Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-13-2002, 09:39 AM   #1
Bill_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 16502
Default Loud turbo whine / noice at idle

Just today I noticed a louder then usual turbo whine even at idle. I have a boost guage, it makes the noise when the turbo isn't even under load.

I'm real worried their could be something serious wrong.

I have a K&N filter and a Cat back exhaust.

Any ideas what it could be?
It did just get much colder around here. (I don't know if that has anything to do with it)

Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Bill_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 09:48 AM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

The turbo won't whine at idle, it's barely spinning.
You may be hearing some normal noise from the engine accessories and drive belt, I've noticed this when starting the car in colder weather. If it's this it should go away once the engine warms up.
If your K&N is a drop-in panel filter make sure the airbox is fully closed. You may have missed the two tabs at the bottom rear when you installed it (very common) and this can cause some noise as well.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 09:55 AM   #3
Bill_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Thanks
I've had my K&N for over a year now, maybe it came loose (i'll check).

I'll see if the sound goes away after the car warms up, it really does sound just like a really loud turbo whine. It doesn't make much sense though if the car isn't under load.

anyone else notice this?
Old 09-13-2002, 10:21 AM   #4
HoleShot
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 24524

it is very hard to tell with out hearing or seeing but a few things to inspect. Remove the intake and give the wheel a wiggle. you should have some play but not be able to make the fins contact with the turbine. DO NOT load the shaft and spin it as this will only damage it. JUst want to see is it moving back tot he point that it will make contact apon surge. A sound like a siren is a bad sign. this is the wheel hitting the housing and a sound that is of not the norm is not a good one. ONe thing that we are going to see a lot of in the WRX is turbo failer. With the factory unit being a TDO4 family turbo the bearing are just to the duty limit stock and higher RPM operation will only make life short. SO any added boost and a shorter then normal life span is expected. This is very much in the same as the 2G DSM where a T 25 is used to make 210 HP. ( BHP that is ) A car will make about another 40 till the unit just explodes. It's a case that the turbo will not hurt the motor unless something stupit is done to it.... And turbo's cost less then motors

Hope this helps.

BM-
HoleShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 10:41 AM   #5
Bill_WRX
Scooby Newbie

I haven't increased the boost at all, although the exhaust should releave some back pressure.

It does sound like a siren, my girlfriend thought the police where around.

Is it bad enough where I should conisder having it towed?
Old 09-13-2002, 10:59 AM   #6
HoleShot
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 24524

all depends on your location. I would look to some local WRX owners in your area and see what thay have to say "who is best" but remeber some views are slanted. Make sure you feel good with the shop and always ask questions.

Best of luck
BM-
HoleShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 11:06 AM   #7
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Remember he is hearing this at idle so it is highly unlikely to be turbo-related.
I would lean more towards something accessory or belt related.
If you make a "stethoscope" from a piece of hose and probe around the engine compartment you may be able to localize where it is coming from and track it down. You can also take a long thin rod or screwdriver and place one end on different areas of the engine and hold your ear by the other end (just watch out for the hot things and spinning bits ). If you do this when the engine is cold it will be easier to work in there.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 03:03 PM   #8
Bill_WRX
Scooby Newbie

I had my friend press the gas while I stuck my head over the turbo.

The sound does not appear to be coming from the turbo, it seems centered over the intercooler. I can obviously test this when the car is in neutral.

any ideas?
Old 09-13-2002, 06:32 PM   #9
suprasingle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 21733
Vehicle:
1998 supra
wht

i have a vf22 (new)and i can hear it at idle very good,but not until i changed exhaust(silencer),and you prolly wouldnt hear it directly from above the turbo,more like air intake

randy,

if its a scock turbo i dont know if you can hear them very much
suprasingle is offline   Reply With Quote