Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
cannedtuna
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286661
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ/TX
Default 2015 WRX *concept* Official unveiling + Magazine racing pretend cars!

It looks kinda cool:



Update: March 28, 2013- 2015 WRX Concept Revealed at NYIAS, thanks to the mods for maintaining the content of this thread.



Update: April 16, 2013- A WRX or STI pre production model was spotted testing in Germany:

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by cannedtuna; 04-17-2013 at 08:38 AM.
cannedtuna is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 01:26 AM   #2
moonrider_99
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 258628
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2009 WRX stg2-SOLD
2012 MS3

Default

I think this is just the impreza mule used to test the new 2L DIT in intense heat... This is NOT the 2014 WRX. I believe we saw pictures of this particular mule some time ago already.
moonrider_99 is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
07wrxseattle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312598
Join Date: Mar 2012
Default

Better not be looks like ****
07wrxseattle is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
LuigiTheDog
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339030
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default

I hope not
LuigiTheDog is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #5
delongedoug
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 124113
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: To infinity
Vehicle:
and beyond!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07wrxseattle View Post
Better not be looks like ****
Do you know what a mule is, ass?
delongedoug is online now  
Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 AM   #6
ChiWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 140955
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Mikado
Vehicle:
Just trying to be
productive here.

Default

Just a mule.
ChiWRX is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
GetTheLedOut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 220305
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiWRX View Post
Just a mule.
How many here have driven mules for an OEM? Dance like a bana.
Me ->

Truthfully, no one here can say if it's a mule or not. There are different
kinds of mules; they're not all equal. There's the mule variant like was seen
during the BRZ development where the mule was based on a similiar and
heavily modified platform, ala Frankenstein. Then there are mules in which the mule is based on the production version of the platform it will be built on with far, far less modifications because the new car is JUST that similiar to the production car. I beleive this is what we are seeing with these mules.

Keep in mind that Subaru has said the WRX and WRX STI will be be built on a unique platoform to differentiate the two vehicles. Translation from Japanese to english being what it is, and then hand me down stories passed from person to person, are NOT valid statements to take to the bank. It could very well mean the the STI will ride on a unique platform whereas the WRX will be Impreza based.

Mules NEED to match their production characteristics as much as humanly possible; that's why the BRZ was such a hodge-podge of parts, and its also why the WRX is just an Impreza with a scoop.

I think when its all said and done, the WRX will be based off an Impreza whereas the STI will be riding on a new chassis.

I like (so far) what I've seen in the new WRX.
GetTheLedOut is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
Lrn2Corner
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 246224
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Chesapeake
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Sedan
12 Rav4 V6

Default

Except subaru has stated already that the WRX AND STI will be on a completely separate platform from the impreza and in no way shape or form have anything in common with the impreza anymore other than boxer engine and all wheel drive.

why do people ignore what Subaru says and come up with stupid crap to say of their own is beyond me.
Lrn2Corner is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
a2cpc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10139
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indy/Broad Ripple
Vehicle:
9&11 WRX 5Dr
DGM/Silver

Default

I need a sighting that will keep me from buying something stupid!
a2cpc is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
Cocoa Beach Bum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17355
Join Date: Apr 2002
Default

Hybrid testing?
Cocoa Beach Bum is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
IWantASuby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 190420
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: VT
Vehicle:
'03 WRX Wagon
Sonic Yellow, Stage 2

Default

I knew there had to be video footage of the spy photos that were posted months ago of this car...While I do think the next WRX will ride on a modified Impreza platform, the bodywork should be quite different.
IWantASuby is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
sir_wagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 71549
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Mid-Atlantic Region
Default

They can say one thing and honestly mean it at the time, but market conditions and internal resource allocation of a company can change the plans. For example, according to various press releases, at one time the Tribeca was supposed to be Subaru's first step into seriously moving the brand upscale, then the recession hit, and the Impreza became a sales hit instead.

The original plan of a separate all-new WRX platform could still be in place, with this car being just a mule to test the turbo engine under US conditions, or Subaru could still decide to keep the WRX and the Impreza on the same platform after all and continue development of the BRZ and the XV in order to increase overall corporate sales volume.
sir_wagon is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
09 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Beach Bum View Post
Hybrid testing?

I was thinking the same thing until I saw the dual exhaust. Now. Could the hybrid be something like the B5-TPH? Hmmm....
JustyWRC is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #14
ea126405
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317032
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Corn Country
Default

That POS-lookin' thing better be a mule. If not, people who are waiting for 2014 are gonna be WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY disapointed.
ea126405 is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
03Sonicywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236057
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Tri state- Lancaster PA
Vehicle:
2003 6262 sonic bug
2013 wrb hatch

Default

It's to early to tell, but as of now thank god I bought a 2013. That is god awful looking.
03Sonicywrx is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #16
scramjett
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 192526
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX FMIC/VF48
Red/Steel Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrn2Corner View Post
Except subaru has stated already that the WRX AND STI will be on a completely separate platform from the impreza and in no way shape or form have anything in common with the impreza anymore other than boxer engine and all wheel drive.

why do people ignore what Subaru says and come up with stupid crap to say of their own is beyond me.
Led is right and things get lost in translation, especially when dealing with two completely different languages. A shoddy translation is told to someome, then they further muck things up when passing it, on so and so forth.

Yes, it's a mule for a WRX, but its obvious that because its a mule based upon a VERY lightly modded Impreza (unlike the BRZ mule) this is highly indicative that the new WRX will be based on the Impreza; just different body panels, and, I'm crossing my fingers, a new and better interior than the Impreza.

I think Led is right and it will be the STI that rides on a "new" platform. Let's face it, the WRX is cheap car until you start adding extras to it. The STI is expensive (relatively) even with nothing on it.

I think the new WRX will be a sharp looking car when they're baking it and pull it out of the oven. The new Impreza is a good looking car, so if its based on that, then there won't be the universal hatred of it that the 08s had.

Personally, I'd love to see 3 door STI, while the WRX remains 4 and 5 doors.

Wishing aside, heated debates aside, I'd love for Subaru to toss us a bone and let us know when the new Rex will be on sale. It's kind of mucking up my plans for replacing my daily driver.
scramjett is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #17
Zaya
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336204
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, Ontario Canada.
Vehicle:
1979 Z28 Camaro
Burgundy

Default

Are they changing the model for the 2014? Or is it staying the same look? Anyone know? I was looking to buy the 2013 but was told they're changing the model just curious if it's true.
Zaya is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #18
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
09 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramjett View Post

I think the new WRX will be a sharp looking car when they're baking it and pull it out of the oven. The new Impreza is a good looking car, so if its based on that, then there won't be the universal hatred of it that the 08s had.

Personally, I'd love to see 3 door STI, while the WRX remains 4 and 5 doors.

Wishing aside, heated debates aside, I'd love for Subaru to toss us a bone and let us know when the new Rex will be on sale. It's kind of mucking up my plans for replacing my daily driver.

That sold in record numbers. Funny how people still think it was hated soo much. Unless, of course, you meant your definition of "universal" is the NASIOC "universe".

As for when the new one will be available; I was told by an exec that it will be a year from now(January). I have said this is several other posts. Now. Knowing Subaru, that can be +/- a month or so. I believe the first ones will hit the ground in January(USDM). My dealer will probably get one mid February.
JustyWRC is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #19
Lrn2Corner
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 246224
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Chesapeake
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Sedan
12 Rav4 V6

Default

The trend for the WRX STI is that the base of the car is completely based off the Impreza. Subaru states the WRX/STI will no longer be based off the impreza and in turn become its own model. Subaru is not going to make the WRX a beefed up impreza this time (seeing as they said they wont and in the end would hurt them financially) just like they aren't going to make the STI its own special completely new car model separate from the WRX (as much as you would like). Hence both WRX and STI are separating completely from the Impreza model to become a model of their own. Does this logic escape you? You do realize they have STI models of other vehicles overseas right?

If they did keep the WRX as a modified Impreza it would not sell nearly as well. Think about how the current WRX sells like hot cakes. It was obvious that the car lost sales due to looking boring and piss poor performance in 2008. They bump up the performance and sales increased. Then they dumped the narrow body all together. Why do you think it sells so well now? Why do you think they dumped the narrow body designs after 2010? Otherwise the 2011+ revision would never have taken place. Then look what happened, sales soared. Subaru won't make the same mistake twice by making the WRX a piece of garbage again just to satisfy a few wannabe elitists who prop the STI on a pedestal every chance they get and feel that anything else should get half ass developement. The only reason why the 2008 did decently in sales is due to being carried by its name. Anyone who cared to pay attention after they bought their 2008 most likely has buyers remorse as has been expressed by several people on the forums alone.

In the end Subaru would lose money on the entire line because not everyone is willing to shell out 35k for a car that looks and performs great when they have other comparable options, budgets, needs or tastes. That is why the WRX is successful. It has the looks and fits that part where comfort and performance meet aesthetics for a good price. It is bad enough that the STI goes up in price only to have no real improvement in the 10 years it has been out. Which in turn does not help its case.

