Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
rossbrunson4
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 288997
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
WRB

Default Given Acessport V1. Some Questions

My friend gave me his old V1 because the cable had been torn off the circuit board in the OBD II plug and he doesn't know how to soldier. I gladly took this off his hands and fixed it last night. I never paid much attention to the ins and outs of cobb maps. I have an 02 wrx with a freshly rebuilt 2.0. 10K miles. it currently has an SPT intake, TiTek Catted DP, Invidia catless UP, and I have a DC sports CBE however I took it off because I was so tired of how dam loud it was. I put my stock system on that has an adapter for my DP. I am currently looking to trade my CBE for a borla hush so I get the performance, but my car wont sound as bad as a 16 Year Olds. Given this basic list of mods leaving on my CBE or not, what map would you recommend I run if any? I dont need the Intake + UP + DP + CBE = Stage 2. I would really appreciate somebody who knows the ins and outs of the exact intake I have and catted DP 3" and all that. I have heard simply not running a Cobb or AEM intake with the factory maps can cause serious engine problems. If thats the case, I will just wait and get a pro tune at FRS. or get a street tune from a local guy I finally trust to hopefully pretty please not blow anything up. This car is a daily driver and I am really not concerned about getting 300+ hp. I just want the computer to maximize my bolt ons if possible for free fun right now. If there is already a post on this my bad. like I said I have just never really put much time in looking at Cobb deets. always prefered an opensource approach.
Thanks,
Ross
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
rossbrunson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossbrunson4 View Post
My friend gave me his old V1 because the cable had been torn off the circuit board in the OBD II plug and he doesn't know how to soldier. I gladly took this off his hands and fixed it last night. I never paid much attention to the ins and outs of cobb maps. I have an 02 wrx with a freshly rebuilt 2.0. 10K miles. it currently has an SPT intake, TiTek Catted DP, Invidia catless UP, and I have a DC sports CBE however I took it off because I was so tired of how dam loud it was. I put my stock system on that has an adapter for my DP. I am currently looking to trade my CBE for a borla hush so I get the performance, but my car wont sound as bad as a 16 Year Olds. Given this basic list of mods leaving on my CBE or not, what map would you recommend I run if any? I dont need the Intake + UP + DP + CBE = Stage 2. I would really appreciate somebody who knows the ins and outs of the exact intake I have and catted DP 3" and all that. I have heard simply not running a Cobb or AEM intake with the factory maps can cause serious engine problems. If thats the case, I will just wait and get a pro tune at FRS. or get a street tune from a local guy I finally trust to hopefully pretty please not blow anything up. This car is a daily driver and I am really not concerned about getting 300+ hp. I just want the computer to maximize my bolt ons if possible for free fun right now. If there is already a post on this my bad. like I said I have just never really put much time in looking at Cobb deets. always prefered an opensource approach.
Thanks,
Ross
For 02-05 WRX, only the stock and Cobb SF intake are compatible with these maps. Any other intake will require a custom tune. Regardless of whether you are running the stock catback or not, if you have an aftermarket downpipe, you will want to run the stage 2 map.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
rossbrunson4
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX
WRB

Thanks!
I have the entire stock intake assembly. If I put a K&N filter in it and take out the silencer box and snorkel (ram air?) piece isnt the stock intake just as good as any aftermarket (for the most part) if I am just running a Stage 2 map. I mean if I had a fire breathing 500+HP car or even something with more aggressive bolt ons I could see where running a better intake or one of the giant diameter short Ram intakes for beast turbos. I have just heard this as far as the stock airbox goes.
So basically Im gonna throw on stock intake. Pull silencer and drop in a lightly oiled K&N. In addition I will have Invidia catless UP. 3" single catted DP. and stock CBE with janky welded on adapter to 3" for DP. I can swap out the my high flow CBE and see the difference. I just want to make sure that if I run the car as described above that it will be safe. I don't romp on the car and dont intend to. I had a 94 accord LX 5spd when I was 16 that was used to get the 5K drop clutch starts out of my system. Smoking those tiny mismatched front tires ooo baby. I think i hit 100 MPH once haha.
But seriously can you please verify I wont blow something up with this nonspecific stage 2 tune?

