Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 3, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #301
WREXMachina
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 275929
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1 View Post
Saw this review and thought about all you intrepid people:

http://reviews.cnet.com/power-device...-35560414.html

A possible solution to your charging issues?



I have a question for you Nexus 7 users...do any of you know of a good keyboard or keyboard case for it? I am buying my wifey one soon and she will use a keyboard for typing notes in class.
That's just a standard 2A charger.

What I used in mine was to get a 12v to 5v 3A switching convertering, and hook it up into the clock pod circuit. It's switched power, and has the juice to run it. I've run that converter in there for the better part of a year without any issues whatsoever.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
WREXMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #302
Wavemandan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 341351
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Stuart, fl
Vehicle:
2007 Sti
Pearl White

Default

Sweet. What a great idea.
Wavemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #303
ScubyPhilly
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 213303
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl303 View Post
Might wait a few months to see what the next gen tablets come out. I hear samsung is going to pop out a 1080p screen and quad core (probably with sdxc too which is huge imo although I still want a fm tuner).
Intel just announced their entry into the mobile processor race with the mobile versions of the i5 and i7, you can bet that there will be new tablets/phones coming out soon.
ScubyPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #304
sabregen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338852
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Mesa, AZ
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Premium
WR Blue

Default

in technology you can wait for the next big thing, or you can pull the trigger. there's always something better just around the corner.

additionally, intel has had mobile i7's and i5's for years now. my samsung S7 ultrabook has one, as do many other mobile platforms. i'm not sure what you're getting at here.
sabregen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #305
cm26484
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 284582
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Orlando
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

I have my nexus 7 temporarily installed on my dash until I get the rest of the parts in the mail. I noticed a problem for me. When my tablet is in landscape mode and I am wearing my polarized sunglasses I can not see the screen. Being that I live in Florida this is a big problem. I guess I will have to get different sunglasses that are not polarized, or if I do, they must be at a different angle than the nexus 7.

Not sure if this is an issue with anyone else, but wanted to bring it up.
cm26484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #306
Andrew025
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 303408
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, Or
Vehicle:
04 STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabregen View Post
in technology you can wait for the next big thing, or you can pull the trigger. there's always something better just around the corner.

additionally, intel has had mobile i7's and i5's for years now. my samsung S7 ultrabook has one, as do many other mobile platforms. i'm not sure what you're getting at here.
I think he means mobile as in tablets and phones.
Andrew025 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #307
metajames
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 204765
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2008 STi
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm26484 View Post
I have my nexus 7 temporarily installed on my dash until I get the rest of the parts in the mail. I noticed a problem for me. When my tablet is in landscape mode and I am wearing my polarized sunglasses I can not see the screen. Being that I live in Florida this is a big problem. I guess I will have to get different sunglasses that are not polarized, or if I do, they must be at a different angle than the nexus 7.

Not sure if this is an issue with anyone else, but wanted to bring it up.
I just finished my build and had that same issue during my testing phase, since I'm in SoCal we have similar problems. One of the things I did in my build was add a matte screen protector to cut down on glass glare. Surprisingly it pretty much eliminated the polarized sunglasses problem at the same time. It is still a little brighter and clearer when you turn your head but in normal driving position it is perfectly readable with polorized sunglasses. I used the tech armor one from amazon. It actually gives a very pleasing factory like finish to the screen. If you notice no OEM or aftermarket head units have glossy screens because of glare. I love how it worked out.

Amazon.com: Tech Armor Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint (Matte) Screen Protector with Lifetime Replacement Warranty for Google Nexus 7 Tablet [3-Pack]: Computers & AccessoriesAmazon.com: Tech Armor Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint (Matte) Screen Protector with Lifetime Replacement Warranty for Google Nexus 7 Tablet [3-Pack]: Computers & Accessories
metajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #308
rkl303
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 171314
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2008 STI
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubyPhilly View Post
Intel just announced their entry into the mobile processor race with the mobile versions of the i5 and i7, you can bet that there will be new tablets/phones coming out soon.
Think I remember reading the intel processors ate a little too power hungry unless you are referring to the atom processors. That said I'm hoping this march provides some nice 7" tabs.