Part of the draw to the WRX is looking like its big brother counterpart while still being a quick and fun car to drive without all the track goodies and cost of the STI. Fun and affordable while keeping the look. Not a hard concept to grasp.

If the WRX was going to be a modified Impreza then wouldn't you think they would have shown it to the world already (then promptly get laughed off the stage)? How hard would it be to install suspension, wider tires, a wing, a 2.0DIT engine, seats and a hood scoop? The current WRX sets a pretty high bar for the next iteration and going backwards is the opposite of this car's evolution. If anything their best bet would be to slightly improve the car OR keep it at the same benchmark.

To argue otherwise would mean you don't understand how a business works and how all successful businesses must cater to the demand of the customer to some extent with their product. Subaru is not waiting to debut a modified Impreza or else they would be the laughing stock of the industry. It would be pretty stupid to make this current gen WRX the peak of the series and start rolling downhill.
Lrn2Corner is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
manticus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 162857
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, AB
Vehicle:
2011 Subaru STI
2014 Crosstrek XV

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrn2Corner View Post
The only reason why the 2008 did decently in sales is due to being carried by its name. Anyone who cared to pay attention after they bought their 2008 most likely has buyers remorse as has been expressed by several people on the forums alone.
I don't have buyer's remorse - stats skewed!

Quote:
It is bad enough that the STI goes up in price only to have no real improvement in the 10 years it has been out. Which in turn does not help its case.
It's improved every year in performance, perhaps lower in feel (subjective), and lowered in price when adjusting for inflation.

Just sayin'
manticus is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
scramjett
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 192526
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX FMIC/VF48
Red/Steel Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrn2Corner View Post
The trend for the WRX STI is that the base of the car is completely based off the Impreza. Subaru states the WRX/STI will no longer be based off the impreza and in turn become its own model. Subaru is not going to make the WRX a beefed up impreza this time (seeing as they said they wont and in the end would hurt them financially) just like they aren't going to make the STI its own special completely new car model separate from the WRX (as much as you would like). Hence both WRX and STI are separating completely from the Impreza model to become a model of their own. Does this logic escape you? You do realize they have STI models of other vehicles overseas right?

If they did keep the WRX as a modified Impreza it would not sell nearly as well. Think about how the current WRX sells like hot cakes. It was obvious that the car lost sales due to looking boring and piss poor performance in 2008. They bump up the performance and sales increased. Then they dumped the narrow body all together. Why do you think it sells so well now? Why do you think they dumped the narrow body designs after 2010? Otherwise the 2011+ revision would never have taken place. Then look what happened, sales soared. Subaru won't make the same mistake twice by making the WRX a piece of garbage again just to satisfy a few wannabe elitists who prop the STI on a pedestal every chance they get and feel that anything else should get half ass developement. The only reason why the 2008 did decently in sales is due to being carried by its name. Anyone who cared to pay attention after they bought their 2008 most likely has buyers remorse as has been expressed by several people on the forums alone.

In the end Subaru would lose money on the entire line because not everyone is willing to shell out 35k for a car that looks and performs great when they have other comparable options, budgets, needs or tastes. That is why the WRX is successful. It has the looks and fits that part where comfort and performance meet aesthetics for a good price. It is bad enough that the STI goes up in price only to have no real improvement in the 10 years it has been out. Which in turn does not help its case.

Part of the draw to the WRX is looking like its big brother counterpart while still being a quick and fun car to drive without all the track goodies and cost of the STI. Fun and affordable while keeping the look. Not a hard concept to grasp.

If the WRX was going to be a modified Impreza then wouldn't you think they would have shown it to the world already (then promptly get laughed off the stage)? How hard would it be to install suspension, wider tires, a wing, a 2.0DIT engine, seats and a hood scoop? The current WRX sets a pretty high bar for the next iteration and going backwards is the opposite of this car's evolution. If anything their best bet would be to slightly improve the car OR keep it at the same benchmark.

To argue otherwise would mean you don't understand how a business works and how all successful businesses must cater to the demand of the customer to some extent with their product. Subaru is not waiting to debut a modified Impreza or else they would be the laughing stock of the industry. It would be pretty stupid to make this current gen WRX the peak of the series and start rolling downhill.
Holy english batman! Proper grammar on Nasioc!

You write your argument well enough, but I think its flawed. Where you say that the current WRX sells like hotcakes, and if the next WRX is based off of the Impreza it won't, and it will be a stepbackwards.