Again. 10K on motor. Stock intake with K&N and silencer removed. invidia catless UP. TiTek catted 3" DP. Stock CBE or DC Sports CBE (I will put on either one if there is a safety difference. If not I will just take the power loss from the stock CBE since I need a reasonably quiet car). I also have the turbo from a 2006 WRX if that makes any difference. If I can utilize this AP to get a little more power until I can afford a few more bolt ons and my street tune then I am in. If anyone has any concerns for my engine safety, I can wait.

Thank you for your input,

Ross
Old 11-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
rossbrunson4
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX
WRB

Bill,

One more question please. What are the benefits of getting a Pro Tune versus a street open source tune from a local tuner? There is a guy here in Santa Barbara who does street tunes in a company with his father. After some background checks and extensive explinations of exactly what he was going to do and his background and experience with the cars I am very confident that he will do a safe conservative tune comparable to a stage 2 tune. proposed ballpark of 17Lbs boost. He also ran a diagnostic on my car for free. We did several 3rd gear pulls. My knock rating (correct me if that is the wrong terminology) was excellent or basically perfect. The motor is just freshly broken in. I was considering grabbing a larger TMIC before my Pro or street tune. Most likely trading my DC CBE for a Borla Hush tomorrow. If you think that my stock intake with K&N will be as good as anything else, then I don't see any reason for a different intake? Any other bolt ons you recommend before my tune? I can wait around a little longer and save if there are a few parts that are really worth it. I have been getting Poo Pooed left and right for running a catted DP, but I just don't think it is worth the minor performance gains for the risk, pollution, hassle.

If I get a Pro tune, Can I use this AP V1? There is no difference when it comes to Pro Tunes on a V1 Vs. V2 correct? I am good friends with Ian Sai-Narm, the owner of FSR motorsports. I went to school with his brother for years so I was wanting to support his shop if I go with a Pro Tune. What are the benefits of the Pro Tune over street? aren't most dyno tunes "de tuned" for safety anyways? If I can use my free V1, the Pro Tune will actually cost me less, but after I pay the initial fee to the local tuner, he will make adjustments for free as I add parts ( I am sure he wouldnt do this if I asked him to tune for a "really awesome" atmospheric BOV haha... Those add 50WHP right? jk ) but he did say that he would re tune it for any bolt ons I add.

Please "sell me" on the Pro Tune, or if you prefer the street tune, I will go that route. I am aware of my options, but considering your knowledge if there are a few boltons that you recommend I add, I am all ears.

Thanks again,

Ross
Old 11-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Stock intake with K&N panel filter will be fine with our OTS maps for this car. The problem with aftermarket intakes that are not calibrated for in the map is that they can cause load errors which can cause issues with fueling and ignition timing, which can potentially lead to knock issues.

If you wish to get a protune via the AccessPORT, you will definitely want to upgrade to the version 2 AccessPORT. The version 1 AccessPORT that you own has been discontinued awhile back and the hardware is quite old. Memory is limited which can limit the tuning possibilities. The latest and greatest Cobb AccessTUNER tuning software can only be used with the version 2 AccessPORT. With the version 2 AccessPORT, you will also gain standalone data logging where you can select from hundreds of data monitors (so you can monitor how your motor responds to a map), launch control feature, the potential for speed density tuning, performance monitoring, free AccessTUNER Race tuning software (for end-user tuning), recent ground-up new OTS maps for 02-05 WRX, and more. We do offer a $200 trade-in credit towards the purchase of a version 2 AccessPORT (through us directly) when you trade-in your version 1 AccessPORT. Details here:
http://www.cobbtuning.com/AccessPort...in-s/70459.htm

Regardless of whether you are going with an AccessPORT custom tune or an OS custom tune, you will basically have these options (depending on what is available in your area): A custom tune on the dyno, a road tune, or an e-tune. An e-tune is where the tuner remotely tunes you car based on data logs that you send them. Regardless of what you decide to go with, make sure you check into the reputation of the tuner beforehand. A nightmare scenario is the guy down the street that says he does great tunes and seems like he knows what he's talking about, but really doesn't. It is very easy for someone to destroy your motor in short time if they do not know what they are doing. That is not to say that someone without a store front can't do a good tune, but you want to check around to see what others have said. If no one in the forums (including the local forums) have ever heard of the guy, then I would be wary.

The following is a list of protuners/e-tuners available for AccessPORT tuning:
http://www.cobbtuning.com/Dealer-Ret...or-s/70471.htm

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote