Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 10, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Weaves87
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 195237
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
Crystal Grey Metallic

Default P0607 CEL woes

Mods -- I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. Feel free to move to the appropriate forum if need be. I'm not entirely sure what the problem is with my car, but it sounds to be electrical/ECU based on the reading I've been doing.

So I have a 2006 WRX. No serious mods -- just a CBE and an AccessPort flash to stage 1. It's been at stage 1 since early May 2012. Anti-roll bars as well but those obviously aren't the cause of the issues I've been having.

Car has roughly 83k miles on it, mostly highway driving. It had been throwing some secondary air injection codes for a while and I was going to get that system fixed when time and finances permit (and good lord that looks to be expensive.. I wanted to do the clutch first before getting to that).

About two weeks ago I was cruising down the interstate going about 60mph in fifth gear. All of a sudden out of nowhere, the car loses power. Throttle has no juice whatsoever. Car crawls down to about 5mph, at which point I'm flooring it in 1st and the RPMs won't climb above 2000. Sounds like it went into so called "limp mode". Eventually I get to a point where I can pull over, idle is bouncing a bit and acting a little funky. I turn the car off and let it sit for a minute or so. Try starting it again and it turns but won't start. I try again a minute later and it starts, and I can actually get the revs up high. Idle appears to be fine at that point, I throw it into reverse and back up a bit and it goes into limp mode again, losing all the juice.

I turn the car off and hook up my accessport in the car to check on the codes, to see if anything new came up other than the SAI codes I had mentioned before. I see a new one: P0607 (engine control module performance). I couldn't find too much documentation online about the code but it sounds like people had reported similar behavior when it was thrown, but there's no solid answer as to what can cause it... everything from bad grounds to the ECU, faulty throttle body, blown fuse, or even a bricked ECU can apparently cause it to happen.

So I get a tow down to the dealership. They run their diagnostic and think it's being caused by improper voltage due to a terrrrrible battery (it really needed to be replaced, it doesn't hold much charge at all) and the fact that my alternator belt was severely worn and on it's last limbs. They replace those two things, and clean out the throttle body. They tell me that there's a TSB on my car for patching out the P0607 code, so I uninstall my AP to bring the car back to stock for them to do that.

They patch ECU successfully (allegedly) but the code won't go away and the car is apparently running rough. Problem still isn't fixed. They remove the ECU and presumably hook a test/spare one up to it and the car then runs fine. The tech recommended I get a new ECU. I've authorized them to do so and install it in my car, but am not happy about the whole situation obviously.

I'm just wondering: what can cause the ECU to fry like it did? Is there a potential that my AccessPort somehow corrupted something (which is what they seemed to be implying to me)? That doesn't really make much sense to me, because I flashed AP stage 1 mooonths ago and had no issues up until this point. I just want to know if there's something I can do from preventing this from happening in the future. I'll probably hold off on reflashing stage 1 for a while when getting the car back.

Is there a possibility that the secondary air injection valve codes I was throwing could potentially be related to the issue at hand? I had been throwing the code for a while but the car did not run any differently, and based on my reading online (and the fact that the dealership paid no mind to it at all) lead me to believe that it's not a serious issue that needs to be addressed right away.

I'll keep you guys posted on the status of the car when I get it back next week, I'm hoping the replacement ECU is really the issue.

Cliff notes:

- Car broke down on interstate, went into limp mode with P0607 CEL getting thrown.
- Dealership replaced battery, alternator belt, cleaned throttle body, flashed P0607 fix to my ECU (after I had uninstalled/unmarried the AccessPort and brought it back to stock)
- Car still wasn't fixed, they tested with a different ECU and it apparently ran fine. Dealership is recommending that a new ECU get installed.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Weaves87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
bmx045
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 262684
Vehicle:
2011 MCS

you can brick the ecu with a dying battery, even while driving. believe it or not, it happens. it's bizzare but this isn't the first time I've heard of ECU's ****ting the bed when the battery is weak. you can more than likely find an ecu second-hand on here or one of the forums.... for dirt cheap.
bmx045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
brranger
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 99197
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 WRX 6 speed

Any outcome, was it def the ECU being fried?

I just had this CEL pop up
brranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
danci1973
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 19018
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy Wagon
Silver

Angry Another P0607

Hello,

I have a 2006 EDM Legacy 2.0R (EJ204 engine with AVCS and DBW).

Two days ago I noticed some occasional hesitations and sputtering. I hooked up a K-Line adapter and had a look with FreeSSM and RomRaider Logger, but found nothing unusual.

That evening I went for a ride just to log stuff and it felt almost normal - just some very slight hiccups here and there - so slight, I probably wouldn't notice them if I wasn't 'on the mission'.

However - just as I got back home to park the car, reversing into the slot, the car threw a CEL. OK, back to FreeSSM and it was a memorised P0130 and one 'immediate' P0607.

