Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
crasian73
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 339683
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
2-tone black/gray

Default New owner of a 2002 Impreza WRX

I am new to the scene as an owner. I have admired the cars from afar, always thinking they were out of my reach.

I recently purchased one, older but in good condition. It has an upgraded turbo as well as a turbo timer. My check engine light recently came on, not to mention intermittent squealing from what I believe to be the belts. In addition, the A/F started blinking.

Any insight is appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
crasian73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
crasian73
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
2-tone black/gray

I plan to take it to a performance shop just to get it all checked but I would like to carry some knowledge with me so I know what they are talking about as well as an understanding of how things work.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Badler
Scooby Guru

Member#: 133597
Chapter/Region: SCIC

Find out what the CEL is, go from there. I really hope you had it inspected by a qualified Subaru mechanic before purchasing. These cars can be problem after problem when not maintained/modded correctly.
Badler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
crasian73
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
2-tone black/gray

Thanks. The CEL appears to be related to a leak in the hoses (an emissions focus, a local mechanic told me). They were hesitant to work with aftermarket parts so I have to take it back to the shop it has a history with. The previous owner and I are good friends. I have the records of work, and yes, it is in good condition based on what I was told from a general inspection. Belts were done a year ago.
I am thinking that MAYBE the fact that the car was just sitting in the garage for 6 months, only to be started once a day, may have something to do with it???
Old 12-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Badler
Scooby Guru

Member#: 133597
Chapter/Region: SCIC

Start checking vacuum lines and get a new gas cap. It would be nice to get the actual code. ie: Pxxxx Try tightening the belts a bit. The cold weather can cause that.
Badler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Tenament
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 246813
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
'02 WRX
WRB ::

It would be nice to know more about your setup

What turbo?
Any supporting mods other than that?
Guessing an open-source tune.

Welcome. As Badler points out, these cars are great, but do not take to being improperly tuned/abused. Keep up on maintenance, no launching (the 5mt is so weak. trust me on this one, just don't do it ), and have fun
Tenament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
crasian73
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
2-tone black/gray

Default These is all the aftermarket work done on it

Lowered with Teins springs
COBB Tuned
high flow injectors - Pink STI 550
IHI VF34 Turbo
generic impreza sti stainless one-piece header and up pipe - t304 construction
Walbro upgraded fuel pump - model unknown
BOV - TurboXS model
Perrin FMIC for WRX/STI 02-07
TurboXS intake with KNN
Rotora GH8 rbk011.01ac 1pc 4 piston front 13in/330mm drilled and slotted brakes (only works with 17in rims min)
Rotora GDA/GGA rbk016.01ac 1pc 2 piston rear 11.5in/295mm drilled and slotted brakes (works with 16in rims)
Custom 3in exhaust
Vibrant Resonator: vibrant part number 1795 18in straight through, 3in inlet and outlet and 4in oal - t304 construction
Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator: vibrant part number 1142, 3" inlet/oulet 14in overall length - t304 construction
Vibrant StreetPower Muffler 2 tip vibrant part number 1149 15in oval straight through, 3in inlet and dual 3in tip 5in long - t304 construction
17in rims
215/45 tires
Auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink
Pioneer In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver With DVD Playback - AVIC-X920BT, Bluetooth Ready, iPod connector in glove box, XM/Sirius ready - Double Din 6.1in display/touchscreen
Subwoofer and amp in trunk
Dynamat in doors, halfway up the firewall, entire floor and entire trunk space and trunk door
Old 12-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
crasian73
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
2-tone black/gray

Just got the car back from the mechanic. Code is P0442 - evap emissions
Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
art@grimmspeed
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 301037
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasian73 View Post
Just got the car back from the mechanic. Code is P0442 - evap emissions
Check the small hose on the front of the intake manifold to the left of the throttle body. It runs to the evap purge solenoid. Make sure all the hoses are attached. Most common location other than the gas cap issue.
art@grimmspeed is offline   Reply With Quote