Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #51
KC
Scooby Guru

Member#: 442
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

But... in that action of pulling the butt end of the club, the club doesn't 'flex' like that.

nhat, as I said, nice clubs... but what helped you decide on Wishons? What do they offer for you?

--kC
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #52
Badler
Scooby Guru

Member#: 133597
Chapter/Region: SCIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
But... in that action of pulling the butt end of the club, the club doesn't 'flex' like that.

nhat, as I said, nice clubs... but what helped you decide on Wishons? What do they offer for you?

--kC
He's already 1/4 way into his downswing. He takes it way past parallel. You think the shaft stays straight?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #53
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Right. It's a pulling action. The club doesn't look like that during the backswing. It shouldn't be bent like that when he's pulling it down. The camera that took the shot has a progressive scan goes top to bottom and doesn't just take the shot.

Here's a real photo of the steps in his swing... notice the rather straight club?

He plays a 48" XXXX. It just doesn't flex THAT MUCH.

His swing is so fast, the camera that took that shot caught the shaft bending at different times as it was exposed to the sensor.
--kC
Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #54
Badler
Scooby Guru

That's his long drive driver in your pic. He's hitting a 3w in the other. He's trying to make it on tour.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #55
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badler View Post
That's his long drive driver in your pic. He's hitting a 3w in the other. He's trying to make it on tour.

No he isn't. That's a cellphone pic (PROGRESSIVE SCAN) posted to Twitter. He's hitting a Cally driver at the PGA show. He was hitting it 400 according to the trackman.

Here's video of him while he was doing it with his made for him, Cally X-Hot, 4* long drive, DRIVER. That is not a 3w.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/...7#entry6295347

And yes, I know it's a different shaft, however the head is the same size.

--kC
Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #56
Badler
Scooby Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhat View Post

Dat bow doe
Ok now you're smoking crack. Can you tell the difference between black and white? Look at the video you posted above. White shaft. Look at the picture above. Look at the size of the clubhead too. Look how high it's teed.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #57
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Quote:
Ok now you're smoking crack. Can you tell the difference between black and white? Look at the video you posted above. White shaft. Look at the picture above. Look at the size of the clubhead too. Look how high it's teed.
You can't tell how high its teed. It's cut off (and he tees everything up high)

I took out the offending part from my thread.

That bowing is a function of the camera and not his swinging a club and resultant bowing. Trying to find other cell pics of swings. I this it was either GuhGuhGuh or BacDoc that had some pics of the clubhead being in a completely wrong and imossible position.

--kC
Old 01-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #58
Badler
Scooby Guru

Cell phone pics don't magically change the color from white to black.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #59
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Quote:
Cell phone pics don't magically change the color from white to black.
No, but shafts do in XHot Drivers.

Again, that extreme bend is not a result of his swing. It's the camera. You obviously don't understand or accept that. Oh well.

--kC
Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #60
Badler
Scooby Guru

Show me pics of him hitting a black shafted driver there. I'll wait.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #61
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Ok, found the examples, I was using the wrong term. It's "Rolling Shutter"

Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #62
tommaso05
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 277826
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2009 TSX 6 speed

I agree on its the camera causing most of the bend. Here's a pic of me from late last year in Vegas that my brother took with his iphone (turned out really neat...I missed the green by about 5 feet but pared the hole)

Old 01-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #63
Badler
Scooby Guru

It's at the top of his backswing/start of his downswing. How fast do you think the clubhead is moving there? All your examples are well into the downswing. Who knows how old they are and what cell phones were used.

Show me him hitting a black shafted driver there!?!?

To the guy above me. That looks fairly normal? You know the clubs flex right?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #64
tommaso05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 TSX 6 speed

Quote:
To the guy above me. That looks fairly normal? You know the clubs flex right?
It's not a good example of what I said, but I just wanted to post it (it's snowing here and I'm itching to play again)

They do flex but not as much as most pictures show. This is making me want to go to the driving range with a buddy to take pics.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #65
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

You just refuse to give up. That would have to be a senior flex on an iron.

At the top of Jamies back swing, I would think the club is NOT MOVING FAST AT ALL because it slows for the transistion to the downswing.

His hands are completely out of place for the position the head is in. I would love to see you try and have a shaft bend that much during a transition from backswing to downswing.

--kC
Old 01-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #66
ZMANNH25rs
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 9401
Vehicle:
. Truth is a
pathless land...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhat View Post
That club head speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUZeBzkcLU0

But this guy is a monster, his ability to turn his body like that is amazing. One of my goals is to work on my flexibility to combat getting older and slower...
Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #67
Badler
Scooby Guru

Quote:
You just refuse to give up. That would have to be a senior flex on an iron.

At the top of Jamies back swing, I would think the club is NOT MOVING FAST AT ALL because it slows for the transistion to the downswing.

His hands are completely out of place for the position the head is in. I would love to see you try and have a shaft bend that much during a transition from backswing to downswing.

--kC
Dude... All your examples of this cell phone scan stuff is when the club is moving fast.

How do you even know what club that is? Could be a stock 3 wood for all we know. It is 100% not his long drive driver though.

