Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 31, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #51
Blur125
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88514
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickyazon View Post
let me see the front ....
Eh...just go look at your switch bezel?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Blur125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #52
Guzzi 1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338666
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Northeast Ohio
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Limited
SWP/Blk Leather CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur125 View Post
Is there a gap between the lights and the chrome bezel for you?
Yes, there is a very slight gap. Since the lights ar not mounted directly to the piece in the bumper.

Back to your pic, were you able to obtain the switch bezel alone or did you have to end up buying the kit?

John
Guzzi 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #53
kzinti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340730
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur125 View Post
Is there a gap between the lights and the chrome bezel for you?
A slight one at the bottom, but it doesn't bother me. It's not worst than when the honeycomb piece was on there?
kzinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #54
Blur125
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88514
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi 1 View Post
Yes, there is a very slight gap. Since the lights ar not mounted directly to the piece in the bumper.

Back to your pic, were you able to obtain the switch bezel alone or did you have to end up buying the kit?

John
I found a guy on here selling the OEM Kit for $150. I jumped on it, dunno if he has any left. His username is Sense of Nature. Sent him a paypal payment and had the lights in less than a week.
Blur125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #55
Vince_dube
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 341016
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

Not to go of topic but quick question, what color are the '11 base STi hids. So I know what to match in the fog lights
Vince_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #56
Blur125
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88514
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_dube View Post
Not to go of topic but quick question, what color are the '11 base STi hids. So I know what to match in the fog lights
Maybe 4300k, but I'd research it, Found this thread:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478668
Blur125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #57
Blur125
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88514
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

So here's a question...

The lights are white. Not very good for "fog" purposes.

What do you guys think of replacing the fog light bulbs with a 3000k HID kit? The color temp of 3000k should be better (more yellow) for fog, no?

For color comparison, I like this site's image:

http://www.hidkitwarehouse.com/

And for further comparison:

Blur125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #58
sport6
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 190479
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Ashburnham, MA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX - Blurple
2012 Impreza- Deep Cherry

Default

Okay here's a question, seeing how the wiring is there and everything... I wonder if we can just swap the actual light stalk on the steering column for the ones with the fog lights. On one of the trademotion sites the ones with and without foglights are both 63 bucks.

My plan would be buy the ebay lights, buy the chrome accent foglight pieces, the relay, and the headlight stalk.. all would be about 160 plus shipping.

I'd like that better than a separate switch
sport6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #59
Girion47
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 240113
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Louisville, KY
Vehicle:
2010 WRB WRX 5dr
2013 DGM WRX 4dr

Default

Foglights don't come with the premium now? They were part of the premium package for 2010. wtf?
Girion47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #60
Blackmamba24kb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330797
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5dr Prm
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur125 View Post
Haha I had the opposite experience. Switch bezel was a pain in the butt and I definitely ruined the old plate getting the switches out. I definitely wouldn't think about cutting the original plate for the fog light switch, it wouldn't look pretty unless you deem yourself skilled in plastic cutting.

Relay wasn't as bad for me, glove box came right out when you disconnect the catch on the right side. I pulled way more screws though than the install manual called for. Almost freaked out when I saw white padding, thinking it was my airbag. I was lucky it was only padding between the plastic and airbag container.

Lights were pretty simple, just remove body clips and one screw to get access to the light ports. Had to pull on the wiring a little bit to get the slack I needed, but all is well and the lights work great.

2 Things I noticed though:

1) There's a slight hum when the car is on but not started.
2) There's a slight gap between the lights and light bezel, which could allow for moisture to get in.

Anyone else have that, or for those with stock lights installed, do you see a gap?
not sure about humming noise but i know there is noise when you press on the switch to turn them on, its a click sound from the relay.

as for the gap, i noticed that too. i didnt buy the entire kit, i actually had a subaru parts store find out all the pieces that i needed from the kit (he was nice enough to take apart a kit and get all the parts numbers) then he ordered them separately for me, came out way cheaper than the whole kit. anyways it came with some foam strips (not sure what they were for since i didnt have the instructions) so i had to figure it out on my own for the install (not rocket science; just need a service manual to know where things are). i used the foam to "seal" or at least close the gap so that dirt and dust doesnt get in as easily.

as for whether the gap is normal, it is. When i took the car for oil change i looked at the new cars with factory installed fogs and they had the exact same gaps. its just the fog covers and fogs lights not sitting perfectly as one would think but i guess its not a big deal if they come like that even from the factory. no problems with it so far (then again im without my subie since it got rear ended, should be getting it back soon).

