Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 28, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
albanhaj
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 342487
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lodi Nj
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
Matte White

Post 2.5l Sti burns oil fast please help

Okay so the other day m 06 Sti started smoking a lot from the exhaust and turned off. I got the car home and saw no oil on the dip stick. All my oil was burnt as soon as I added some oil into the car started right up but burns the oil like crazy. not sure exactly why. What could it be?? I the car doesn't seem okay to drive because the oil is burning pretty quickly and not sure why. Also smoke is coming from the valve that connected the crawsford oil seperator. not exactly sure what the problem could be. Any ideas ?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by albanhaj; 01-07-2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: no need for extra info on the car
albanhaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

you blew it up by running it outta oil


what oil...exactly and specifically was in it when you blew it up???
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
albanhaj
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 342487
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lodi Nj
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
Matte White

Default

I also just gave it an oil change less then 200 miles ago. I dont think I blew it because csr will just turn off if it has no oil and won't allow itself to turn on
albanhaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
jay25RS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4273
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2011 GR-STI
& 2015 Legacy Ltd.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanhaj View Post
I dont think I blew it because csr will just turn off if it has no oil and won't allow itself to turn on
Wut?
jay25RS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanhaj View Post
I also just gave it an oil change less then 200 miles ago. I dont think I blew it because csr will just turn off if it has no oil and won't allow itself to turn on


say wut???

i dont think you know what you are doing.....and if

Quote:
I got the car home and saw no oil on the dip stick. All my oil was burnt as soon as I added some oil into the car started right up but burns the oil like crazy

then its blowed up
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
mikeythejew
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141672
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
07' wrx
Mothballed until winter

Default

Probably a broken piston ring or cracked piston. I hope your mechanically inclined and have the tools. Ridiculously expensive to have repaired at a shop. If you can do a compression test yourself, do so and come back with the numbers.
mikeythejew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
mikeythejew
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141672
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
07' wrx
Mothballed until winter

Default

And if you have a 5 speed transmission behind that engine, that will be the next thing to go.
mikeythejew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeythejew View Post
And if you have a 5 speed transmission behind that engine, that will be the next thing to go.

Quote:
Greddy Oil catch can
Optima RED top battery relocated to the rear in the trunk
07 STi trans and drivetrain
Clutchmaster 1000 with the cluthmaster chromeolly flywheel
yeah...no
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
bboylocob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 151809
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: New Orleans
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
Black

Default

Its toast. Sorry bro
bboylocob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
albanhaj
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 342487
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lodi Nj
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
Matte White

Default

car is just burning oil out from exhaust

Last edited by albanhaj; 01-07-2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: misspelled
albanhaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
albanhaj
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 342487
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lodi Nj
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
Matte White

Default

don't think its a big thing

Last edited by albanhaj; 01-07-2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: misspelled
albanhaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
Badler
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133597
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange
Default

The car does NOT have an oil level sensor. It has an oil pressure sensor that comes on at ~5psi. It's basically useless.
Badler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
albanhaj
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 342487
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lodi Nj
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
Matte White

Default

Thats what I meant but I never drove car oiless so im okay what u guys think can be??
I have a few ideas but not 100 percent sure

Last edited by albanhaj; 01-07-2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Misspelled
albanhaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
KurtP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44836
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
1999 Fozzy
silver

Default

KurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanhaj View Post
Car has a sensor that knows if it had oil or not so wont turn on if no oil. My problem is could be piston rings vavle seals turbo seal but no sure what could be. I know for fact its not toast. Just trying have idea what it is before send to the shop. I
Quote:
Originally Posted by albanhaj View Post
Oh and a piston ring repair will only cost me about 600 to 800 bucks not to bad hopefully not thought and it just worn valves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albanhaj View Post
Thats what u meant but I never drove car oiless so im okay haha what u guys think can be??
I have a few ideas but not 100 percent sure



d0000000000000000000000d....ya got NO as in does NOT have any 'sensor' that knows anything......not

ya gonna have a LOT more damage than just the rings.......think a whole new motor.....if it oil starved ALL the bearings are TOAST...done....NFG....all pau

if it stalled while running and you let it cool and put oil in it and it started and is doing what you say it is

you
destroyed
the
engine
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
albanhaj
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 342487
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lodi Nj
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
Matte White

Default

The thing is car was sitting for few days after this had happened to me and only cranked as soon as I put oil in it started right up. So who ever says engine is completely toast or blown. Car would start at all. I know its not needing of a new engine worst thing car has is piston rings or a turbo seal. But Im wondering if it can be anything else?

Last edited by albanhaj; 01-08-2013 at 12:00 AM.
albanhaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
nappingcub
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 222725
Join Date: Sep 2009
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanhaj View Post
The thing is car was sitting for few days after this had happened to me and only cranked as soon as I put oil in it started right up. So who ever says engine is completely toast or blown. Car would start at all. I know its not needing of a new engine worst thing car has is piston rings or a turbo seal. But Im wondering if it can be anything else?
Since you aren't going to listen to what anyone says, just take it to a shop and have them do the work.
nappingcub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
findurpath
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 277487
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bozeman, MT and Lakewood, WA
Vehicle:
2006 CGM WRX Limited
6sp, 18G, Phatron tuned

Default

OP, how old are you?
findurpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
bboylocob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 151809
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: New Orleans
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
Black

Default

Im pretty sure that i have a right and valid say since i, myself have had a blown motor due to oil starvation. My motor was toast. As in all but one head usable. This did not happen during hard driving .it happened while going around the block to my in laws. My motor was always properly maintenance. I just had bad luck that day.
bboylocob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #20
Type2
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 200436
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lawrence, KS
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Black

Default

First let's clarify something you don't seem to understand. A blown engine does not mean that it physically is blown up, nor does it mean that it is completely seized either. You can start, run, and even drive a blown engine. It may run for 5 minutes, 5 days, or hell, maybe even 5 weeks. But from what you described every single bearing is scored, melted, bent, and clearly out of tolerance. You heads probably are bad as well. You. Need. A. Complete. Rebuild. That's the most polite way I can think of saying it. Good luck.
Type2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #21
bboylocob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 151809
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: New Orleans
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by findurpath View Post
OP, how old are you?
Probl. 16 and his super tuner friends are telling him its nothing. Bc he obviously dont like listening to those who know there stuff or have had personal experience.
bboylocob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #22
tuzzio
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 292532
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Southwick, Ma
Vehicle:
05 STI
PSM

Default

OP is an idiot.


/thread
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #23
ringlander
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336100
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: nj
Vehicle:
2011 sti

Default

Since this is the 2nd engine that has blown up due to oil starvation, maybe you should stop changing your own oil.
ringlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #24
albanhaj
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 342487
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lodi Nj
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
Matte White

Post

i didn't change the oil on it a shop did, i don't think you guys understand fact that car was never driven without oil. car just had a fresh oil change but its recently burning it all. i need is why its being burnt. and its technically only the first engine since the other one was perfectly fine but it was the 2.0 wrx engine. the car just got a oil change 200 miles ago. I understand your point you think the engine is "blown"if it is i don't care my question is what do you think caused it or what else it could be besides blown engine... do you guys only assume the worst on here or something? im amusing the turbo seals and you guys assume a blown engine when it has less then 15,000 miles on it regardless on how much it was beaten on and the car only has 44xxx miles on it... .
albanhaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #25
bboylocob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 151809
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: New Orleans
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
Black

Default

Ok understand whether it was driven or not the damage is already done.
bboylocob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.