Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Subbie_Lover
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338437
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default Can i boost my 2.5TS impreza? PLEASE HELP

Can someone tell me if its possible boosting my 2.5TS Impreza? And how much it would cost? Would really appreciate it if someone told me.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Subbie_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
GrumpyPitbull
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313311
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Default

Can it be done? Yes.

As for cost ... 4k or more for quality parts.
GrumpyPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
NoGraffix
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276209
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Windy City
Vehicle:
I am Rub
Function>Form

Default

not worth it unless you just want a time/money consuming project... in thbat case get a home or a wife
NoGraffix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Subbie_Lover
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338437
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default

You know what parts on the car would have to be changed?
Subbie_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
NoGraffix
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276209
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Windy City
Vehicle:
I am Rub
Function>Form

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbie_Lover View Post
You know what parts on the car would have to be changed?
If you have to ask I can tell you that you have no business trying to bost your car. Save up and buy the WRX or STI.


If you really want to do the swap a simple search can produce the answers you're looking for
NoGraffix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Subbie_Lover
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338437
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default

Alrighty then..thanks!
Subbie_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
V8Slayer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 111565
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Winnipeg
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy 2.5GT
Boosted & meth injection!

Default

Hey subbie_lover. The short answer is yes. You can go full out and get a complete turbo kit from AVO, a Raptor supercharger kit or like a lot of us do and just make your own. Some people have been able to do it as cheap as $500, some like me have close to $4500 into our builds, it all depends how you want to go about it. Check out http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50, lots of good info and builds in here.

Not a current pic but you get the idea
V8Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
GrumpyPitbull
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313311
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbie_Lover View Post
You know what parts on the car would have to be changed?
Many parts need to be replaced, and added to the engine ... and I am not going to write a full "how-to" on how to do this. In your case, you would obviously need to hire a shop to do this, which will of course add to the price tag.

Your other option is a complete engine swap, which is the route most people take who want to add turbo to a non turbo model.

If this is a project/fun car, it is quite involving but can result in a cool car if it is one of the GC (pre 2002) body styles. The coupes are especially cool IMO.

Since you mention a TS, I am going to assume it is an 04-05 wagon ... if so, don't waste your time, just sell it and buy a car with turbo.
GrumpyPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Groundup
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 294682
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
02 wrx
Sedona Red

Default

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f7/t3541-...-5-thread.html

Start with google first next time. And if you are going to turbo your car then you'll want to get very familiar that forum. RS25.com. Good luck.
Groundup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
V8Slayer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 111565
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Winnipeg
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy 2.5GT
Boosted & meth injection!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGraffix View Post
If you have to ask I can tell you that you have no business trying to bost your car. Save up and buy the WRX or STI.
Everyone has to start somewhere, if the OP wants to spend his hard earned money to turbo his car who are we to say no. Op read these link and decide if this is still something you want to tackle.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f7/t72808...need-know.html
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f7/t3541-...-5-thread.html
V8Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Subbie_Lover
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338437
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default

Yea I own a 03 TS and thanks for all the information really appreciate you guys helping me out!
Subbie_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
GrumpyPitbull
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313311
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbie_Lover View Post
Yea I own a 03 TS and thanks for all the information really appreciate you guys helping me out!
OK, yeah I would not tackle it on an 03 ... just not worth it. Not trying to bash you for considering it, just being honest with you.

You typically see people adding turbo/engine swaps to the pre 2002 cars, since the turbo models were not available here in the US during that time. That is why all the info, including the links above, are for those cars.

In your case, the 03 WRX was available here in the US .. so for the amount of time and money you would pour into it, you could probably just buy a 2003 WRX.
GrumpyPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
Subbie_Lover
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338437
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default

Okay might just end up selling my car then and buying a WRX. Thanks again for all the info guys!
Subbie_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #14
GrumpyPitbull
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313311
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbie_Lover View Post
Okay might just end up selling my car then and buying a WRX. Thanks again for all the info guys!
Or buy a GC and do the swap .

It's a project I've been considering for quite awhile myself ... just have not found the right car for the right price to do it on yet.
GrumpyPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #15
adevney
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 271383
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Sedan
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGraffix

If you have to ask I can tell you that you have no business trying to bost your car. Save up and buy the WRX or STI.