Also hoping the haswell ultrabooks/convertibles run a bit cooler so my nuts dont fry. My buddy has a yoga and its nice but he complains it can run too hot as a "lap" top.
rkl303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #309
rkl303
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 171314
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2008 STI
OBP

Default

I know it was covered already but I can't find the post. How are you guys measuring amps provided? I bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/251176956166...84.m1439.l2649 in the hopes that it works a bit better than what you guys are using but haven't tried it yet and would like to provide comment on it.
rkl303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #310
metajames
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 204765
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2008 STi
OBP

Default

I'm using the Rocketfish "Dual USB Vehicle Charger" from best buy and it charges the tablet no problem. It is 3.1A and I have a socket wired up to the acc switched radio power connections that the Rocketfish plugs into.

I went through a few "high amperage" chargers before finding one that works.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfi...2#BVRRWidgetID
metajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #311
metajames
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 204765
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2008 STi
OBP

Default

I just finished my install over the weekend. Here are a few final pics.







Since I already had a Parrot system in the car the audio part was taken care of.

I created a dummy insert with the same dimensions as a standard double din but not as deep to accomodate the thickness of the tablet. I then glued (sugru) a snap on N7 back cover from ebay to the face of the insert so I can snap the tablet in and out for servicing. The dummy DIN insert is held into the dash using the OEM mount points with the "wings" transplanted from a double din mounting kit. This ensures I have the correct angles to mate with the trim pannel. I'm using the trim pannel from a USDM navi model.

A bit hard to visualize, I will gather some photos of the innards over the next few days and post them.

All together I'm pretty pleased with how this came out, the overall fit and finish is oem looking and secure.

My Parts List:

Subaru of America Double DIN AV Panel
Google Nexus 7
Parrot MKi 9100
Rocketfish Dual USB Vehicle Charger
Tech Armor Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint (Matte) Screen Protector
eBay snap on back cover for mounting N7
Custom built acrylic double DIN sized "box" as a support
Metra 95-8902 Double DIN Installation Kit cannibalized for brackets
Metra 70-7552 Radio Wiring Harness for power tap
Enercell 12VDC Vehicle Power Accessory Outlet
StarTech.com Micro USB Cable - A to Right Angle Micro B
metajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #312
rkl303
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 171314
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2008 STI
OBP

Default



Looks like the ebay charger is recognized as an AC unit which is great
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Converter...1176956166%26#

Don't know why it says 4 amps though although my galaxy note 2 OEM AC unit is recognized as ~4amps as well even though it says 2 amps on the charger
rkl303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #313
rkl303
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 171314
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2008 STI
OBP

Default

Brilliant idea to use tablet cover back as a mount. Do you have a picture/link of which cover you mutilated as a removeable mount? I'm thinking it's this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-Asus-...item416d198751 but not sure.

Also could you post the thickness (height from screws probably) of the acrylic box/bracket you made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metajames View Post
I just finished my install over the weekend. Here are a few final pics.

Since I already had a Parrot system in the car the audio part was taken care of.

I created a dummy insert with the same dimensions as a standard double din but not as deep to accomodate the thickness of the tablet. I then glued (sugru) a snap on N7 back cover from ebay to the face of the insert so I can snap the tablet in and out for servicing. The dummy DIN insert is held into the dash using the OEM mount points with the "wings" transplanted from a double din mounting kit. This ensures I have the correct angles to mate with the trim pannel. I'm using the trim pannel from a USDM navi model.

A bit hard to visualize, I will gather some photos of the innards over the next few days and post them.

All together I'm pretty pleased with how this came out, the overall fit and finish is oem looking and secure.

My Parts List:

Subaru of America Double DIN AV Panel
Google Nexus 7
Parrot MKi 9100
Rocketfish Dual USB Vehicle Charger
Tech Armor Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint (Matte) Screen Protector
eBay snap on back cover for mounting N7
Custom built acrylic double DIN sized "box" as a support
Metra 95-8902 Double DIN Installation Kit cannibalized for brackets
Metra 70-7552 Radio Wiring Harness for power tap
Enercell 12VDC Vehicle Power Accessory Outlet
StarTech.com Micro USB Cable - A to Right Angle Micro B
rkl303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #314
metajames
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 204765
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2008 STi
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl303 View Post
Brilliant idea to use tablet cover back as a mount. Do you have a picture/link of which cover you mutilated as a removeable mount? I'm thinking it's this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-Asus-...item416d198751 but not sure.

Also could you post the thickness (height from screws probably) of the acrylic box/bracket you made?
No I used this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-nexus...item35c3ab0b96

"Google nexus 7 Tab High Quality Rigid Plastic Back Protection Cover Case BLACK"

The seller is "toolmld" he has several different cases, I selected this one explicitly because it was labeled as "rigid".

My criteria was:

- I only wanted a bare snap on back
- Had to be hard plastic, not gel or be too floppy
- Can be bonded to acrylic using some sort of strong adhesive (I don't like mounting with velcro)
- Black
- US Seller
metajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #315
metajames
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 204765
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2008 STi
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl303 View Post
Also could you post the thickness (height from screws probably) of the acrylic box/bracket you made?
The box was made from 1/4" acrylic sheet, outside dimensions were 4"x7"x5.5" I kept the back of the box open for mounting power adapters, usb hubs, DAC and other support gear if needed.
metajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #316
rkl303
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 171314
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2008 STI
OBP

Default

Hmmm not what I was thinking. I guess I'll have wait to see the pictures on that one.
rkl303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #317
metajames
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 204765
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2008 STi
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl303 View Post
Hmmm not what I was thinking. I guess I'll have wait to see the pictures on that one.
Here is a pic of the insert during build. It doesn't have face on it yet in this pic but you can imagine one end of this being closed (front part attached to the back cover snap case) and the back being left open. the "wings" bolt into the side panels where the clamp is applying pressure in this picture.

The idea was literally make a dummy of a actual double din radio and slap the tablet snap case to the front of it then mount the whole thing same as a double din HU

metajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #318
metajames
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 204765
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2008 STi
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl303 View Post
holly crap, I need this. Had no idea it existed.
metajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #319
metajames
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 204765
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2008 STi
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metajames View Post
holly crap, I need this. Had no idea it existed.
hurm no landscape mode on the app is kinda a deal breaker.
metajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #320
rkl303
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 171314
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2008 STI
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metajames View Post
hurm no landscape mode on the app is kinda a deal breaker.
I'm sure they can fix it. I just emailed them but yeah that is a definate deal breaker.
rkl303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #321
rkl303
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 171314
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2008 STI
OBP

Default

I think I figured out how I am going to do mine.

Just need to find some cheap sheet metal and fabricate it into a U shape that is 53CM tall roughly 10CM long on both sides and 180CM+/- 2mm width. I'll attach it to my factory brackets that hold the single DIN radio.

I'll make a slot on both sides of the U so that I can adjust the screws that hold the U to the radio bracket until the tablet sits just right and of course I'll be borrowing your rigid cover idea.

Although my cheap/lazy ass is still waiting for the next gen tablets so I'll probably stop by a sheet metal shop tomorrow but won't be completed until much later.
rkl303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #322
rkl303
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 171314
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2008 STI
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl303 View Post
I'm sure they can fix it. I just emailed them but yeah that is a definate deal breaker.
Also lack of multi screen support is a secondary deal breaker.
rkl303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:14 AM   #323
metajames
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 204765
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2008 STi
OBP

Default

Ok guys, here is what I'm talking about. I have also started my own thread showing how I did my install.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2459432



metajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #324
ScubyPhilly
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 213303
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabregen View Post
in technology you can wait for the next big thing, or you can pull the trigger. there's always something better just around the corner.

additionally, intel has had mobile i7's and i5's for years now. my samsung S7 ultrabook has one, as do many other mobile platforms. i'm not sure what you're getting at here.
You're right, I was thinking a Bay Trail which is on the Atom platform due at for the holidays.
ScubyPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #325
sabregen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338852
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Mesa, AZ
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Premium
WR Blue

Default

i picked up the Kingston 32GB Wi-Drive last night from Fry's and price matched it to Amazon. I've added 32Gb of storage to the Nexus 7 and bridged the WiFi network from the Wi-Drive to my FoxFi SSID coming out of the Droid Bionic. Additionally, you do need to use the Android Wi-Drive app to see your media, but once you click on your media, you get to choose what application to open a file with. You don't have to use the player built into the Wi-Drive software, which is great.

the only down side is that you can't use the Wi-Drive while it's charging. Charged, the battery is supposed to last about 4 hours.

...still need to hack up (or order a shorter) right angle micro-USB cable for charging to see if that helps. and fab a new bracket.
sabregen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.