How is that? Its like saying if A implies B, and C implies D, that therefore A implies E. There is no reason whatsoever that the Subaru couldn't base the new WRX on the Impreza platform, and at the same time raise bar yet again on the WRX. In order for your argument to hold water, the current Impreza would have to be some half-assed POS like a Mitsubishi Mirage, and it would be impossible to "rexify" the Impreza. That's clearly not the case and its well known that (less about 23hp) the new Impreza is a huge improvement over the previous Impreza.

Keep in mind, the Evolution is based off a FWD econobox, and look what an OEM can produce based on that FWD platform. I dare say the Impreza is a better vehicle than the Lancer.

You ask why hasn't Subaru shown the new WRX yet if it just based off of an Impreza. The asnwer is simple: it's not time to reveal to the world what it is they are developing. At this stage of the product development cycle (I work in automotive engineering as well) there are likely not a single press vehicle available yet with the new body panels, and the new interior.

I'll just reiterate, that because Subaru is using essentially a stock Impreza (different hood, powerplant, tranny, exhaust, suspension), this *clearly* and *blatantly* indicates that the new WRX is so similiar to an unmolested Impreza in weight, aerodynamics, wheelbase, etc, etc, that the new WRX will be based on the Impreza -- with different body panels and hopefully a better and more premium interior. The proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes, and their pudding (mule) is an Impreza. A implies B, and B imples C, and therefore A implies C. No holes or gaps in this logic.

To base an assertation that Subaru has a new vehicle architecture that will be entering production this year, and no examples of it have been witnessed in hot weather testing, cold weather testing, or even on any test track, leads one to believe that if there is a new architecture out there, its not quite ready from prime-time this year - maybe next year, but not this year.

The current WRX has been in production for 5 years. Yes, it got new body panels and a bigger turbo, but its the same car that hit the dealer lots in 2007. Subie really needs to roll out something new THIS year. Even if they just dump the 2.0 DIT and 6spd in the current car, they've got to do something.
scramjett is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #22
a2cpc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10139
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indy/Broad Ripple
Vehicle:
9&11 WRX 5Dr
DGM/Silver

Default

Unfortunately, I am beginning to believe that the next Gen WRX won't see the shores until sometime late in 2014 as a 2015 model. This might truly suck for me as I really wanted to be totally debt free in 2017. I might hold off if I get some clue as to what the next WRX was going to look like.
a2cpc is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #23
naimouasta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 47998
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
2008 Legacy QSM

Default

am i the only one that notices its a manual tranny?

and as much as people like to let their imaginations run wild i think the wrx/sti will still be jacked up impreza's.
naimouasta is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #24
nashcarr
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 131897
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Ohio
Vehicle:
2010 STi
SSM

Default

Exact same car as those other mule pictures. Meh.
nashcarr is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #25
rob1n1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276425
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramjett View Post
I'll just reiterate, that because Subaru is using essentially a stock Impreza (different hood, powerplant, tranny, exhaust, suspension), this *clearly* and *blatantly* indicates that the new WRX is so similiar to an unmolested Impreza in weight, aerodynamics, wheelbase, etc, etc, that the new WRX will be based on the Impreza -- with different body panels and hopefully a better and more premium interior. The proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes, and their pudding (mule) is an Impreza. A implies B, and B imples C, and therefore A implies C. No holes or gaps in this logic.
I think it can be a good guess that the WRX/STI and the Impreza will share the same platforms, because after all Subaru is a pretty small car company and I doubt they can swing two completely separate platforms for cars that are very similar in size and overall dimensions.

However, I don't think this means that the new WRX will be exactly like the Impreza any way beyond that. They are introducing a DIT engine into the next WRX and STI model, so this could just be using the Impreza platform to test that drivetrain out. Why swap anything else out if that's all that's being tested?

I highly doubt the Impreza and WRX/STI will be similar in weight and aerodynamics. Weight is pretty much a given once you put a turbo drivetrain in there, plus suspension bits and the Brembos for the STI, to oversimplify it.

You're making jumps in your logic and assuming.

Quote:
To base an assertation that Subaru has a new vehicle architecture that will be entering production this year, and no examples of it have been witnessed in hot weather testing, cold weather testing, or even on any test track, leads one to believe that if there is a new architecture out there, its not quite ready from prime-time this year - maybe next year, but not this year.
Subaru has stated many times that the new WRX/STI will be a different car than the Impreza. This doesn't mean they won't share the basic platforms, but I doubt they will be very similar. Look at Ford and GM; they have "platforms" that they use all around the world for very different cars.

And it's pretty accepted by now that the new WRX/STI won't be coming until MY2015 at the earliest.
rob1n1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.