If you really want to do the swap a simple search can produce the answers you're looking for
^ the reason that this site can turn away new people in a hurry
adevney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
NoGraffix
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276209
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Windy City
Vehicle:
I am Rub
Function>Form

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevney View Post
^ the reason that this site can turn away new people in a hurry

See but my posts were honest and helpful. You're posts are the reason people leave this site, because you clutter up the forums with bullcrap like that. I gave the OP my honest opinion about his situation. If you have to ask a blanket question lik he did, then there is ALOT more research involved. Sorry if you get butthurt by an honest response. This is the internet so grow some balls or hush and continue lurking.
NoGraffix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
adevney
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 271383
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Sedan
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGraffix

See but my posts were honest and helpful. You're posts are the reason people leave this site, because you clutter up the forums with bullcrap like that. I gave the OP my honest opinion about his situation. If you have to ask a blanket question lik he did, then there is ALOT more research involved. Sorry if you get butthurt by an honest response. This is the internet so grow some balls or hush and continue lurking.
You sound like the one who is upset here. Trust me, I'm fine thanks. I'm sure my response is not the reason people leave the site. Nice try.
adevney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #18
jayman4312
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 228784
Join Date: Nov 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago, IL
Vehicle:
2004 wrx
black, stage 2+

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevney View Post
You sound like the one who is upset here. Trust me, I'm fine thanks. I'm sure my response is not the reason people leave the site. Nice try.
Im leaving only because of you.

He gave a right answer, you cried about it even when the op was satisfied with the answer....
jayman4312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #19
adevney
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 271383
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Sedan
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman4312

Im leaving only because of you.

He gave a right answer, you cried about it even when the op was satisfied with the answer....
You crack me up.
adevney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
i_c_the_light
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88618
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: New Zealand
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy
"The Silver Slug"

Default

Swaps and conversions are fun. But you really want to rape the search function first. I still do for my current project. It's a big job, but surprisingly easier than you think. Just be prepared to replace broken things when it goes tits up on you.
i_c_the_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #21
JSchell1309
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 321321
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Kansas City, MO
Vehicle:
'11 STI Hatchback
Dom 1.5XTR, E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman4312 View Post
Im leaving only because of you. He gave a right answer, you cried about it even when the op was satisfied with the answer....
I agree. I found all the responses in this thread helpful besides adevney complaining.

His statement iof "if you have to ask then its not for you" is 100% true. No offense to the OP but if you have to ask what parts need to be swapped to go from NA to FI then this is not a project on your skill level. OP just needs to research more to fully understand what he is asking. All info posted here is a great start.
JSchell1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #22
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevney View Post
You sound like the one who is upset here. Trust me, I'm fine thanks. I'm sure my response is not the reason people leave the site. Nice try.
Your responses are nothing more then pandering for an argument. The OP had his question answered honestly and truthfully. We're not here to spoon feed or be nice to everyone and their families with every single answer. Being that your only posts in here were bashing on someone that does help the community is actually quite funny. Don't complain about people running from the site when you're posting negative stuff for no reason.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #23
Unabomber
Big Ron
Moderator
 
Member#: 18062
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I can save you a ton of cash
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Default

Kick his ass Seabass!
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #24
Tkacik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 847
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Greensboro, Georgia
Vehicle:
'06 Titan Crew Cab
'03 Odyssey - EXL/RES

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGraffix View Post
See but my posts were honest and helpful. You're posts are the reason people leave this site, because you clutter up the forums with bullcrap like that. I gave the OP my honest opinion about his situation. If you have to ask a blanket question lik he did, then there is ALOT more research involved. Sorry if you get butthurt by an honest response. This is the internet so grow some balls or hush and continue lurking.
Thank you for being honest with him.
Tkacik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #25
NoGraffix
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276209
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Windy City
Vehicle:
I am Rub
Function>Form

Default

Best thread ever. OP asks questions ---> gets truthful answers ---> accepts the answers, takes advice, and plans accordingly

Can you say WIN?!@#!$


And for once people don't all jump on the "be nice to the OP band wagon," and tell the guy wasting space on the forum to hush. Maybe the tide really is turning for NASIOC in a good way
NoGraffix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.