Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
matigas_TT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322775
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: SNJ
Vehicle:
2012 WRX-4Dr
SWP

Default Problems with my 2012 WRX - Popping on exhaust / Whistle on Half Throttle



Car: 2012 WRX
Mileage: 5941
Mods: Nameless Axelback

Issues: below

So.. I'm on my 8months of owning this WRX and the first issue was a fluid leak shown here (intercooler hose problem) http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2422067

Then last week same problem occured but this time with additional issues!

1. On half throttle whistling noise can be heard on driver side (boost leak maybe?)
2. Changing gears on half throttle produces a loud popping noise on the exhaust.

Any of you 2011-2013 owners experienced this ?
Dropped my car off the dealership this morning and they said there is an ECM update or system they have to do and look at the leaks..

Car is completely stock..
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
matigas_TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
cineris
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 263329
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus, OH
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
DGM

Default

Is it a muffler delete axle back? Mine pops all day. Also, that whooshing sound is most likely intercooler to throttle body hose.
cineris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
matigas_TT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322775
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: SNJ
Vehicle:
2012 WRX-4Dr
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineris View Post
Is it a muffler delete axle back? Mine pops all day. Also, that whooshing sound is most likely intercooler to throttle body hose.
Yep, but this only started happening. This wasn't happening before
matigas_TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
cineris
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 263329
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus, OH
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matigas_TT View Post

Yep, but this only started happening. This wasn't happening before
Are you talking about the popping or the whooshing? Popping happened to me as soon as I put the axle back on. The whooshing could be a problem with the IC-throttle body hose getting kinked. Very very common with 08+ WRXs.
cineris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
1wrxtra
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316364
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matigas_TT View Post


Car: 2012 WRX
Mileage: 5941
Mods: Nameless Axelback

Issues: below

So.. I'm on my 8months of owning this WRX and the first issue was a fluid leak shown here (intercooler hose problem) http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2422067

Then last week same problem occured but this time with additional issues!

1. On half throttle whistling noise can be heard on driver side (boost leak maybe?)

Where are you located? What about the sound at WOT? Is it much louder? Is it a whistling sound or like a high powered kazoo type sound? I have a sort of whistle but it's not a boost leak... the turbo spooling is definitely louder at colder temps. Do a search for "wrx whistle" and you'll find quite a few threads on this same issue with videos and sound clips for your comparison.

2. Changing gears on half throttle produces a loud popping noise on the exhaust.

I have Nameless's catback on my '12 sedan with a 5" muffler and resonated midpipe, and I get these pops too. It's my understanding that the cause is hot air meeting with cold air as the exhaust leaves the pipe. I didn't really like them at first but they've grown on me. If I go 60-100% throttle for a few seconds and let off it make a pretty aggressive growl/pop.

Any of you 2011-2013 owners experienced this ?
Dropped my car off the dealership this morning and they said there is an ECM update or system they have to do and look at the leaks..
The ECU update is for the coolant thermostat, my understanding is that it's related to emissions in certain states.
Car is completely stock..
Message too short
1wrxtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
CO11WRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 304018
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Greenwood Village, CO
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
TP Stage 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineris View Post
Are you talking about the popping or the whooshing? Popping happened to me as soon as I put the axle back on. The whooshing could be a problem with the IC-throttle body hose getting kinked. Very very common with 08+ WRXs.
I've got the "exhaust popping" noise with the Nameless Axleback as well. It started doing this as soon as I put the exhaust on. I don't really hear the popping too much during shifts, but if I am idling and rev the engine, it pops almost every time. I consider it to be normal in my situation. Is there a chance you could make a video of the sound?
CO11WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 128mph

Default

I'm 100% sure it's a boost leak. Very, very likely it's the throttle body to TMIC hose. See here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2453485
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2447983

In your last thread people told you to remove those caps. It is a known issue and the dealer won't do it because it's not factory spec. Remove the caps and tighten it back down and it will never be an issue again.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
matigas_TT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322775
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: SNJ
Vehicle:
2012 WRX-4Dr
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wrxtra View Post
Message too short
1. NJ, I did look at youtube and it's a boost leak, again this only happened two weeks ago and we had colder temps before this happened
2. Interesting..
3. Thanks for the heads up


Quote:
Originally Posted by CO11WRX View Post
I've got the "exhaust popping" noise with the Nameless Axleback as well. It started doing this as soon as I put the exhaust on. I don't really hear the popping too much during shifts, but if I am idling and rev the engine, it pops almost every time. I consider it to be normal in my situation. Is there a chance you could make a video of the sound?
I will when I have the car back

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
I'm 100% sure it's a boost leak. Very, very likely it's the throttle body to TMIC hose. See here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2453485
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2447983

In your last thread people told you to remove those caps. It is a known issue and the dealer won't do it because it's not factory spec. Remove the caps and tighten it back down and it will never be an issue again.
I was going to do this but I'm afraid that dealership will put this blame on me when I get a different issue and they saw that I did this method "You did this, you did that" just paranoid. but I might just do this... no aftermarket park for this ?
matigas_TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 128mph

Default

There are aftermarket hoses for that location, but you do not need one. You just need to remove the pieces of rubber from both ends of that hose. With those on it leaks at stock boost (as you've seen). With them off my car does double the stock boost and it holds fine.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
GrumpyPitbull
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313311
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matigas_TT View Post

I was going to do this but I'm afraid that dealership will put this blame on me when I get a different issue and they saw that I did this method "You did this, you did that" just paranoid. but I might just do this... no aftermarket park for this ?
You are afraid to remove the IC hose rubber thingy, but are willing to bolt in an aftermarket hose?

