Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #26
wrx12tt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 108462
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
SWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshumway View Post
Too bad about the consumption, but 1/3 qt in 2k mi isn't bad. Or should we be saying 1/3 liter? Hopefully it stops by your next OCI.

The fact that M1 ESP comes in liters is both good and bad. It's nice to use an even number of bottles to fill the engine to midpoint on the dipstick (4.0 L), but you don't get to top it to the "full" mark like you do with 4.5 quarts.

Good to hear ESP performed well on a really cold day. Care to compare it to PU or Castrol OE? I haven't driven my car on M1 ESP yet, but I will in sub zero temps this week. Of the oils I've used on brutally cold days Redline 0w30 is clearly the best, followed by GC and then closely by Redline 5w30. In -10*F or below the engine is pretty sluggish and cranky on RT6.
It's nice that you get a tiny bit more with liter bottles since the oil is expensive. A whopping 54mL per bottle I bought 5 bottles with mine and topped it off on the last oil change, so I'll only have to buy 4 bottles next oil change since I have some left over. Good to know 4 bottles is halfway up the dipstick reading, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

But yes, 1/3 of a quart consumed assuming the top to bottom holes on the dipstick are ~1 quart. Didn't top it off, just left it as-is. I want to sample the oil before having to top it off. I'm assuming Blackstone just interpolates results if you top off with fresh oil partway through.

PU was only run in the summer/early fall, so I can't comment on that. Edge OE did well last winter. I think last winter the coldest I drove was around -10F and the engine performed normally, similar to the ESP IIRC. I'm curious to hear how the ESP stacks up to the others in your list for cold weather. The Twin Cities get much colder winters, so I'm sure you'll get to test it lower than -12F.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by wrx12tt; 12-29-2013 at 06:15 PM.
wrx12tt is offline   Reply With Quote