Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-15-2002, 11:35 PM   #1
yardiewrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 14827
Vehicle:
2003 imprezawrx
sedona red no wing

Default quick detailing question

i just got my 03 rex on tues the 10th and it has rained all day everyday down here so tomm i am planning on washing and waxing my car. here is the question i told my pops i am gonna be doing it and he calls me an idiot for wanting to wax a new car is this true or is this some old fashioned rule? so would it harm the already cheap paint by washing and waxing the car? oh and the main reason i am waxing it is because i am debadging the car tomm so i might as well wax it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
yardiewrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 12:03 AM   #2
newbie sewbie
*** Banned ***

Member#: 10615

listen to the man......the factory does have an addition protective coat that should take about 6 months to wear off, some even say a year......so ya, you don't wanna wax your new car
i forgot what that coat is call though

but you can still do your debadge....you can use other chemical to clean it afterward other then wax...lighter fluid works...but i would wax it after that,
newbie sewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 01:50 PM   #3
2k2
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 12368
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2008 Infiniti G35X
2011 BMW X5 Diesel

Wow, no offense but could you ever be so wrong.

It is perfectly fine to wax a new car and in pretty much all cases its reccomended. I hate to be the one to break the bad news to you but your dealership probbaly already introduces swirl marks into your cars paint when they gave it a "courtesy" wash when it was delivered.

Because your car is new you wouldnt have to do much in paint prep. I personally feel that a car gathers enough rail dust on the truck on the way down to warrent a good claying of the car.

Claying is using a small bar of clay and a lubricant to remove surface contaminents such as rail dust from the truck your car rode to the dealership on.

Most likely your car has some form of cheap wax on it right now that the dealership put on the car. I would wash your car with dawn to remove all the wax that is on the car right now. Apart from what people may hvae told you, dawn will NOT hurt your paint.

After washing it with dawn, you really wont need much paint prep and I suggest using a polymer sealant. If your interested in buying some top quality products to keep your paints finish shining and looking like new I will shoot you out alist of some products.

Untill then...

I suggest you head on over to http://autopia.ws/index.php

From there you will begin to learn how to take care of your car the correct way.

Bryan
2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote