Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #51
dinggoo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 295432
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Arizona
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
MBP

Default

You might wanna look into DP designs especially where the flange meets the turbo, there are less restrictive ones that would provide even better performace. Mainly looking at the side with the wastgate.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by dinggoo; 04-21-2013 at 07:23 AM.
dinggoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #52
DARTH MAGNUS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285248
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: OC, CA
Vehicle:
2014 PBP GR WRX
2006 STi - SOLD :(

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle View Post
^ wow, lucky for you!! Im glad it wasnt a real crack. It looks really like a crack from the picture.
Yeah I freaked a bit about it lol. But looks its normal wear for some turbos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick516 View Post
Wonder if there would be much difference between a less restrictive down pipe over the hks. That dp seems close to stock
According to the downpipe FAQ the Unabomber wrote, there is no clear benefit to any of the designs.
DARTH MAGNUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #53
CatfaceType-R
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 81102
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Brushyoteefs@dentists.cats
Default

That downpipe has no provision for the iwg flapper...very odd.
CatfaceType-R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #54
DARTH MAGNUS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285248
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: OC, CA
Vehicle:
2014 PBP GR WRX
2006 STi - SOLD :(

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggoo View Post
You might wanna look into DP designs especially where the flange meets the turbo, there are less restrictive ones that would provide even better performace. Mainly looking at the side with the wastgate.

Subaru exhaust secrets The Dump pipe and splitter - YouTube

*shrugs*
DARTH MAGNUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #55
Jsawyer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330182
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
DGM

Default

Looking good, hope to see more updates in the near future!
Jsawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #56
DARTH MAGNUS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285248
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: OC, CA
Vehicle:
2014 PBP GR WRX
2006 STi - SOLD :(

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsawyer View Post
Looking good, hope to see more updates in the near future!
Thanks! I have a couple more things I wanna to it but I gotta save up for the 105k service. Labor is expensive!
DARTH MAGNUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #57
shafticus
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326823
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

My turbo crapped out on me at 89K (Im pretty sure the previous owner abused the car). When I pulled it out to replace it (with another vf39 for now) the wastegate had the crack in pretty much the same spot as where your pic shows. The problem was not with the wastegate though, the bearings in the turbo were shot. Total time took about 8 hours (I had to do some other maintenance as well and was alone the whole time).

Im glad I read your log because when I bought my car it came with an aftermarket tbe. I know I had an Apexi tip, but didnt care to search and find out the dp. Turns out its HKS haha and boy am I glad how light it is lol. Since the hks blocks part of the iwg range, I was thinking about committing to a tial ewg and grimmspeed uppipe. You might want to check into that route as well.

Unfortunately having to replace my turbo and getting hit by someone has made me temporarily go a different route with my funds. Thank god my STI is ok, just have a damaged hood and front bumper.

You planning to do any suspension mods?
shafticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #58
DARTH MAGNUS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285248
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: OC, CA
Vehicle:
2014 PBP GR WRX
2006 STi - SOLD :(

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafticus View Post
My turbo crapped out on me at 89K (Im pretty sure the previous owner abused the car). When I pulled it out to replace it (with another vf39 for now) the wastegate had the crack in pretty much the same spot as where your pic shows. The problem was not with the wastegate though, the bearings in the turbo were shot. Total time took about 8 hours (I had to do some other maintenance as well and was alone the whole time).

Im glad I read your log because when I bought my car it came with an aftermarket tbe. I know I had an Apexi tip, but didnt care to search and find out the dp. Turns out its HKS haha and boy am I glad how light it is lol. Since the hks blocks part of the iwg range, I was thinking about committing to a tial ewg and grimmspeed uppipe. You might want to check into that route as well.

Unfortunately having to replace my turbo and getting hit by someone has made me temporarily go a different route with my funds. Thank god my STI is ok, just have a damaged hood and front bumper.

You planning to do any suspension mods?
Well I'm glad you and your car are okay as far as suspension I'm not sure if i will swap anything out. I pretty much like how it sits right now and how no problems with how it handles/rides. Plus, I totally fell in love with the stock BBSs. I don't find it prudent to lower the car if your gonna keep the stock wheels. I was thinking of maybe just converting it to an S204 but getting those wheels and suspension bits will be $$$. First things first: the timing/water pump need to be taken care of thanks for reading!
DARTH MAGNUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #59
shafticus
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326823
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

I hear ya on that bro. There were 1 or 2 people who owned my sti before me. They decided to put on RCE yellows so I think there were other rims for awhile as well, but it had the gold bbs' rims when I bought it. I was originally thinking about switching back to stock but its only a 1" drop anyway.