Sorry for the long post
Blackmamba24kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #61
Blackmamba24kb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330797
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5dr Prm
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sport6 View Post
Okay here's a question, seeing how the wiring is there and everything... I wonder if we can just swap the actual light stalk on the steering column for the ones with the fog lights. On one of the trademotion sites the ones with and without foglights are both 63 bucks.

My plan would be buy the ebay lights, buy the chrome accent foglight pieces, the relay, and the headlight stalk.. all would be about 160 plus shipping.

I'd like that better than a separate switch
that was my original intention when i installed my fogs. i actually had the stalk and had to send it back. I sent it back because the stalk with the fog switch also has the auto headlight mode/switch. I didnt want to install it since my car doesnt have auto headlight. I considered change it so that it had auto headlight on/off (which i wish i had) BUT to enable that you need the sensor that sits on the dash and i figured it was too much of a hassle to deal with at that point since you have to buy the sensor and install it after taking off the dash.

but it is do-able. in the end the switch looks and works fine. i like you wanted it factory like but just went with the button.
Blackmamba24kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #62
sport6
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 190479
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Ashburnham, MA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX - Blurple
2012 Impreza- Deep Cherry

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmamba24kb View Post

that was my original intention when i installed my fogs. i actually had the stalk and had to send it back. I sent it back because the stalk with the fog switch also has the auto headlight mode/switch. I didnt want to install it since my car doesnt have auto headlight. I considered change it so that it had auto headlight on/off (which i wish i had) BUT to enable that you need the sensor that sits on the dash and i figured it was too much of a hassle to deal with at that point since you have to buy the sensor and install it after taking off the dash.

but it is do-able. in the end the switch looks and works fine. i like you wanted it factory like but just went with the button.
Thanks for the input! Good to hear of someone trying the same thing. I will likely just buy the full package but was just trying to see if I could save a buck or two and get that factory look.
sport6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #63
tsefcik24
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315092
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Dark Gray

Default Relay question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur125 View Post
Haha I had the opposite experience. Switch bezel was a pain in the butt and I definitely ruined the old plate getting the switches out. I definitely wouldn't think about cutting the original plate for the fog light switch, it wouldn't look pretty unless you deem yourself skilled in plastic cutting.

Relay wasn't as bad for me, glove box came right out when you disconnect the catch on the right side. I pulled way more screws though than the install manual called for. Almost freaked out when I saw white padding, thinking it was my airbag. I was lucky it was only padding between the plastic and airbag container.

Lights were pretty simple, just remove body clips and one screw to get access to the light ports. Had to pull on the wiring a little bit to get the slack I needed, but all is well and the lights work great.

2 Things I noticed though:

1) There's a slight hum when the car is on but not started.
2) There's a slight gap between the lights and light bezel, which could allow for moisture to get in.

Anyone else have that, or for those with stock lights installed, do you see a gap?

For the relay, was it a four prong relay or five prong relay?
tsefcik24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #64
Blur125
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88514
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsefcik24 View Post
For the relay, was it a four prong relay or five prong relay?
Sorry man, didn't take notice to how many prongs.
Blur125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #65
Phelony Jones
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 346478
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

Just got my wife her second Subie, a 2012 Imp premium. I'd like to add the fogs. What does it take to get the switch bezel out? Just some time in an odd, upside down position under the dash?

Thanks, this thread has really helped.
Phelony Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #66
Blackmamba24kb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330797
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5dr Prm
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelony Jones View Post
Just got my wife her second Subie, a 2012 Imp premium. I'd like to add the fogs. What does it take to get the switch bezel out? Just some time in an odd, upside down position under the dash?

Thanks, this thread has really helped.
basically....the relay install location for the fogs are on the passenger side behind the glove box...i choose to remove the entire glove box during my install but I've heard you can get to it from underneath and behind the box....i removed the box so that I could figure out which slot was the correct. i bought mines piece meal so didnt have instructions. i had to look it up through the schematics.
Blackmamba24kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #67
Blackmamba24kb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330797
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5dr Prm
Satin White Pearl

Default

i was originally going to put HID in my fogs but after reading about that idea, i scrapped it because I didnt want 1. the car to catch fire 2. damage to the harness since the fog housing are small and won't dissipate the heat well..just my own preference even though i've seen so many cars with HIDs in fog.

safety first....plus having blinding bright fogs might work against you in the chance you need them for fog etc. im in so cal so its more for looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur125 View Post
So here's a question...

