Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #101
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
Which amsoil do you guys buy? The cheapest 0w-20 synthetic they carry?

Also what kind of shipping rates do you guys typically see?
I use the Amsoil OE 0W-20, which I believe is the cheapest 0W-20 they sell. I don't pay shipping; I pick it up from the local distributor.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #102
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

First order I paid $10 for preferred pricing.

I paid $4.70 each for 5 quarts of OE, and at the same time I ordered 1 gallon and 3 quarts of Signature Series (Gallon was $31.90 = 4 quarts, and the individual quarts were $8.15 each so an average of $8.05 per Quart).

The total shipping for 8 quarts and 1 gallon direct from Amsoil was $11.37, so shipping is not that big of a deal.

I did my first oil change with the OE, and topped off from one of the Signature Series quarts, and then had my second change ready to go, with a quart and a half left over to top it off (which I haven't needed to do).

Last edited by Zeeper; 12-09-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #103
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
I use the Amsoil OE 0W-20, which I believe is the cheapest 0W-20 they sell. I don't pay shipping; I pick it up from the local distributor.
how much do you pay per quart and do you know if the prices are standardized across dealers?
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #104
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
how much do you pay per quart and do you know if the prices are standardized across dealers?
Please see post #97 in this thread.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #105
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Please see post #97 in this thread.
thank you sir. missed that. the fact that this forum doesn't have avatars makes it really annoying to remember who posts what which may have helped here - maybe not.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #106
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Please see post #97 in this thread.
No, not really.

You are posting the retail pricing, but as I pointed out they also offer preferred pricing, which is 25% less, but costs you either a $10 6 month membership fee or $20 annual fee (you can only do the 6 month trial once).

You paid $6.10 per quart for the OE, I paid $4.70 for the same oil.

Now I also paid a membership fee and the shipping, but I suspect you can also get preferred pricing from any Amsoil distributor if you are a preferred member, so the shipping cost is not required if you have a local distributor to work with.

Depending upon how much oil you buy, it may save you money to pony up the $10-20 for the membership that provides a 25% discount.

Or if you are only doing one car, you can buy enough oil for two changes at one time, which will also make the membership worthwhile.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #107
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
No, not really.

You are posting the retail pricing, but as I pointed out they also offer preferred pricing, which is 25% less, but costs you either a $10 6 month membership fee or $20 annual fee (you can only do the 6 month trial once).

You paid $6.10 per quart for the OE, I paid $4.70 for the same oil.

Now I also paid a membership fee and the shipping, but I suspect you can also get preferred pricing from any Amsoil distributor if you are a preferred member, so the shipping cost is not required if you have a local distributor to work with.

Depending upon how much oil you buy, it may save you money to pony up the $10-20 for the membership that provides a 25% discount.

Or if you are only doing one car, you can buy enough oil for two changes at one time, which will also make the membership worthwhile.
if the local dealer will give you the proffered price I'd be surprised. I just e-mailed a dealer. If I actually get a response I'll investigate this and post back.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #108
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
if the local dealer will give you the proffered price I'd be surprised. I just e-mailed a dealer. If I actually get a response I'll investigate this and post back.
It is an Amsoil program but who knows if dealers have to accept it.

Either way compare the pricing with your local dealer and with Amsoil direct (as a preferred member).

Go with whatever works best. I had it shipped, it didn't cost much, and arrived within a couple of days. I think (pretty sure actually) that my order with Amsoil was actually filled and shipped by a somewhat local dealer.

I did pay sales tax, but you will pay that locally as well.

Overall Amsoil is not crazy expensive, and is very comparable with other high quality oils if you extend your service change intervals.

OE is technically rated for the manufacturer interval (7,500 miles for us).
XL is rated for 6 months or 10,000 miles.
Signature Series is rated for 12 months or 25,000 miles.

If you are changing it more often than the manufacturer recommendation or following the Subaru change interval, buying OE is fine.

XL will extend your oil changes to 10,000 miles (unless you drive very little, because they recommend you change it at 6 months or 10,000 miles).

Signature Series has the best additive package, and is rated for annual changes or up to 25,000 miles.

I feel comfortable running that in my car that sees under 10,000 miles a year and my wife's Rogue that is driven under 15,000 miles per year.

I will probably do a used oil analysis when I change it next year, it will possibly have 8,500 miles on it (just over the subaru change recommendation).

But remember that will actually be my third oil change in the first 17,000 miles on the engine. I had no intention of extending the oil life until after the engine was fully broken in.

But that's just my opinion and what I plan on doing with my fine car, that I plan on driving a long time and having Amsoil put a picture of in their brochure.

