Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
astoak05wrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 314447
Vehicle:
2005 wrx
silver

Impreza WRX 12 sti block with 05 wrx heads

I've just recently acuired a 2012 sti short block and i have an 2005 wrx and plan on building it with the sti block and wrx heads. I was just throughing this out there to see if there are any opinions on what to get (crank, bearings, rods, pistons, etc.) that would be great for this build. Also to see if anybody has anything available that there selling. Also looking to build a strong engine that can take more boost but doesnt need to be crazy amount of horsepower.

thanks!!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
astoak05wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Prendatram
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 214658
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2005 Wrx wagon
WRB

I will save you a flaming. Search bar and research more.

Also tell us your power goals. Like whp.
What you plan to use your car for
Budget helps

Also look into cnc matching heads on the wrx to match the sti so you dont have detonation and compression issues. Or risk blowing head gaskets.

Asf machine and efi logics are know to do good work.

Next you need to identify power goals so we can help you determine what parts you need for your goals and type of driving. Cause you could use mahle pistons in the 4032 alloy for quiet starts and about 450hp limit. Or you could go with some je or cp pistons that can handle over 600

Let me know if I can help. Trust me all I do is read and read and oh yeah read more bout parts and power limits on parts. It will get you further if you research and collect your thoughts better for us to help you.

Prendatram (sean)

P.s. stuff for sale is in classfieds not here. So keep it classifieds
Prendatram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
astoak05wrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 wrx
silver

Well for right now im stuck with a stock wrx trany so i think that only takes arouns 300-350 whp so for now Im sticking around there. And money from what i researched so far it seems to be around $1500-2000 but i will be willing to do more if its needed to not screw myself in the long run1

thanks man any info will help.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
tja1618
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 181995
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
WRB

So what is the condition of the shortblock? Does it need to be rebuilt? If not some forged pistons and chamber matching the 2.0L heads is a place to start.
tja1618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
astoak05wrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 wrx
silver

The reason why i got the short block is because it previously spun a bearing so i will have to split it and get it machined. Then ill need crank, bearings and rods and pistons
but because of that i can have more selection cause im starting from scratch.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Prendatram
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 214658
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2005 Wrx wagon
WRB

crank and rods possibly could be resurfaced but ask your machinist. Also tranny is good up to that but there are people that go above that. just dont shift WOT everytime and dont slam gears. they are strong just ppl abuse them. its the side shock load I believe is what kills them.

But if u worried about tranny I would just rebuild everything stock just drop some 4032 alloy pistons in like mahle. they are stronger than stock and cause of the alloy will be quieter on cold days and because they are lower expansion then 2618 then they will have tighter ptw clearances resulting in less blowby/oil consumption.

also only other thing to do is get some upgraded bearings and possibly get some ARP rod bolts to help strengthen up the stock rods. that is the weak point on the stock rods.
Prendatram is offline   Reply With Quote