The lights are white. Not very good for "fog" purposes.

What do you guys think of replacing the fog light bulbs with a 3000k HID kit? The color temp of 3000k should be better (more yellow) for fog, no?

For color comparison, I like this site's image:

http://www.hidkitwarehouse.com/

And for further comparison:

Xenon HID 3000k vs 4300k - YouTube
Blackmamba24kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #68
Blur125
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88514
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelony Jones View Post
Just got my wife her second Subie, a 2012 Imp premium. I'd like to add the fogs. What does it take to get the switch bezel out? Just some time in an odd, upside down position under the dash?

Thanks, this thread has really helped.
It's about an 1-2 hour job depending on your skill set. If you buy the full on kit, there are instructions included, though no words, just pictures. Here's the PDF:

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/661...FogLampKit.pdf

Should provide you everything you need to know. Its relatively simple.
Blur125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #69
Phelony Jones
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 346478
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur125 View Post
It's about an 1-2 hour job depending on your skill set. If you buy the full on kit, there are instructions included, though no words, just pictures. Here's the PDF:

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/661...FogLampKit.pdf

Should provide you everything you need to know. Its relatively simple.
Thanks! The on-off switch is my only real concern now. Looks like a real monkey job to get under the dash and get the 2 screws out. The pictograph instructions are such nice head scratchers. Everything else looks easy enough.

I should have mentioned my brother (70) has a WRX. He don't drive slow either.
Phelony Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #70
Blur125
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88514
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmamba24kb View Post
i was originally going to put HID in my fogs but after reading about that idea, i scrapped it because I didnt want 1. the car to catch fire 2. damage to the harness since the fog housing are small and won't dissipate the heat well..just my own preference even though i've seen so many cars with HIDs in fog.

safety first....plus having blinding bright fogs might work against you in the chance you need them for fog etc. im in so cal so its more for looks.
Yea I am a little worried about the melting/burning of the bumper and housing. I have a cheap set of Xentecs I'm going to try out first as a test run. If they work out, might look at upgrading. Luckily the Fog lights themselves are only $40, so if they melt, its not a huge loss. Not too concerned about the "flare" or "bleed" from these lights though, as the reflective housings are small (< 3"). Will report back once I get them loaded up.
Blur125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #71
Blur125
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88514
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelony Jones View Post
Thanks! The on-off switch is my only real concern now. Looks like a real monkey job to get under the dash and get the 2 screws out. The pictograph instructions are such nice head scratchers. Everything else looks easy enough.

I should have mentioned my brother (70) has a WRX. He don't drive slow either.
Well unless your over 250 lbs with a giant beer gut, it won't be that hard to get down and monkey around under the dash.
Blur125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #72
Blackmamba24kb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330797
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5dr Prm
Satin White Pearl

Default

dang where was the pdf when i was installing mines...haha o wells, glad it worked out hahaha i love the internet. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur125 View Post
It's about an 1-2 hour job depending on your skill set. If you buy the full on kit, there are instructions included, though no words, just pictures. Here's the PDF:

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/661...FogLampKit.pdf

Should provide you everything you need to know. Its relatively simple.
Blackmamba24kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #73
scoutisimo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315759
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Harrisburg, Pa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5 Door
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quick post so I can this later as a reference. Im liking the a la cart option for the fogs.
scoutisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #74
Phelony Jones
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 346478
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur125 View Post

Well unless your over 250 lbs with a giant beer gut, it won't be that hard to get down and monkey around under the dash.
Thanks, glad I quit drinking then. Looks like a job for Spring.
Phelony Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #75
tsefcik24
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315092
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Dark Gray

Default relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmamba24kb View Post
basically....the relay install location for the fogs are on the passenger side behind the glove box...i choose to remove the entire glove box during my install but I've heard you can get to it from underneath and behind the box....i removed the box so that I could figure out which slot was the correct. i bought mines piece meal so didnt have instructions. i had to look it up through the schematics.
where did you buy your relay? I have all the parts, just need a relay.
tsefcik24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.