If your stock, then do not waste money on a new hose ... simply remove the rubber cap things and never worry about it again. However, if you are terribly worried about the dealership, then yes there are aftermarket hoses available.
GrumpyPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
whitesoorex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336393
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Richmond
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
White

Default

the nameless is a complete muffler delete, not an exhaust system. I have it too on my car and yes it pops and grumbles. If you dont like it you probably should have got a muffler. I love it.
whitesoorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
momoscoobiedoo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276198
Join Date: Mar 2011
Default

Plus one for nameless I have a complete cbe from them with a invidia probably te loudest Subaru on the west coast lol
momoscoobiedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
424wrx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 171948
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: new york
Vehicle:
2008 vf52wrx12.6@108
11 forester,14 legacy

Default

this doesnt seem like alot of problems as your title states. you are under warranty. see what the dealer says.
424wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #14
synolimit
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 225225
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: medina, oh
Vehicle:
11 WRX
335HP, 394TQ, 93 VF52!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 424wrx View Post
this doesnt seem like alot of problems as your title states. you are under warranty. see what the dealer says.
As stated dealer won't fix it because they can't.

OP youve been told already how to fix it! Listen to Xluben. I'd say him and i have more underhood time on these than anyone so listen. Also oil shouldn't be there on your air pump hose. Not sure why or where it's coming from. look into it further. If it is your IC hose then you're dumping oil into the intake system from the valve and crank vents and its leaking out. All these cars need an air oil separator no matter what! Get one and keep oil out of there.
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
424wrx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 171948
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: new york
Vehicle:
2008 vf52wrx12.6@108
11 forester,14 legacy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
As stated dealer won't fix it because they can't.

OP youve been told already how to fix it! Listen to Xluben. I'd say him and i have more underhood time on these than anyone so listen. Also oil shouldn't be there on your air pump hose. Not sure why or where it's coming from look into it further. If it is your IC hose then you're dumping oil into the intake system from the valve and crank vents. All these cars need an air oil separator no matter what! Get one and keep oil out of there.
this guy knows. i had oil issues major in my perrin tmic. bought and installed a grimmspeed aos. no more oil in the tmic. also, the endcaps are a must like theyve said.
424wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
matigas_TT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322775
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: SNJ
Vehicle:
2012 WRX-4Dr
SWP

Default

Got my car from the dealership yesterday, everything is back to normal now, no more loud whistle and popping on exhaust.

So this is what's written on the service paper

1. Check for oil leak found on intake cooler
2. Check PCV Line found PCV clogged

Work Performed

Installed 11810AA120: Valve Comol Cont
Replace PCV Valve

Perform ECM Reprogramming Per WQC39 Bulletin Code 145583CK with no Reprogram B14558 UPV48 .3CK

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
There are aftermarket hoses for that location, but you do not need one. You just need to remove the pieces of rubber from both ends of that hose. With those on it leaks at stock boost (as you've seen). With them off my car does double the stock boost and it holds fine.
When the temps get lower in NJ I will do this, thanks for the recommendation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyPitbull View Post
You are afraid to remove the IC hose rubber thingy, but are willing to bolt in an aftermarket hose?

If your stock, then do not waste money on a new hose ... simply remove the rubber cap things and never worry about it again. However, if you are terribly worried about the dealership, then yes there are aftermarket hoses available.
I'll just use the OEM hoses they shouldn't be cheap to buy just in case

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoorex View Post
the nameless is a complete muffler delete, not an exhaust system. I have it too on my car and yes it pops and grumbles. If you dont like it you probably should have got a muffler. I love it.
It doens't pop anymore after the fix but still grumbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoscoobiedoo View Post
Plus one for nameless I have a complete cbe from them with a invidia probably te loudest Subaru on the west coast lol
How much was it ? Noticeable power increase ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 424wrx View Post
this doesnt seem like alot of problems as your title states. you are under warranty. see what the dealer says.
I know.. My mistake probably my frustration, I'll change the title

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
As stated dealer won't fix it because they can't.

OP youve been told already how to fix it! Listen to Xluben. I'd say him and i have more underhood time on these than anyone so listen. Also oil shouldn't be there on your air pump hose. Not sure why or where it's coming from. look into it further. If it is your IC hose then you're dumping oil into the intake system from the valve and crank vents and its leaking out. All these cars need an air oil separator no matter what! Get one and keep oil out of there.
Yes I will follow the fix and thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 424wrx View Post
this guy knows. i had oil issues major in my perrin tmic. bought and installed a grimmspeed aos. no more oil in the tmic. also, the endcaps are a must like theyve said.
Yup next on my list when the weather becomes better




THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSE!!!
matigas_TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.