Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday February 11, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-24-2015, 11:11 PM   #1
NGenesis9
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 419574
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX STI
Blue

Default Review: DSG Edition Fortune Auto Coilovers (2011 STI sedan)

As a loyal customer and sponsored driver, I felt I should post a review of my new set of DSG Performance Edition Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers, which I just put on my 2011 WRX STI Limited sedan. My car is used as a daily driver and Street Touring Ultra class SCCA Autocross racecar and is around 60k miles. Its only other upgrades currently are a Cusco strut tower bar, AEM cold air intake, and Cobb AccessPort. I street drive the car on factory wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, and I race it on a set of lime green Kazera 18" wheels with Hankook Ventus RS-3 tires. Since I've reached my data limit on here, all of my photos are on instagram: https://instagram.com/ryanoettinger/. The link for the coilovers I'm reviewing is here: http://www.dsgperformance.com/DSG-Ed...-Coilovers-STi
The basic rundown for the DSG Editions is that they start life out as a regular Fortune Auto Coilover, but they get a whole lot more than just a change in color scheme (of course the color scheme is awesome anyways, especially for a Colorado Broncos fan, who doesn't love bright orange and blue?). The DSG Editions receive AMSoil Synthetic Shock Fluid, Radial Bearings, Swift Springs, and Rear Helper Adjusters all standard. In comparison, both the regular Fortune 500's and the Cygnus Edition 500's require most of those as additional options, for an additional price. The DSG's are labeled as a 500 series, but feature several traits of the more aggressive Fortune Auto 510's. And the DSG Editions do have several options if you want to customize with the guys at DSG and spend a little extra, all the way to building up the coilovers to the same performance level as the hardcore race-spec Dreadnought series from Fortune Auto. There are also some "helper springs" with a very low spring rate that you can option for that help the coilovers throughout the full compression and rebound range to keep the tires on the ground and shave some tenths off your lap times, for a pretty reasonable $145.
Another really cool thing about these coilovers is a customer choice on spring rates when ordering, going all the way up to 16k (896lb). Because each order is custom built to customer ordering specs it takes a couple weeks to get them shipped, but by no means an agonizing wait. I ordered mine during the off season and they ended up sitting at my house just looking pretty for about a month and a half anyways. I started with a spring rate of 12k (672lb) on all four corners. At the recommendation of some fellow STI drivers and my mechanic, I'll be upgrading the rear springs to a 15k (840lb) spring rate and adding a 22mm adjustable Whiteline front sway bar for a more balanced handling car. From what I'm told about my GR chassis, the rear needs a stiffer spring rate in order for the whole car to be balanced and properly rotate on tight Autocross courses. I've already got the springs and the sway bar, both ordered from DSG Performance as well, they're just not installed yet.
So far I have been "living" with the coilovers for about a month and have done a full weekend of Test n' Tune runs as well as the season opener event for my local autocross. I put living in quotes because they're not that bad to live with after all. Everyone told me once I upgraded from the stock suspension I was going to be dealing with a ride like a dump truck, but these seem to be perfectly fine. The STI isn't a comfortable car from the factory, and while these didn't make it better, they by no means made it any worse. Just turn the compression dial to full softness and you can coast around over the humps and bumps of your hometown streets.
Before my first time on track with them I called up Fortune Auto and asked for their recommendation on compression. They said to start with 12 clicks on the front and 18 in the rear. After a full day of running nearly 20 runs (I lost count) I finally settled on a front setting of 12 clicks and a rear setting of 21 clicks (out of a possible 24, the more clicks the stiffer). I also ran the front tires at about 2 psi lower than the rears and consistently ran times about a second to a second and a half quicker than the other combinations I tried. Of course I'll get to start the research all over again once I get my stiffer springs and sway bar put on, but I'm very excited for it! I finally stand a chance against the other cars in my class that are far more upgraded than mine. I've got some youtube links here of my runs from the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oStiKe4c0I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHvLlOEZGGQ

A couple fellow STI drivers in my same Street Touring class tried to sway me against Fortune Auto, but everyone has their brand loyalty. I'm glad I didn't listen to them and went with my gut and with the logical conclusion based on research and budget. Plus, everything I saw online had nothing but stellar, raving reviews. Now as an owner myself, I can only agree with the online reviews, these things are great! Set at full softness they're pretty comfortable on the road, no worse than the stock shocks which were already pretty rough (it's no Kia). But a couple clicks on the front compression settings and a couple more extra clicks on the rear and she's a real track monster! Of course it is taking some getting used to, as my car's infuriating understeer has been replaced with some tail-happy oversteer. But for anyone looking for a great entry level set of coilovers though I can't say enough good things about these.
The guys at DSG Performance did a great job designing and developing these, and they're incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. My point of contact at DSG is Jason Hempey, and he can be reached pretty much any way you want. He'll reply to messages here on IWSTI, he'll happily email you from jason@dsgperformance.com, or you can instant chat during daytime hours on the DSG website. You can also call DSG up at 1-866-609-DSG1 (3741) x102 or 514-612-1253. You guys can also get ahold of me for any questions or if you'd like some more detailed info, photos, videos, and whatever else. Message me here or email me at Ryan_O12@comcast.net and I'd be happy to help out. As a DSG Sponsored driver I always love to represent my brand and help out any prospective customers.
But I'm not singing the praises of these things just because I'm sponsored, I'm saying all of this because it's true. I put my own money forward for these coilovers shortly after my sponsorship was secured and I am completely satisfied with the purchase, both from the perspective of the service as well as the product. I know this was long, but I thank you for reading it and really encourage anyone with an STI or Evo or FR-S/BR-Z to check these guys out. I'll leave you for now with the link to their website again which I posted up top.

http://www.dsgperformance.com/DSG-Ed...-Coilovers-STi
NGenesis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
NGenesis9
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX STI
Blue

Also, I do a blog for another sponsor, Circuit Motorsports. Their website seems to work a little better for formatting pictures and videos, so I've posted the link here:

Circuit Motorsports: Flat-Out: Time for a Season Opener, 2015
http://www.circuitmotorsports-blog.c...ener-2015.html

The information in the blog is pretty much the same, I got more detailed in this post. But feel free to read it all over again if you wish lol.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:19 PM   #3
NGenesis9
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX STI
Blue

I just realized I epic failed in my original post. I said "here on IWSTI" and totally spaced out that I was on NASIOC. Many apologies