Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday November 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
corradoman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 339817
Default Cooling flow issue..?

Okay so I just bought my first Subaru 2002 WRX wagon with right at 100K 5spd completely stock. I bought it from a used dealer under the condition that the cooling system would be covered for 30 days....The day I purchased the car it was pouring down rain and after driving the car I could smell coolant later found it to be the radiator was splitting in the middle of the plastic. So I had that replaced by the dealer. Just before I took it in I noticed that the cooling fans were coming on almost everytime I stopped at a traffic light or inline for coffee.
The gauge rides around the middle of what appears to be the normal operating tempature. However the lower raidator hose is cold as if I haven't even driven the car. So the thermostat was replaced thinking that it was stuck shut possibly. Well not the case I took it in and the dealer's mechanic said everything is aok. I asked about the fans and cold lower hose not even getting remotely warm and he said that is normal for Subaru...I have worked and maintained all of my vehicles for over 15 years and never had a vehicle do this. Is this mechanic full of it?I expect it to be a failed or failing water pump. Does anybody know of a fairly easy way to test and see if the water pump is doing it's job. Ideas or suggestions from some expierianced Subaru wrench turners would be great. I love my new car minus this issue...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by corradoman; 12-06-2012 at 01:39 AM.
corradoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank

Member#: 140114
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Honestly, if your needle stays right in the middle I wouldn't be too worried. Fans coming on isn't anything to really judge by. If you had a major problem, you would show signs of overheating.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
art@grimmspeed
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 301037
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Aspen White

First thing that comes to mind is you bought the car with 100k right? Did they do the timing belt job before you bought it? If yes then I would find out the brand water pump and thermostat used. If No then you are in for a pricey job soon and I would replace the water pump and thermostat and see if it changes.
art@grimmspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
corradoman
Scooby Newbie

Yes it has right at 103k and has a couple new things under the hood like 02 sensor replaced etc. I replaced the thermostat and rebled the cooling system hoping that maybe there was air in the system but still has issue. I guess I will call and see if they know anything at all on the car, initially they did not appear to. I will also try and maybe pull the timing cover and get a gander at the belt and see if any of it has ever been replaced and go from their.
I asked the Local Subaru dealer in Salem OR., and they said when they fail, almost always leak externally noisy etc. Thanks for the thoughts and advice.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
mod maniac
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 300551
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2&4 fxt & fxt sti
Fullers Garage

What issues? The needle in the middle is right and the cold lower radiator hose means the radiator is cooling.
mod maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
corradoman
Scooby Newbie

The cooling fans are consistantly coming on almost every time the car sits still for more then 30 seconds,even when it's 50 degrees outside. I have never had a vehicle that has ran this hot before. When I say a cool lower radiator hose, I mean freezing cold not like cooler then the top one.
This is after driving on the highway, and I am not hot rodding it. which I am dying to have a little more fun with it but, I am very leary if there is a issue I don't won't to nuke it and set myself up for a head job or something else.

I hope that clarified it.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank

Member#: 140114
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Once again, you cannot judge anything by when/how often the fans come on. You say "this hot" but your needle is showing proper operating temp.

You could try and burp the system to see if there are any bubbles. Or take off the lower radiator hose to see what may or may not come out. Or replace the thermostate. All are very easy to do.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote