Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 15, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-12-2002, 09:50 PM   #1
GTKim
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 22609
Vehicle:
2002 WRX

Unhappy Engine Oil leaking....

Hi~ My dear Subaru Owners..

Please help me because I have some problems in my WRX 2002.

Actually, I have changed Engine Oil of my WRX about

one month ago at one Subaru dealer near my house. But I

cannot help but to change my engine oil again because all of the

engine oil was leaked out. (I found this

problem by the warning sign of engine oil pressure check)

I heard that former dealer staff who changed engine oil may

made a mistake and did not thight bolt after oil change.

In another dealer, I already checked engine and heard that there

was no problem. I felt this Subaru dealr is totally different

compared with the former dealer. Service is very excellent.

But they told me that they could not disassamble and

check inside of engine. All of the works they did check engine

sound and computer-scanning check.

Please let me know how I can check inside of engine more

detailly again as soon as possible.

I trust the expertise of Subaru dealer and trained

technicians who inspected, diagnosed, and repaired my WRX

a few days ago.

But I need more detailed and specific check again.

I am really worried and if you give me a good advise.

Thank you
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by GTKim; 09-13-2002 at 03:02 AM.
GTKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 10:09 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

If the oil pressure warning light came on while you are driving this is very bad. The sensor switch for the light is set to close at about 2.5 psi of oil pressure which is essentially nothing. If there was so little oil in the motor that the pressure dropped enough to turn on the light, and you drove it this way for any length of time, it is very likely that the engine was damaged. The fact that you are now hearing knocking confirms this. The presence of knock should be an indication to the dealer that it is now necessary for them to tear down the engine.
You should not drive the car any more as this will only make things worse.
The most important thing to do is document what you have just said as much as possible with regard to the fact that the loss of oil was caused by the incompetence of the dealer's employee. Get as much as you can in writing, and get the Subaru field rep involved if necessary.
From what you are describing there is a good possibility that your car will need a new engine and you want to be sure that it is covered under warranty since it was not your fault.
You may share a small part of the responsibility here since that much of a leak could have been noticeable (they may try to bring up this point), but on the other hand you would not expect something like this to happen on a brand new car so you would not have been expected to look for it or check the oil.
Good luck-
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 10:15 PM   #3
ciper
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15543
Vehicle:
90BJ Legacy LS ABS
AWD 946 Rio Red Jpn built

Before you do anything I think you should contact SOA. Tell them your exact story so that they document it. Tell them you are afraid to visit the same dealer again because they may cause additional damage.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 11:45 AM   #4
jblaine
Scooby Guru

Member#: 8512
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 WRX chassis...
stage-infinity.com

And FWIW, Subaru of America is here
jblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 08:09 PM   #5
fpa1974
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 15371
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan(gone)
Pearl Blue

Can you tell us which is the bad dealer and which one is the good one. I am really interested to find a nice dealer in Atlanta since I had my share part of dealer 'competence' around here.

And like the others said. Make sure you document everything with Subaru. If not you might be in for a bad surprise.

Good luck with getting your issue resolved!

Florian
fpa1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 02:10 PM   #6
GTKim
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX

Default Trust worth dealer

Thank you for your concern and kind advice~

Yesterday, when I asked about the problems (Oil leaking) of my car, former dealer did not admit their fault even though Oil filter and oil drain plug left loose and this was the reason of leaking.

I am very upset but I will not mention the name of this dealership because I don't want to do harm for this dealer. Also, reason of Oil filter and oil drain plug left loose would, maybe, was not their fault. I should have checked my oil everyday for the problems.

Service manager just told me that "Don't worry, you have warranty. You know what is warranty?(Absolutely I know -_-) you can change oil again...."

Anyway, I will not go this dealer anymore. I don't want to check my car at there and I went to another dealer, SUBARU of Gwinnett which checked, drained and added 4 quarts of oil a few days ago.

Service manager SUBARU of Gwinnett heard about my problem more carefully and recommended me to give them more times to check more specifically and detailly. I accepted her recommendation and left my WRX in SUBARU of Gwinnett.

Frankly speaking, as you know, I am an international student and my english standard is not good. that's why I feel more difficulty.

SUBARU of Gwinnett is really trust worthy, I am sure.
Also, Subaru parts department have so many subaru accessaries.
(I bought Pink I emblem and I will STi cloths in there.)
I will go there Wednesday, next week.
p.s. Are you Georgia Tech student? Florida license plate, Blitz muffler....

Quote:
Originally posted by fpa1974
Can you tell us which is the bad dealer and which one is the good one. I am really interested to find a nice dealer in Atlanta since I had my share part of dealer 'competence' around here.

And like the others said. Make sure you document everything with Subaru. If not you might be in for a bad surprise.

Good luck with getting your issue resolved!

Florian
Old 09-14-2002, 02:18 PM   #7
GTKim
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX

Thank you for your concern and kind advice~

I printed out your specialized explanation about Oilleaking problems and submitted to Subaru dealer.

They will check my car until wednesday without changing engine. After that I will decide to complain officially and document all of my experience or not.

I really hope there is no problem in my WRX engine and if technician will find some problems, I will follow your advice.

Your comment and explaination really helpful for me to solving the problems of my WRX and much much thank you for your concern and kindness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you

Quote:
Originally posted by mulder
If the oil pressure warning light came on while you are driving this is very bad. The sensor switch for the light is set to close at about 2.5 psi of oil pressure which is essentially nothing. If there was so little oil in the motor that the pressure dropped enough to turn on the light, and you drove it this way for any length of time, it is very likely that the engine was damaged. The fact that you are now hearing knocking confirms this. The presence of knock should be an indication to the dealer that it is now necessary for them to tear down the engine.
You should not drive the car any more as this will only make things worse.
The most important thing to do is document what you have just said as much as possible with regard to the fact that the loss of oil was caused by the incompetence of the dealer's employee. Get as much as you can in writing, and get the Subaru field rep involved if necessary.
From what you are describing there is a good possibility that your car will need a new engine and you want to be sure that it is covered under warranty since it was not your fault.
You may share a small part of the responsibility here since that much of a leak could have been noticeable (they may try to bring up this point), but on the other hand you would not expect something like this to happen on a brand new car so you would not have been expected to look for it or check the oil.
Good luck-
Old 09-15-2002, 02:40 PM   #8
armand1
Scooby Guru

Member#: 10309
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
'02 OBS 2-tone!
'95 Montego Miata

I hope that your engine turns out OK. If it does not, it is very important to document in writing as much as you can, even if it is just writing down in your notebook who did what, who you talked to, what date & time, what they said, etc. If you write all this down as it is happening (a "contemporaneous record"), then you will have less difficulty in getting warranty repairs later.
armand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 06:03 PM   #9
fpa1974
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 15371
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan(gone)
Pearl Blue

Default Re: Trust worth dealer

Quote:
Originally posted by GTKim
p.s. Are you Georgia Tech student? Florida license plate, Blitz muffler....

No. Not really. I will be going to Georgia Tech next fall though for my master degree.

For the moment I live and work in Dunwoody Area as a Software Engineer.

The reason why I asked about your dealer experiences is that I had extremely bad luck at one place I do not want to mention here. Anyway check your email and good luck with your car.

Florian
fpa1974 is offline   Reply With Quote