Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
Saulson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322383
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Worcester, MA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
ISM

Default 2012 WRX Parking Brake Switch

Maybe someone will know this...

So, I've tried to hold out on grounding my parking brake switch due to the hill-assist feature. I thought that maybe I'd get used to it over time, but that hasn't been the case. The other night I picked apart my center console and found the small switch that the E-brake comes into contact with and moved it slightly so that the brake will not engage the switch anymore. This has helped achieve my goal: disabling the hill assist. Now I'll try driving this out for a bit to see what annoys me more; the hill assist feature, or looking at the little red brake light in the dash stay on all the time while driving.

My question is this, a bunch of people have by passed the parking brake switch to bypass stock/aftermarket head units, to disable the day time running lights, and in my case disable the hill assist. After driving around a bit, I did not notice any other features that have been effected by moving the switch, but I wanted to see if someone knew of anything else.

Hopefully the answer is no, but someone might know something that I did not see on the internet. It seems most do this primarily to bypass a head unit and none of them seem to mention it effecting anything else in the car.

Summary: Does grounding the E-brake switch effect any other components than a head unit, the day time running lights, and the hill assist?


Thanks in advance. The vehicle in question is a 2012 WRX.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Saulson; 12-15-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Hooked on phonics.
Saulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

Do not do this.
The warning light is not just for the e-brake, it also comes on when your brake fluid gets low due to either worn pads or a leak. By disabling that switch you have now created a potential safety issue.
I highly suggest you put it back the way it was and learn to live with the hill-holder.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
nightdown fox
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 309636
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore, MD
Vehicle:
2015 STI LE
WRB on Gold!

Default

I see someone in your car's future posting in the thread right under yours...

nightdown fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
J-hop
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318428
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

The real question is how can you spell brake correctly in half of your post and spell it incorrectly in the other half (and the title)?!?!
J-hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
goalieman3333
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 191317
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: steamboat co
Vehicle:
2004 sti
aspen white

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
The real question is how can you spell brake correctly in half of your post and spell it incorrectly in the other half (and the title)?!?!
Glad you caught that as well haha figured he had a 50/50 chance so eff it, we'll just use both spellings then people think i'm extra smart.....
goalieman3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
mista jc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 248288
Join Date: Jun 2010
Vehicle:
2010 WRX sedan
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

I'm sorry for being of no help but the BRAKE/parking brake lot stays lit for my 2010 as well. On my old Honda the same light would stay on meaning it's time for brake maintenance. Does this mean address the fluid or change out all parts such as; pads and rotors+fluid?
mista jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Saulson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322383
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Worcester, MA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
Do not do this.
The warning light is not just for the e-brake, it also comes on when your brake fluid gets low due to either worn pads or a leak. By disabling that switch you have now created a potential safety issue.
I highly suggest you put it back the way it was and learn to live with the hill-holder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightdown fox View Post
I see someone in your car's future posting in the thread right under yours...
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
The real question is how can you spell brake correctly in half of your post and spell it incorrectly in the other half (and the title)?!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieman3333 View Post
Glad you caught that as well haha figured he had a 50/50 chance so eff it, we'll just use both spellings then people think i'm extra smart.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mista jc View Post
I'm sorry for being of no help but the BRAKE/parking brake lot stays lit for my 2010 as well. On my old Honda the same light would stay on meaning it's time for brake maintenance. Does this mean address the fluid or change out all parts such as; pads and rotors+fluid?
Thanks for all the input. I ended up wiring in my own switch, this way I can turn it off periodically to check for problems with the brake light. Plus, when I bring it in for service I can toggle it so it isn't always on.