By the way, change the differential fluid to Amsoil Severe Gear while you are at it, it really helped my transmission to be much smoother (5 speed)
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #109
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

M45's car has the CVT. And while I also changed my tranny fluid and rear diff fluid to Amsoil Severe Gear (at 2500 miles, if I remember correctly), I found that it made no difference at all in how the shifts felt, or in my fuel economy.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #110
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

I run the signature for reasons posted above, except the annual change part, I'm hoping for a 10-15k interval. My first UOA will be done when I have 6k on the oil
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #111
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

since I probably qualify for "extreme driving conditions" should I get something better than OE? I only drive about 5000 miles/year so I was hoping to do an annual oil change.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #112
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
since I probably qualify for "extreme driving conditions" should I get something better than OE? I only drive about 5000 miles/year so I was hoping to do an annual oil change.
I would use the Signature Series. The OE is ok, but XL and Signature have more additives. The XL is one step up and is supposed to be changed at 6 months or 10,000 miles.

The Signature Series is designated for annual changes or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Time has an effect on oil as much as mileage, and frequent short trips with a cold engine also do not allow the oil to burn off condensation, etc.

In short, if you want to do an annual change pay an extra $10-15 dollars for the correct oil. Note that Amsoil recommends you replace your oil filter every six months, so buy an extra quart to top it off when you replace the filter.

As far as the Severe Gear, I did notice a big difference in the quality of the shifting and fewer instances of trouble engaging reverse gear (yes, I know, no synchro for reverse, but still it was easier to shift after changing over to the Severe Gear in my car). I also pulled some visible (normal due to break in) metal flakes from both the front and rear differential. I would recommend changing the fluid over just to remove that metal.

I don't obsess about mileage, so I don't know if changing the differential fluid increased MPG's or not, my overall combined average MPG is 28.17 including break-in, my current mileage is a bit lower but I put snow tires on last month. The number on my window sticker=28 mpg combined so my car is right on that average, even though the majority of my driving is not on the highway.

Last edited by Zeeper; 12-10-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #113
79letour
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

I can vouch for the Severe Gear, smooths out a bit and is easy to do.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #114
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
I also pulled some visible (normal due to break in) metal flakes from both the front and rear differential. I would recommend changing the fluid over just to remove that metal.
Agreed, I was glad to get all the crud out of my rear diff (the tranny fluid wasn't nearly as cruddy looking). Although I've heard that cruddy fluid in the rear diff is normal, and that the Severe Gear I installed back there is probably just as cruddy looking at this point.

I believe the rear diff fluid change interval is something like 60k or 80k miles. So while I was glad to put clean fluid in my rear diff, my guess is that it's acceptable and even expected for that fluid to be cruddy, and no harm will result from driving the car that way. We are all probably driving with cruddy rear diff fluid right now, regardless of whether we've changed the fluid or not.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #115
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
I would use the Signature Series. The OE is ok, but XL and Signature have more additives. The XL is one step up and is supposed to be changed at 6 months or 10,000 miles.

The Signature Series is designated for annual changes or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Time has an effect on oil as much as mileage, and frequent short trips with a cold engine also do not allow the oil to burn off condensation, etc.

In short, if you want to do an annual change pay an extra $10-15 dollars for the correct oil. Note that Amsoil recommends you replace your oil filter every six months, so buy an extra quart to top it off when you replace the filter.

As far as the Severe Gear, I did notice a big difference in the quality of the shifting and fewer instances of trouble engaging reverse gear (yes, I know, no synchro for reverse, but still it was easier to shift after changing over to the Severe Gear in my car). I also pulled some visible (normal due to break in) metal flakes from both the front and rear differential. I would recommend changing the fluid over just to remove that metal.

I don't obsess about mileage, so I don't know if changing the differential fluid increased MPG's or not, my overall combined average MPG is 28.17 including break-in, my current mileage is a bit lower but I put snow tires on last month. The number on my window sticker=28 mpg combined so my car is right on that average, even though the majority of my driving is not on the highway.
I don't quite get the time thing. I thought synthetic oil was only supposed to be affected by use and not by time.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #116
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
I don't quite get the time thing. I thought synthetic oil was only supposed to be affected by use and not by time.
oil degrades over time as well as use, and for severe driving, which I think in your case means frequent short trips with a cold engine, the oil needs to contend with contamination from condensation as well.

BTW I just looked on Cars101 rather than get my owners manual out. The oil service interval for the Impreza is every 7,500 miles or 7.5 months, whichever comes first.

So If you are going to an annual change interval, I would not use Subaru oil, OE or XL. even if your mileage is less than 5,000 a year.

Signature Series is the only oil that Amsoil recommends for that change interval, as long as you do not exceed 25,000 miles a year.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #117
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
oil degrades over time as well as use, and for severe driving, which I think in your case means frequent short trips with a cold engine, the oil needs to contend with contamination from condensation as well.

BTW I just looked on Cars101 rather than get my owners manual out. The oil service interval for the Impreza is every 7,500 miles or 7.5 months, whichever comes first.

So If you are going to an annual change interval, I would not use Subaru oil, OE or XL. even if your mileage is less than 5,000 a year.