My water pump and radiator went at 75k so I replaced both as well as the belt and all the pulleys. The kit I bought is Here for $320ish shipped. I also bought the grimmspeed crank pulley tool here for $50ish shipped. I would let you borrow mine if you're thinking about doing it all yourself, but I live in Imperial Beach and I see your lic plate is Costa Mesa. Maybe we can work something out if you dont want to spend 50 on it and your buddy is doing his wagon at the same time. Gl bro
shafticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #60
DARTH MAGNUS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285248
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: OC, CA
Vehicle:
2014 PBP GR WRX
2006 STi - SOLD :(

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafticus View Post
I hear ya on that bro. There were 1 or 2 people who owned my sti before me. They decided to put on RCE yellows so I think there were other rims for awhile as well, but it had the gold bbs' rims when I bought it. I was originally thinking about switching back to stock but its only a 1" drop anyway.

My water pump and radiator went at 75k so I replaced both as well as the belt and all the pulleys. The kit I bought is Here for $320ish shipped. I also bought the grimmspeed crank pulley tool here for $50ish shipped. I would let you borrow mine if you're thinking about doing it all yourself, but I live in Imperial Beach and I see your lic plate is Costa Mesa. Maybe we can work something out if you dont want to spend 50 on it and your buddy is doing his wagon at the same time. Gl bro
Wow, you're pump went out at 75k? That sucks . Well at least you took care of everything at once. "Big maintenance"-wise you should be good until at least 150k

I actually found a good deal online at rock auto: LINK. Only $214 plus shipping and it comes with everything for the pump and timing change. You are very generous. Thank you for your offer to lend it to me but I'm too much of a wimp to do it myself I'm super freaked out to bend the valves! Plus, I have an awesome shop locally that will perform the labor for only $230 including radiator flush! GL with you're STi too, sir.

Last edited by DARTH MAGNUS; 04-22-2013 at 10:46 PM.
DARTH MAGNUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #61
Wreckingball Man
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336564
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2002 USDM WRX
Midnight Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARTH MAGNUS View Post
Yeah I freaked a bit about it lol. But looks its normal wear for some turbos.



According to the downpipe FAQ the Unabomber wrote, there is no clear benefit to any of the designs.
The HKS is same pipe diameter as stock and has the plate over the wastegate. The only advantage/differnce between HKS and stock is the absence of the cats. It's still suitable to run with Cobb stage 2 of course, and 2.5" is fine for your power level.

But you would benefit more from a bellmouth or divorced design with 3" piping. Take it with a grain of salt. I ran the HKS and a 2.5" catback for forever on Cobb stage 2, then finally got a full 3" and bellmouth when i could afford it. The exhaust flow is much better with the larger diameter (this being the big advantage), it allows you room to grow in your build, but power gain can be minor (this is the part that begins to split hairs and opinions) over the HKS and 2.5" pipe. It's like buying 720p HD verses 1080p HD TV. Either is completely suitable, but the 1080p is better.

Although, at this power level and intended use, it was a perfectly fine decision. keep it up, i'm digging your car and enjoy your posts.

Last edited by Wreckingball Man; 04-22-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Wreckingball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:16 AM   #62
DARTH MAGNUS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285248
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: OC, CA
Vehicle:
2014 PBP GR WRX
2006 STi - SOLD :(

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckingball Man View Post
The HKS is same pipe diameter as stock and has the plate over the wastegate. The only advantage/differnce between HKS and stock is the absence of the cats. It's still suitable to run with Cobb stage 2 of course, and 2.5" is fine for your power level.

But you would benefit more from a bellmouth or divorced design with 3" piping. Take it with a grain of salt. I ran the HKS and a 2.5" catback for forever on Cobb stage 2, then finally got a full 3" and bellmouth when i could afford it. The exhaust flow is much better with the larger diameter (this being the big advantage), it allows you room to grow in your build, but power gain can be minor (this is the part that begins to split hairs and opinions) over the HKS and 2.5" pipe. It's like buying 720p HD verses 1080p HD TV. Either is completely suitable, but the 1080p is better.

Although, at this power level and intended use, it was a perfectly fine decision. keep it up, i'm digging your car and enjoy your posts.
Hmmm. That's something to think about. Thanks for your input. I've been thinking about it and reading up as well and it looks like this is as far as I wanna go performance-wise. Not only is the car plenty fast for me as is, but I also want to make sure it stays as reliable as possible. That means no stage 3 for me . So I think this HKS dp will work fine. Thanks again , sir
DARTH MAGNUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:41 AM   #63
shafticus
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326823
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckingball Man View Post
The HKS is same pipe diameter as stock and has the plate over the wastegate. The only advantage/differnce between HKS and stock is the absence of the cats. It's still suitable to run with Cobb stage 2 of course, and 2.5" is fine for your power level.

