Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday November 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
giosoccer20
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 328622
Vehicle:
1999 Impreza 2.5 RS
Aspen White

Default how much money would a subaru eat....

So, after installing crappy eristic gasket set 4 months and 4k miles ago, they have gone bad again...how wonderful. I realize this isn't the subaru's fault really, but the sheer amount of money this thing has been consuming is unreal. More than any other car I've owned before.

Question: If i get six star MLS head gaskets, can i get Felpro head bolts, or do the bolts have to be the same brand as the gaskets? Does it matter if i mix and match quality gaskets and head bolts? I haven't been able to find six star bolts for my '99 2.5 rs SOHC, nor have I found mls gaskets of any other brand but six stars, hence the mixing and matching.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
giosoccer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
giosoccer20
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Impreza 2.5 RS
Aspen White

anybody...?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Storm
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5218
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

First, you do not need to replace the headbolts unless there is a problem where they've been dramatically overtorqued or otherwise damaged. If you feel the need to replace them, use OEM. They are perfectly suitable for anything but the most extreme applications.

I put a set of the graphite eristic (head) gaskets in a customer car and ended up redoing them a year later. Live and learn. I now use nothing but MLS gaskets and if I'm buying them, I use Cometic. Countless jobs have gone out the door and just rolled on into oblivion.....sometimes coming back for timing belts at the next interval.

It cannot be stressed enough, that no matter what you do for gaskets, proper surface preparation is paramount. Proper torquing is right there with surface prep, and followed by proper and thorough coolant bleeding. Muck up any of those steps and it will greatly increase the chances of early failure.

I have found that when you get things right, the thought of headgaskets are a once in 100,000 mile thing.

Good luck, and hang in there!
Jay Storm
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
giosoccer20
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Impreza 2.5 RS
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
First, you do not need to replace the headbolts unless there is a problem where they've been dramatically overtorqued or otherwise damaged. If you feel the need to replace them, use OEM. They are perfectly suitable for anything but the most extreme applications.

I put a set of the graphite eristic (head) gaskets in a customer car and ended up redoing them a year later. Live and learn. I now use nothing but MLS gaskets and if I'm buying them, I use Cometic. Countless jobs have gone out the door and just rolled on into oblivion.....sometimes coming back for timing belts at the next interval.

It cannot be stressed enough, that no matter what you do for gaskets, proper surface preparation is paramount. Proper torquing is right there with surface prep, and followed by proper and thorough coolant bleeding. Muck up any of those steps and it will greatly increase the chances of early failure.

I have found that when you get things right, the thought of headgaskets are a once in 100,000 mile thing.

Good luck, and hang in there!
Jay Storm
thanks for your input Storm, much appreciated. I currently have like an entire kit of eristic gaskets on my car, but i've read that the rest of the kit (minus the head gaskets themselves, are okay to use). So this means i'm also using the bolts that came in the kit. If i reuse those bolts do you think i'll be okay? If so, then I'm really leaning towards the six stars multi-layered steel gaskets, because i've read nothing but good things about them.

If any of you have any personal experience with them, of why I shouldn't get them, then please let me know. Otherwise, they seem like a sound investment at a reasonable price. And yes, I'll only be replacing the head gaskets. I've already done the timing belt on the rebuild when my gaskets first blew, causing the head and valves and everything to mess up.

and i will make sure to REALLY stress what you said about the coolant flush. My mechanic put stop leak in there, so I want to get every remnant of that crap out of the system, especially the heater core.