This cellphone trickery too? Tell me about Tiger's hand positions, etc...

Stop comparing yourself or myself to long drive champs/tour players.

Last edited by Badler; 01-25-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #68
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Quote:
Dude... All your examples of this cell phone scan stuff is when the club is moving fast.

This cellphone trickery too? Tell me about Tiger's hand positions, etc...

Stop comparing yourself or myself to long drive champs/tour players.
OMG Look at that extreme bend! That's completely the same thing! Wow. Can't beleive it.

Not.

--kC
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #69
Badler
Scooby Guru

Quote:
OMG Look at that extreme bend! That's completely the same thing! Wow. Can't beleive it.

Not.

--kC
125mph vs 148mph. What is so hard to get about him doing that to a club?!?!?!

You still don't think thats his long drive driver do you? You know what color his signature shaft he plays is right?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #70
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

I see you're stuck on what club it is. I'm stuck on the bend of the club.

I really don't care if it's a 3W, a 300yd putter, his driver, etc... the point is, that picture was taken by a phone with a rolling shutter and produced a wildly distorted bend.

Do clubs bend? Yes. To that extreme in the case of a fast or slow swing? No.

And that's still a driver, not a 3w. May not be HIS long driver, but it's at the Cally booth, taken Wednesday.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #71
tommaso05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 TSX 6 speed

I wish I could get in the same position as Tiger is in that pic. I know I couldn't ever swing that hard, but that's so textbook perfect it's amazing

*Equipment question! I have an R7s driver with the stock stiff shaft. I want to experiment with an xtra stiff shaft to try to figure out some things about my swing. I don't care if the shaft is used or new, and I'd like to buy 1 and just be able to easily swap it out. Is Ebay the best place to go look for this? I do have a Golf Galaxy nearby that might have a fitting station, so I'll give them a call. Just looking for opinions here.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #72
jim_newton
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338099
Chapter/Region: MAIC

agreed .. there's no way you can get the face back to square with even half of that amount of flex. That is camera trickery.

If you disagree, I have this useless Adams 2H I'll give you to try out. It has an absurd amount of flex to it, AND the head is so ridiculously heavy that it is *impossible* to get it to square up. No matter how slow you swing or whatever you try, it is just way too much flex to get back to square at impact.

Swapped that for a nickent 3H with a stiff steel shaft and couldn't be happier. The shaft is the most important part of the club... I'd also like to try x-stiff on the driver, but I have to see trackman first.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #73
Badler
Scooby Guru

No, YOU guys or MYSELF couldn't. These are goddamn professionals we are talking about here.

Okay, let's say it's just a regular driver. He couldn't do that with 140+ swing speed to a regular OTS driver?!?!? Why are you basing your whole thing on a rolling shutter that only happens when things are moving really fast, yet you admit the club isn't moving fast?

Whatever... You guys just keep working on getting into a single digit. I'll stick to what I know.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #74
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaso05 View Post
*Equipment question! I have an R7s driver with the stock stiff shaft. I want to experiment with an xtra stiff shaft to try to figure out some things about my swing. I don't care if the shaft is used or new, and I'd like to buy 1 and just be able to easily swap it out. Is Ebay the best place to go look for this? I do have a Golf Galaxy nearby that might have a fitting station, so I'll give them a call. Just looking for opinions here.
Really, head to golfwrx if you haven't already and read. Read. Read. Most of the threads I read last year were on shafts and their makeup. No two stiff or xstiff shafts are the same. Much of the shaft that works for you depends on YOUR swing profile and how the club gets loaded and unloaded. At what point do your hands release, etc...

It could just be the swingweight (where the bend/flex point is for the shaft) is not up to snuff with your swing.

There's three areas that shafts will bend classified as butt (near the grip) mid (middle of the club) and tip (closer to the head).

My swing and your swing will load the club on the upswing and unload the club on the downswing differently.

My hands and your hands will release as different positions.

My swing speed is different than your swing speed.

Yadda yadda yadda.

My suggestion is this... you can nip all the guesswork in the bud, and go see a fitter just to have them evaluate your swing. Have them suggest what would work for you. You don't have to BUY STUFF when you go to a fitter. But they have the eye for the swing and will help get you down a better road.

The shaft/club should fit your swing, not the other way around.

Thre's no harm in buying and selling used, especially if they're already tipped. At one point in time, I had 7 different shafts I was trying. Buy and selling them have become much easier and you usually sell for the same price you bought.

There's no harm in playing, sampling, getting a feel for the things... but with an adjustable driver, it ALSO be that you just need more (or less) loft. (Don't forget, adjusting loft means you're opening or closing the face... )

Unless your driver SS is over 110, I'd suggest staying with stiff, but playing with different bend profiles.

--kC
Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #75
tommaso05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 TSX 6 speed

Good stuff, KC. I appreciate the input. Looks like Golf Galaxy does driver fittings for $30. Any way I look at it I'm not finding a tipped used x-stiff shaft for less than that, and a driver fitting would be a better investment. And it looks like the store I'll be going to is a certified Taylor Made fitting place, so they'll have a bunch of different driver shafts to try out.
Closed Thread