As for the spelling, I should of had a cup of coffee before I wrote it. Thanks for reading so closely.
Saulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
griff907
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 308755
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: puyallup WA.
Vehicle:
2011 WRX hatchback
DGM

Default

I'm pretty sure in your owners manual there are steps to shut off the hill assist using the traction control button instead of hacking up your brand new car. there was a thread about this not too long ago where someone had done it to his 2011 i think?
griff907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #9
Jay C
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318234
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island New York
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by griff907 View Post
I'm pretty sure in your owners manual there are steps to shut off the hill assist using the traction control button instead of hacking up your brand new car. there was a thread about this not too long ago where someone had done it to his 2011 i think?
Sti only, cant disable on wrx
Jay C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
RockNRace03
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322678
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay C View Post
Sti only, cant disable on wrx
i can disable mine. its in the manual for "STi" and "except STi"
RockNRace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #11
turbolvrwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 335784
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Crystal Black Silica

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista jc View Post
I'm sorry for being of no help but the BRAKE/parking brake lot stays lit for my 2010 as well. On my old Honda the same light would stay on meaning it's time for brake maintenance. Does this mean address the fluid or change out all parts such as; pads and rotors+fluid?
The brake warning light is not intended to be a maintenance reminder... it is intended to let you know that either your parking brake is engaged or your brake fluid is low. You should check your brake fluid level while checking your engine oil level at least every time you fill your tank. Your brake fluid should be flushed every few years and rotors/pads only need replacing when they are worn. Don't count on warning lights to tell you everything about your car, regular visual inspections are needed on any car.
turbolvrwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
SenorDucK
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 327511
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicagoland
Vehicle:
13' WRX 6 Speed
11sec VF52 EL-EWG-E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRace03

i can disable mine. its in the manual for "STi" and "except STi"
you CAN disable yours? what do you drive, a wrx? if so, prove it.
SenorDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #13
punkNdrublic04
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 273621
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Ballston Lake, NY
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Limited
SWP Hatch

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolvrwrx View Post
The brake warning light is not intended to be a maintenance reminder... it is intended to let you know that either your parking brake is engaged or your brake fluid is low. You should check your brake fluid level while checking your engine oil level at least every time you fill your tank. Your brake fluid should be flushed every few years and rotors/pads only need replacing when they are worn. Don't count on warning lights to tell you everything about your car, regular visual inspections are needed on any car.
Amen to this. Unfortunately most people rely on dummy lights...and usually by the time they come on it's too late...
punkNdrublic04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #14
J-hop
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318428
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorDucK View Post
you CAN disable yours? what do you drive, a wrx? if so, prove it.
Thread about 2012 non sti
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2285609
J-hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #15
SenorDucK
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 327511
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicagoland
Vehicle:
13' WRX 6 Speed
11sec VF52 EL-EWG-E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-hop
sorry, I assumed you meant you could disable it with the button like on the STI, which many have claimed to do yet can never prove anything aside from their dash telling them of a malfunction in the system...

misunderstanding.
SenorDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #16
J-hop
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318428
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Wrong guy, I was simply posting the search function results....
J-hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:35 AM   #17
SenorDucK
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 327511
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicagoland
Vehicle:
13' WRX 6 Speed
11sec VF52 EL-EWG-E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-hop
Wrong guy, I was simply posting the search function results....
ah yes, I quoted rocknrace

lol. carry on
SenorDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #18
jim_newton
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338099
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Limited 4dr
salt

Default

There is no easy way to disable it on the WRX model. The button trick does not work on the WRX, period.

I've read all of the threads and the best I could find was someone adjusting the top locknut on the clutch switch to have it not engage quite as much. I have yet to try this myself but I really need to. I can try to find that post again if anyone wants. The shop foreman at the dealer is 'looking into it.' I will probably end up getting the factory manual anyway, so there should be a schematic for it...

I'm getting used to it a bit, but it is still a horrible feature. It engages on very slight inclines and all of a sudden it lets go ..look out. Hard to tell it was even on until you lunge forward ... it's out of control .. I was in control just fine without these nanny-state computers everywhere. Parking on a slight hill with it stuck on is ridiculous.

