Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Ninja IRL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 274733
Vehicle:
2010 STi Hatch
Blu

Default Parrot Asteroid Smart Vs Nexus 7

Hey guys. I've been considering undertaking a N7 install similar to zedix and metajames's builds however I stumbled across the parrot asteroid smart released this year at the CES... It's a double din with multiple USB inputs and other functionalities... However seems to lack total customizable features and apps that that N7 offers... Curious what everybody thinks about this simpler alternative for a less complicated build... Probable final costs are similar between the PAS and N7+single din deck and all the other wiring and accessories necessary for full SWC/Bluetooth functions with the N7... Thoughts?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Ninja IRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
gunz4me
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 305130
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Satin White Pearl

I'm lazy and would do the Parrot Asteroid Smart over the Nexus 7. Why? Because the time, money, and effort to integrate the Nexus 7 is greater than dropping in something that is ready to go out of the box.
gunz4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Ninja IRL
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2010 STi Hatch
Blu

After looking at a few people's post and builds, it seems the best way would be to use a single din behind the N7... I'm curious as to best/cheapest model that has aux in, quality blu-tooth, and also allow u to retain SWC. Ideally a snug fit, something that would sit deep behind the N7 in the original stereo position with needing to flip/tilt/secure to much.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Ninja IRL
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2010 STi Hatch
Blu

Last edited by Ninja IRL; 03-04-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
gunz4me
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 305130
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Satin White Pearl

I read a major buzzkill on the parrot unit yesterday. It takes 23 seconds to power up!
gunz4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Ninja IRL
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2010 STi Hatch
Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
I read a major buzzkill on the parrot unit yesterday. It takes 23 seconds to power up!
...23 seconds isn't so bad apparently though... Look at the nexus 7 boot up!!... Nearly 50 seconds! I think the major difference to consider is the n7 probably would rarely completely shut down by rather be in stand by or sleep and then awake much faster.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
phantomfozzy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 247113
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
07 FXT 4eat vf37
Obsidian Black Pearl

When I do my tablet project i think I'm going to use the scosche controlfreq. It's a head unit with an app, so ill retain local radio, USB, iPod and phone interface and still be able to play audio via a2dp Bluetooth.

My only problem is where to put the head unit, because I actually use my glovebox.
phantomfozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
Ninja IRL
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2010 STi Hatch
Blu

Ooooo... Just announced the asus Fonepad... 7in tablet similar to the N7, but can also make calls... Looks like this should be considered as a N7 alternative...