Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
KornShaDoW097
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313618
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South San Diego
Vehicle:
2004 WRX

Default New turbo Wastegate replacement

I'm using a 71HTA on my heavily modded 04 WRX


Boosting 22 and tapering to 18psi around 5300. WG spring is 14psi(cracking) and 22psi (fully stretched)

Only thing is the Wastegate this comes with is useless to control boost in the high rpm. I'm hitting 26.04psi at 5780 with the WGDC at 0 since 5600.

If I add pretension it just loses power on the low end and lowers boost but I don't want loss at lower for safety in upper.



I'd like a Wastegate that fits in its place that has a longer stroke than this does. The gate only seems to open 1/2-3/4 of the way.

To top it all off the WG is leaking boost out of its diaphragm now, after adding pre-tension to check change(didn't when I tested it with a mityvac and logged my boost)

Sorry I haven't checked it's current stroke yet. Hopefully someone knows it anyway.

Thanks

Jonathan
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
KornShaDoW097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
drewvdw
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 255776
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Laramie, WY
Vehicle:
2010 LR WRX
MPS powered.

Default

Sounds like a good reason to go EWG...
drewvdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
spintheground
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239638
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: VA Beach
Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR UGM
02 MR2 EGM

Default

EWG is definitely an option to explore. You can get your current uppipe cut and welded to accommodate one or buy one of the many aftermarket ones that come prefabbed. The former is cheaper for sure.
IIRC it ran me $50 to get my killerb uppipe done.

If you want to stick with IWG there are plenty of options out there. I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer of your turbo (fp?)

First thing that comes to mind is the WG issues Element Tuning had with their GT52 in it's early stages and have since upgraded to a more robust IWG.
spintheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
KornShaDoW097
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313618
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South San Diego
Vehicle:
2004 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvdw View Post
Sounds like a good reason to go EWG...
Yea I now but I've already spent a lot and I have cash saved up to get rid of my TMIC in September. Can't afford to go EWG... Just need a longer stroke IWG actuator.
KornShaDoW097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
KornShaDoW097
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313618
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South San Diego
Vehicle:
2004 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spintheground View Post
EWG is definitely an option to explore. You can get your current uppipe cut and welded to accommodate one or buy one of the many aftermarket ones that come prefabbed. The former is cheaper for sure.
IIRC it ran me $50 to get my killerb uppipe done.

If you want to stick with IWG there are plenty of options out there. I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer of your turbo (fp?)

First thing that comes to mind is the WG issues Element Tuning had with their GT52 in it's early stages and have since upgraded to a more robust IWG.
I see. Yea putting it together isn't an issue. I just don't have the cash to buy one and would just really like this turbo to work properly out of the box... Overboosting even with a restrictive sti TMIC just makes me wonder when I upgrade if it will blow my engine!(28+psi)

I mean the IWG actuator is a joke, 3 months after having it and it leaks boost through it (tested using mityvac) and before it leaked i had THIS issue. Only reason I didn't over boost before is the up pipe leak i had lol. I'm just having a hard time looking for actuator info as far as stroke that they offer.

The spring seems to be the only thing anyone mentions.

If I did go EWG In the future what size is good for 400-450WHP? 38 or 44mm?

I'll call them tomorrow. Thanks

Jon

Last edited by KornShaDoW097; 08-21-2013 at 09:06 AM.
KornShaDoW097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
spintheground
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239638
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: VA Beach
Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR UGM
02 MR2 EGM

Default

I subscribe to Davenows philosophy, you can search for his EWG info thread. Basically money is the only factor. If you can afford the 44 go with that, if not the 38 will suffice.

I'd definitely talk to FP about your Issues though.

I have a buddy who had consistent over boosting on his 68. I'll link him to the thread, perhaps he has insight.
spintheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
bswilmington
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 217563
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Eden NC
Vehicle:
2006 Sti 12.68 @ 108
321WHP 422WTQ dynojet SAE

Default

38 mm will work just fine. If you want to stay wig you can see if any forge units will fit it. I had good luck with one of those awhile back on my stock turbo until I went ewg.

Not sure if it will work but can't you also port the waste gate of turbo to help eliminate boost creep? But yours may be to much for that to work.

Curious do you run an aftermarket cat?
bswilmington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
KornShaDoW097
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313618
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South San Diego
Vehicle:
2004 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spintheground View Post
I subscribe to Davenows philosophy, you can search for his EWG info thread. Basically money is the only factor. If you can afford the 44 go with that, if not the 38 will suffice.

I'd definitely talk to FP about your Issues though.

I have a buddy who had consistent over boosting on his 68. I'll link him to the thread, perhaps he has insight.
Screw it. I'm broke but I'm gonna go EWG, FP had no solutions so if I want stable boost I Need to.

Which also means ill have to sell my black coated up pipe. It's only 3 months Old. I'll have to sell it o afford the vband version.
KornShaDoW097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #9
KornShaDoW097
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313618
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South San Diego
Vehicle:
2004 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswilmington View Post
38 mm will work just fine. If you want to stay wig you can see if any forge units will fit it. I had good luck with one of those awhile back on my stock turbo until I went ewg.

Not sure if it will work but can't you also port the waste gate of turbo to help eliminate boost creep? But yours may be to much for that to work.

Curious do you run an aftermarket cat?
No cat. Bought the car this way. I'd of kept the exhaust stock if it was up to me. Since I fabricate my own anyway.
KornShaDoW097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.