Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday October 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
scoobnlude
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 311116
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
MBP

Default Runs fine, then random power loss/weird idle/stalling at stoplight

My car is an 02 wrx on TurboXS UTEC stage 3 tune with supporting mods. The other day I was driving when my car started acting weird. Seemed kinda sputtery with a loss of power. Then I came up to a stoplight and it almost died; I had to play with the throttle to keep it from dying. Parked it, shut it off, started it back up, and it ran fine.

It ran fine until I got off work today. I started it up, it had a weird idle, so I shut it off and started it back up, then it idled fine.

Ran fine for 5 miles in town, until I got to a stoplight a half a block away from my home. Before I got to the stoplight I could feel it was acting different, like a loss of power. Then I rolled up to the stoplight, put it in neutral, and the rpms dropped and it stalled. It didn't wanna start back up right away either, took 5 tries for it to start.

I do know that I have 2 CELs, P0037 (rear o2 sensor) and P1086 (Tumble Generated Valve Position Sensor 2 Circuit Low). I have also noticed sometimes my car seems jerky if I give it about 3/4 throttle. The day this problem started it seemed really sluggish from a stoplight, and didn't really respond to more throttle. Then i pushed all the way down on the throttle and it didn't respond for a second, then caught me off guard by going from barely accelerating to full boost in a split second.

I haven't really heard of the TGV causing issues like mine, but is this possible it's the problem? Especially since it's after the engine is warmed up...isn't the TGV only really for cold starts?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
scoobnlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
djdalaney
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 301136

It sounds like one side of the TGVs maybe stuck closed or partially closed. I'd think a lack of air in one cylinder bank could definitely cause stalling and rough running issues.
djdalaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:56 AM   #3
scoobnlude
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
02 WRX
MBP

If it's the TGV is it possible for it to randomly do this after running fine though? I guess I would think it would do it constantly from start up if it's gonna do it and not drive fine for 10 minutes then have problems all of the sudden. Then again I don't know exactly how the TGV works...
Old 11-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
scoobnlude
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
02 WRX
MBP

And also is there a temporary fix to this til I have time to do TGV deletes? I'd like to be able to drive my car without expecting it to stall on me... Any way to have the TGVs stuck open?