But you would benefit more from a bellmouth or divorced design with 3" piping. Take it with a grain of salt. I ran the HKS and a 2.5" catback for forever on Cobb stage 2, then finally got a full 3" and bellmouth when i could afford it. The exhaust flow is much better with the larger diameter (this being the big advantage), it allows you room to grow in your build, but power gain can be minor (this is the part that begins to split hairs and opinions) over the HKS and 2.5" pipe. It's like buying 720p HD verses 1080p HD TV. Either is completely suitable, but the 1080p is better.

Although, at this power level and intended use, it was a perfectly fine decision. keep it up, i'm digging your car and enjoy your posts.
Ya no kidding with splitting hairs. Unfortunately too big isnt something many people recognize as a problem but piping diameter and length influence power. Especially when talking about UEL vs EL. Here is some priceless info on exhaust systems that I learned about exhausts and headers when I was deciding whether or not to get aftermarket headers. On step 3 and 4 of that site it states: 3. Primary tube diameter is based on HP output of the engine: it's all about velocity, you want to run the smallest dia. primary that does not cause a restriction. 4. Primary length is based on the RPM you are tuning for.

Please don't think I'm getting into pissing contest about that subject though, the last thing I want is to read another one of those threads lol

@Darth Magnus-Ya the previous owner didnt take care of it for crap. Heck, my girlfriend's 07 Yaris has over 200k and had all maintenance done and was well taken care of (except the clearcoat which is dead now), and is probably in better shape than my sti. I grew up in a family of do-it-yourselfers (dad is a mechanic) so I'm naturally inclined to tear something down and almost put it all back together. This is my first turbo and flat four so it was weird (and very scary). Since all my experience has pretty much been inline or V-series, I was like "Im going to need a new engine after this" but so long as you go in the proper direction everything is fine. Thats cheap for labor though so Ill give you that. Same thing with replacing the turbo though. Its a b*tch but I learned so much about them that I feel confident in my skills.
shafticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:49 AM   #64
DARTH MAGNUS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285248
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: OC, CA
Vehicle:
2014 PBP GR WRX
2006 STi - SOLD :(

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafticus View Post

@Darth Magnus-Ya the previous owner didnt take care of it for crap. Heck, my girlfriend's 07 Yaris has over 200k and had all maintenance done and was well taken care of (except the clearcoat which is dead now), and is probably in better shape than my sti. I grew up in a family of do-it-yourselfers (dad is a mechanic) so I'm naturally inclined to tear something down and almost put it all back together. This is my first turbo and flat four so it was weird (and very scary). Since all my experience has pretty much been inline or V-series, I was like "Im going to need a new engine after this" but so long as you go in the proper direction everything is fine. Thats cheap for labor though so Ill give you that. Same thing with replacing the turbo though. Its a b*tch but I learned so much about them that I feel confident in my skills.
I hate it when people abuse their cars. Especially something as cool as a subi. Definitely sounds like the work you put in was a priceless experience. I'm just glad the place near my house is highly recommended and cheap.
DARTH MAGNUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #65
Wreckingball Man
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336564
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2002 USDM WRX
Midnight Black

Default

Where will your mods lead you if no more performance mods? ...hmm, i know. Underglow neon.
Wreckingball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #66
DARTH MAGNUS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285248
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: OC, CA
Vehicle:
2014 PBP GR WRX
2006 STi - SOLD :(

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckingball Man View Post
Where will your mods lead you if no more performance mods? ...hmm, i know. Underglow neon.
EFF YEAH, BRAH!!! THE LED KIND THAT DANCES AROUND AND STUFF!!!!

Well the next thing is the timing kit. Which is expensive. After that plugs, trans oil and differential oil change. Then to fix the annoying rear strut clunk. After that I'm going to look into cosmetic mods. Like a S204 lip and some dipping. As far as power mods, maybe a protune in the future but that's expensive and gains are fairly minimal.
DARTH MAGNUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:41 AM   #67
DARTH MAGNUS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285248
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: OC, CA
Vehicle:
2014 PBP GR WRX
2006 STi - SOLD :(

Default

Yeah..... So remember how pretty my downpipe looked? Well......f*ck.




So I overestimated the "hi temp" reading of the spray and I understimated the actual exhaust temp post turbo. Sigh. Oh well. ಠ_ಠ
DARTH MAGNUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #68
wrxman02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 24162
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2014 Legacy 2.5i
2012 Impreza 2.0i

Default

looks great. good luck and be safe.
wrxman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #69
PERRIN_Chris
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 186665
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Vehicle:
2014 BRZ

Default

Wow! How does the up pipe look?! Did it smoke at all?
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #70
DARTH MAGNUS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285248
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: OC, CA
Vehicle:
2014 PBP GR WRX
2006 STi - SOLD :(

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxman02 View Post
looks great. good luck and be safe.
Ty, sir, you as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
Wow! How does the up pipe look?! Did it smoke at all?
Well the spray can said that there will be some smoke as its baking, which my buddies uppipe and my downpipe did. Seeing what happened to my downpipe, I'm sure his uppipe is in much worse condition since its connected right to the exhaust manifold
DARTH MAGNUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #71
DARTH MAGNUS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285248
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: OC, CA
Vehicle:
2014 PBP GR WRX
2006 STi - SOLD :(

Default

Hey Subabros,

Pretty pricy update ಠ_ಠ that turned out that was not even necessary! But first, some pics from the mini caravan we had to the attic meet and some pics when some subies showed up:





So on to a little bit o maintenance. Since I'm nearing 100k, it was time to do the timing belt/water pump/thermostat/coolant flush. As it turns out, the possibility of bending my valves scares the ever loving shat out of me so I hired the awesome guys at Übersport Performance (Website). FYI, I'm just giving them some exposure cuz they rock and are by far the best deal out there (they didn't hook me up or anything....although that would've been nice....). I shopped around for the labor and called everyone from Forman (not to knock them, theyre a great shop) to Renick. Über was by far the best deal. So thanks again, guys. I got the full timing/pump kit from amazon at a steal of $222 and since I'm a prime member, I got free 2 day shipping. Here's the link for the listing in case you need it:
LINKY-POOLINKY-POO
. Here's a shot my wife following me to Über when we were caught by a train near my house:



And a shot of Uber's awesome lot (behind this row there were a bunch of turbo GCs and GFs that were awesome):



Now, the reasons I bought my car back in December, even with 95k miles on it at the time, was 1) it was a FREEEEEKIN steal, 2) 95k is still considered a young motor for a subi, and 3) the previous owner treated her really, really well. I tried to have the dealer I bought the car from find out from the previous owner if he/she performed the 100k service before trading in the car. Welp....you can imagine how much help they were. I had a suspicion it was performed but I decided to play it safe. Guess what? Kelly @ Über said that although he could not tell how long ago it was performed, seeing the cardboard gasket on the pump was a sign that the maintenance had been performed in the past. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. So I guess I spent $500 for peace of mind. I suppose it was worth it. thanks for reading and I think by the weekend I will finally have an original, DIY mod.

Last edited by DARTH MAGNUS; 05-03-2013 at 01:47 AM.
DARTH MAGNUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #72
chrisbolton
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 216597
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
PSM

Default

You could strip the downpipe and heat wrap it possibly, not everyone's cup-of-tea but just a suggestion. BTW are you having to swap out your downpipe for inspection?
chrisbolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #73
DARTH MAGNUS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285248
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: OC, CA
Vehicle:
2014 PBP GR WRX
2006 STi - SOLD :(

Subaru Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbolton View Post
You could strip the downpipe and heat wrap it possibly, not everyone's cup-of-tea but just a suggestion. BTW are you having to swap out your downpipe for inspection?
Yeah, I've been thinking about a heatwrap especially since the wrinkle red gave out on me. I'm not sure if I will need it when the time comes to renew my plates, but if I do, it won't be a problem since I can replace it pretty quick.
DARTH MAGNUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #74
chrisbolton
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 216597
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARTH MAGNUS View Post
Yeah, I've been thinking about a heatwrap especially since the wrinkle red gave out on me. I'm not sure if I will need it when the time comes to renew my plates, but if I do, it won't be a problem since I can replace it pretty quick.
Gotcha, that's good that swapping it out isn't a hassle. I have my downpipe currently heat wrapped and it's held up nicely thus far. I would recommend it if you decide to go that route.
chrisbolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #75
DARTH MAGNUS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285248
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: OC, CA
Vehicle:
2014 PBP GR WRX
2006 STi - SOLD :(

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbolton View Post
Gotcha, that's good that swapping it out isn't a hassle. I have my downpipe currently heat wrapped and it's held up nicely thus far. I would recommend it if you decide to go that route.
I've also been thinking of painting the stock heat shield and throwing it back on. Jury still out if I wanna do it
DARTH MAGNUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.