The P0130 is a '02 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank I Sensor 1)' and is a surprise, as the O2 sensor has been replaced recently due to high fuel consumption (and replacing it helped).

The P0607 was also a surprise as I haven't felt anything wrong. I read that usually this code is accompanied by unresponsive throttle and rough idle etc., but none of that seems to hold true for my car.

I used RomRaider Logger to log accelerator pedal and throttle position sensors (both main and sub) as seen by the ECU:
  • Main accelerator sensor: 1.1 - 3.64V
  • Sub accelerator sensor: 1.16 - 3.68V
  • Main throttle sensor - 0.7 - 4.0V
  • Sub throttle sensor - 0.7 - 4.0V

Interestingly, the manual suggests that with this engine the sub throttle sensor is supposed to be 'reversed' - 4.2 - 4.8V fully closed and 0.1 - 0.3V fully open - but I find it hard to imagine how the sensor could've failed like that.

I also check my grounds and the battery, but they seem to be fine (the battery holds 12.6V after resting overnight).

So - apart from these sensors (and a bad ECU), what else could cause the P0607?

D.
danci1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
danci1973
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 19018
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy Wagon
Silver

I have an update... The car sort of 'fixed itself'.

Yesterday I had a day off so I decided to check the wiring between 'electronic throttle control' and ECU. Armed with relevant pages of the FSM and a multimeter I checked all 6 wires and they all checked out OK showing less then 0.1 Ohm resistance. I also couldn't see any loose wires or corroded connector pins / prongs / ...
So I put everything back just in time as a buddy brought his OBD2 scanner to reset the CEL codes (somehow resetting CEL's doesn't seem to work with SSM neither by FreeSSM nor RomRaider Logger).

After resetting CEL's the P0607 was gone and the 'cruise' light stopped blinking until I cycled the ignition (ON -> OFF -> ON). The CEL and blinking 'cruise' light happen as soon as the car finishes the 'startup procedure' (priming the fuel pump, ...) - before staring the engine or touching the accelerator pedal...

At one point instead of cycling the ignition after CEL reset I decided to just start the car to see how it's running - and it started fine, it was runing normally. I turned it off and on a couple of times but nothing changed, really.

Then my buddy asked me to configure his new Bluetooth OBD2 tool on his notebook, so I turned the ignition off, removed the 'wired' OBD2 to connect the wireless one and started fiddling with the laptop. Since it wasn't a straight forward process, we cycled the ignition a couple of times and after a while I stopped paying attention to the 'cruise' light.

However - once the wireless OBD2 started working, I suddenly noticed that there was no P0607 CEL in the readout and the 'cruise' light wasn't blinking! I couldn't quite believe my eyes so I tried to cycle the ignition a couple of times, then connected the old tested wired OBD2 tool - but it was true, no more P0607...

Of course this is a double sided blade - it's nice that the problem is gone, but I'd be happier if I knew what caused so I could get it fixed for good...

Danilo, just sharing his frustration
danci1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Weaves87
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 195237
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
Crystal Grey Metallic

Hey guys, an update on this.

So when they replaced the ECU, the problem was fixed. I cruised on it stock for about a month, then flashed back to stage 1 on the AP. Ran fine until last night (about 1.5 months later).

I was going up a hill in 2nd, no real heavy revving or anything, then all of a sudden I hear a click from the glove box and once again -- car loses all power, won't go above 2k RPM. Thankfully I was right next to my apartment so I just parked at the closest spot. Turned it off.. waited a few moments then turned it back on and my revs came back. But when I started accelerating again, within seconds, I heard that same click from the glove box area and all power was killed once again. Parked it for good for the night.

This morning I did the same thing. Turned it on, running fine.. I cruised about a half mile or so and then the exact same thing happened. At this point I just called a tow truck driver and brought it down to a shop that was recommended to me recently. The dealership seemed to have no clue what they were doing and I wound up blowing like $2k on the whole ordeal back in January, so I wasn't eager to let them have at it again. Time to let someone else take a look.

Obviously, I don't think this is just a freak ECU failure like the dealership was telling me. I have a hard time believing my car can fry two ECUs like that, especially when I've only been riding on this new one for like 2.5 months. If the new ECU is indeed fried (I'll find out tomorrow I guess) then something has to be causing it. Crap wiring/grounds perhaps?

So back to square one now

I'll try to update this thread when I find out more, I kinda dropped the ball before.
Weaves87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
scaaby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 294205
Vehicle:
2006 92x aero

Have you ever figured out what was causing the problem? I'm having this same exact problem. A clicking behind the glove box and then the car either dies or goes into limp mode. If i clear the CEL codes I can drive again for a few miles until the clicking and stall repeats itself.
scaaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:22 AM   #8
elandman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 346897

Any updates?
I'm getting p0607 on occasion now too, but only when at WOT, around 4500 rpm, full boost, and lift off accelerator fast. But occurs randomly. I cannot reproduce it manually. Reset ecu and all is fine again
elandman is offline   Reply With Quote