Signature Series is the only oil that Amsoil recommends for that change interval, as long as you do not exceed 25,000 miles a year.
not a bad idea. as for changing the filter - that seems like it would be even less affected by time and more by miles. is the filter not intended to catch particulate matter? if the car is sitting in the garage that filter won't be getting clogged up. I would assume the engine would have to be running for this to happen.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #118
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
not a bad idea. as for changing the filter - that seems like it would be even less affected by time and more by miles. is the filter not intended to catch particulate matter? if the car is sitting in the garage that filter won't be getting clogged up. I would assume the engine would have to be running for this to happen.
Yes, I would bet Amsoil recommends the filter change due to the 25,000 mile interval that they promote for the Signature Series.

Still, cheap insurance to change the filter. If you do your own oil changes, even with Amsoil and a new filter, it will save you money over having the dealer or some quicklube do it for you.

Amsoil has another benefit (if you extend the service interval), which is it reduces the amount of waste oil that needs to be recycled over the life of the car. So it is environmentally more friendly, if you care about that.

And if others are to be believed, even dealerships are screwing up oil changes these days. Doing it yourself is simple and you will know it is done correctly -- not overfilled, not underfilled, and not leaking all over the place.

Just double check the drain plug/valve, oil fill cap, and that you get the old oil filter gasket off before you install the new filter.

It only takes one time screwing up either of those to make you remember from then onward...
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #119
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

update: amsoil dealers will honor preferred customer prices if you give them your PC number.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #120
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

does it concern you guys that amsoil SS isn't API certified? I know in reality it's probably just as good or better than a lot of other options but what if a warranty issue comes up with the dealer?
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #121
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
does it concern you guys that amsoil SS isn't API certified? I know in reality it's probably just as good or better than a lot of other options but what if a warranty issue comes up with the dealer?
A little, but I have good records of oil changes. Amsoil will supposedly warranty you if you have problems due to the oil. Also not anticipating problems.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #122
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
does it concern you guys that amsoil SS isn't API certified? I know in reality it's probably just as good or better than a lot of other options but what if a warranty issue comes up with the dealer?
Not really, since it's not petroleum based (API = American Petroleum Institute).
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #123
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehnm View Post
Not really, since it's not petroleum based (API = American Petroleum Institute).
I haven't looked in the impreza manual (and I don't have it in front of me). do they call out anything beyond the oil needing to be 0W-20 and full synthetic?

As for getting approval - amsoils OE and XL oils are API approved. I guess the SS isn't b/c of somewhat arbitrary phosphorus levels that the API has set.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #124
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
does it concern you guys that amsoil SS isn't API certified? I know in reality it's probably just as good or better than a lot of other options but what if a warranty issue comes up with the dealer?
This is printed on the label for Signature Series:

Recommended for Applications requiring the following: 0W-20 (ASM): API SN (Resource Conserving), SM…; ILSAC GF-5, GF-4…; ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; GM 6094M; Chrysler MS-6395

A far as warranty the use of the oil isn't a concern, though the extended service interval could be.

But if there is a warranty complaint regarding the engine, Subaru would need to to prove not only that it was due to improper lubrication, but also that the choice of lubricant was at fault.

Since I don't anticipate any lubrication issues whatsoever (My car is not burning oil, and I don't expect a bearing or cam shaft or any other internal engine part to wear out due to improper lubrication over the life of the original warranty -- most of these issues would be years and 100,000 miles + down the road if they occurred at all) I have no issues with Amsoil.

If there is a problem, the first thing I would do is pull an oil sample and send one to Amsoil and one to an independent lab for testing.

But how often does a new car have an issue with lubrication that is the fault of the oil chosen?

In the few cases where there is an issue, it is usually the fault of the engine design (think -- Passat slugging), or the lack of regular service, but not the choice of lubricant.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #125
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
This is printed on the label for Signature Series:

Recommended for Applications requiring the following: 0W-20 (ASM): API SN (Resource Conserving), SM…; ILSAC GF-5, GF-4…; ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; GM 6094M; Chrysler MS-6395

A far as warranty the use of the oil isn't a concern, though the extended service interval could be.

But if there is a warranty complaint regarding the engine, Subaru would need to to prove not only that it was due to improper lubrication, but also that the choice of lubricant was at fault.

Since I don't anticipate any lubrication issues whatsoever (My car is not burning oil, and I don't expect a bearing or cam shaft or any other internal engine part to wear out due to improper lubrication over the life of the original warranty -- most of these issues would be years and 100,000 miles + down the road if they occurred at all) I have no issues with Amsoil.

If there is a problem, the first thing I would do is pull an oil sample and send one to Amsoil and one to an independent lab for testing.

But how often does a new car have an issue with lubrication that is the fault of the oil chosen?

In the few cases where there is an issue, it is usually the fault of the engine design (think -- Passat slugging), or the lack of regular service, but not the choice of lubricant.
allegedly amsoil has never had to actually take the blame for a failure. this is either really good or really bad. really good if it's never come to that. really bad if they managed to blame it on the user for some technicality (OCI, filter choice, etc.).
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.