Last edited by jim_newton; 12-16-2012 at 01:46 AM.
jim_newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #19
Saulson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322383
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Worcester, MA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_newton View Post
There is no easy way to disable it on the WRX model. The button trick does not work on the WRX, period.

I've read all of the threads and the best I could find was someone adjusting the top locknut on the clutch switch to have it not engage quite as much. I have yet to try this myself but I really need to. I can try to find that post again if anyone wants. The shop foreman at the dealer is 'looking into it.' I will probably end up getting the factory manual anyway, so there should be a schematic for it...

I'm getting used to it a bit, but it is still a horrible feature. It engages on very slight inclines and all of a sudden it lets go ..look out. Hard to tell it was even on until you lunge forward ... it's out of control .. I was in control just fine without these nanny-state computers everywhere. Parking on a slight hill with it stuck on is ridiculous.
This is exactly why I wanted to turn mine off, which I'm quite happy with. The switch I made did not 'hack' up my car as someone mentioned and can be easily removed with very little effort. Pull some connectors and unscrew a couple screws.

I too saw the thread a while ago about the clutch switch. I did not do it to that one because I believe he mentioned it effected the cruise control in an undesirable way. If you have cruise on and clutch, instead of canceling the cruise it shoots the rpms up as if you were stepping on the gas in neutral. Since I cruise every day to work I rather look at a red light rather than accidentally redline my motor by clutching on the highway.

At least I believed that's what he said. I typed this on my phone, so grammar nazis beware, there might be a typo.

Last edited by Saulson; 12-16-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Saulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #20
Freeagnt54
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339011
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phoenix-Ahwatukee
Vehicle:
13 WRX Hatch
WRB

Default

Why is the hill assist feature bothering you guys? I have been driving manuals all my life and I had gotten used to it before the test drive was over.
Freeagnt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #21
11mikey11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328800
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Western Maryland
Vehicle:
2014 STi hatch
wrb

Default

I'm really surprised Cobb or other companies do not make maps to disable this feature if it's possible.
11mikey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #22
nightdown fox
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 309636
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore, MD
Vehicle:
2015 STI LE
WRB on Gold!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeagnt54 View Post
Why is the hill assist feature bothering you guys? I have been driving manuals all my life and I had gotten used to it before the test drive was over.
This.
nightdown fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #23
BigRob74
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305107
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2012 wrx
360/386 E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeagnt54 View Post
Why is the hill assist feature bothering you guys? .
I'd like to know why also. never seen so many people get their panties in a bunch over it!
BigRob74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #24
Saulson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322383
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Worcester, MA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob74 View Post
I'd like to know why also. never seen so many people get their panties in a bunch over it!
Well, if you're OK with it on your vehicle, so be it. Things bother people differently. To me, the clear tail lights on the back of my hatch are the least of my worries. Some people can't stand it and find the need to go tint them immediately and criticize Subaru for doing it to the LEDs on the hatches.

It's the same case here. It's a feature I dislike, and my aim is to change it. It's my car, my preferences, and until someone buys a car for me I'll continue to do whatever it is I want until it feels right to me. For now, I'll take the 'risk' of toggling the brake light on/off for the convenience of disabling the hill assist.
Saulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #25
J-hop
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318428
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeagnt54 View Post
Why is the hill assist feature bothering you guys? I have been driving manuals all my life and I had gotten used to it before the test drive was over.
I don't have it on any of my cars but I can imagine it being annoying. For me anything that detaches the driver (to a point) really pisses me off.

I grew up only being able to afford cheap old cars with cable throttle and no ABS so I got an appreciation for the rawness and all the feedback that you get tingling your senses. Although I don't mind ABS living in an area that gets a lot of snow and ice, I still (after 5 years) can not get used to the feeling of throttle by wire. I decided to go back to basics recently and bought a project car with no ABS, cable throttle and no power steering!

I can understand that things like hill assist etc make cars more livable on a daily basis, but on "fun only" cars like your weekend warrior this type of nanny control can really detract from the enjoyment.
J-hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.