Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday September 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Dillinja666
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 332644
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
07 STI
It's white

Default Another TD Boost Error

So I have been slowly repairing stuff the previous owner has messed up, I have just about everything fixed I think with the car, but I am still having this TB boost error. I was running 5lbs short, but replacing the wastgate solenoid with another factory one has raised my boost to just 2lbs short of target boost. I've gone over the car 3-4 times with the DIY boost leak detector and everything is good on that front. Could a messed up map sensor be causing this issue? The place I got the car from put super thin oil in the car and I ended up sucking oil everywhere in the intake. The ringlands are intact as well as the turbo seals. Do you think oil contamination of the MAP would cause it to read low like this?

Here is a link to the latest log
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...HhQZURSOGd2N0E

Baro is 14.2 right now.

Also another werid thing, my manifold absolute pressure reading is 14.5 on a warm motor and the baro is reading 14.2
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Dillinja666; 12-16-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Dillinja666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Allen Horton
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 315961
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Dark gray metallic

I just installed my stage 1 stuff, and am running about 2lbs short of target. 2008 WRX stock otherwise. Any ideas of where to start. What are the chances the pre-load on my dv is off and boost is blowing by from there?
Allen Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Dillinja666
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
07 STI
It's white

What stage 1 stuff did you install? You can just hook up the AP and go stage 1.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinja666 View Post
So I have been slowly repairing stuff the previous owner has messed up, I have just about everything fixed I think with the car, but I am still having this TB boost error. I was running 5lbs short, but replacing the wastgate solenoid with another factory one has raised my boost to just 2lbs short of target boost. I've gone over the car 3-4 times with the DIY boost leak detector and everything is good on that front. Could a messed up map sensor be causing this issue? The place I got the car from put super thin oil in the car and I ended up sucking oil everywhere in the intake. The ringlands are intact as well as the turbo seals. Do you think oil contamination of the MAP would cause it to read low like this?

Here is a link to the latest log
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...HhQZURSOGd2N0E

Baro is 14.2 right now.

Also another werid thing, my manifold absolute pressure reading is 14.5 on a warm motor and the baro is reading 14.2
Ideally, you want to get a run in 4th gear from about 2500 RPM on up (if you can do so safely). That is what you will use to compare boost to peak targets. If 4th is too fast, you don't have to go to redline, just get high enough to hit peak boost until it starts to taper. You can also get a 3rd gear run, although peak boost will be a little lower than expected in lower gears.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Dillinja666
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
07 STI
It's white

Ah I did not know it is gear dependant. I think I might be too ocd on this, after traffic dies down I'll go do a run.
Thank you Bill.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #6
Dillinja666
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
07 STI
It's white

Here you go Bill, same thing 2lbs short.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...3I2LTNRaXBZTHc

Also my Baro and MAP are still reading 14.2 and 14.5 instead of matching.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Here you go Bill, same thing 2lbs short.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...3I2LTNRaXBZTHc

Also my Baro and MAP are still reading 14.2 and 14.5 instead of matching.
2-3 tenths difference between baro reading and MAP reading (with engine off) is normal and does not indicate a problem.

When looking for a general run, it is best to do an extended run in 4th gear (for 6-speed tranny), if you can do so safely or 3rd if 4th is too fast for conditions (again only if you can do so safely). That is, not a 2nd to 3rd to 4th gear run, but start at 2500 RPM in 4th or 3rd and go up as high as you can go safely before redline. This will put the car under extended load that is not interrupted by a shift.

You are underboosting, but let's see what the extended run looks like, if you are able to do that safely.

Bill
Old 12-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
Dillinja666
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
07 STI
It's white

That was a 3rd and 4th gear pull. I took it up to 100+ at WOT. What do you mean "extended run"
Old 12-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
Dillinja666
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
07 STI
It's white

bump
Bill how do you want me to drive it for an extended run log?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
That was a 3rd and 4th gear pull. I took it up to 100+ at WOT. What do you mean "extended run"
The log looked like a 2nd to 3rd to 4th gear run. But, if you can do a 4th gear run safely (say on a track where you can get up to those speeds), do it only in that gear (start in 4th at 2500 RPM on up). Or you can do a 3rd gear run in the same way, if you can do so safely.

Bill
Old 12-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
Dillinja666
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
07 STI
It's white

Ok cool, I have a place I can do that. I will be gone until wednesday so I will get the log wednesday night. Thank you for all your help here on the forum, Im sure everyone really appreciates it.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #12
Allen Horton
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 315961
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Dark gray metallic

How cold is it in Virginia right now? I was having the same problem, talked to Cobb, sent in several logs....... Turns out the factory computer pulls boost when the intake temp drops below like 60, and gets more aggressive with the pulling the folder it gets. Dont know if this helps, but hopefully so.
Allen Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
Dillinja666
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
07 STI
It's white

So I threw a catless DP on today and found my issued with TB boost error. Partially clogged cats. Threw the DP on and drove stage 1 round the block and hit target boost right off the bat. Flashed to stage 2 and did a freeway pull and hit 18.8. I though it sounded a little lethargic when cranking the motor, guess this makes sense.

Hope this helps others with this issue, do an exhaust back pressure test, or swap out the DP.

Allen Horton: A whales vagina is a line from anchor man. It's what Ron Burgundy thought San Diego was called when the germans discovered it in 1904...I don't live in Virginia