Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
luciferMotorCade
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 253611
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2004 GeNOME
WRB

Lightbulb back yard mechanics

This threadis is about a brake problem.
So my girlfriends grandmother let some back yard mechnic do her brakes and now the left front caliper is stuck. The car is a 1991 legacy ls wagon 5 speed with abs. Only mod to the car is wrx struts. I bled the system at the caliper and the abs block. What I am thinking is the hill holder solenoid/ hill holder cable may be the issue. Does the hill hold assit lock one wheel or something like that. I am going to replace the rubber brake lines incase they might be the issue. Allot of what I have found while searching was just air in the lines. Any ideas on what could be the issue. Or has anybody had a similar issue? Thanks guys. Kyle
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by luciferMotorCade; 01-20-2013 at 11:21 PM.
luciferMotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
vz134
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 170813
Vehicle:
1999 Impreza L
98 LGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciferMotorCade View Post
So my girlfriends grandmother let some back yard mechnic do her brakes and now the left front caliper is stuck. The car is a 1991 legacy ls wagon 5 speed with abs. Only mod to the car is wrx struts. I bled the system at the caliper and the abs block. What I am thinking is the hill holder solenoid/ hill holder cable may be the issue. Does the hill hold assit lock one wheel or something like that. I am going to replace the rubber brake lines incase they might be the issue. Allot of what I have found while searching was just air in the lines. Any ideas on what could be the issue. Or has anybody had a similar issue? Thanks guys. Kyle
I had a rear caliper get stuck on me, wouldnt even go in with pliers. I just bought a used one, only like 20 bucks.
vz134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
luciferMotorCade
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 GeNOME
WRB

New calipers ,rotors and pads up front.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

I thought this thread was going to be about working on your own car at home. Instead it's about a brake problem. Misleading subject lines don't give a thread the exposure it could get with a proper subject line.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
luciferMotorCade
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 GeNOME
WRB

Thanks for that. I did screw the pooch on the title. Also have been searching for schematics of the hill holder but havent been able to find a good source.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

I have the Haynes Manual for the 1st and 2nd gen Legacys. I have no experience with the hill holder, since my car doesn't have it, but per the manual I don't think it could be your problem. The manual says the hill holder connectors directly to the master cylinder, so if it was the hill holder getting stuck, it would (I believe) affect all 4 corners.

To rule it out completely, you could just disconnect it. The final step in the adjustment section says, "If the brakes will not release your vehicle at all, check the hill holder return spring. If it is broken, replace the hill holder mechanism immediately. You can get the vehicle home by removing the hill holder cable adjusting nuts, disconnecting the cable from the clutch release lever and manually retracting the hill holder valve lever until the brakes are released."

Have you inspected the brake hard lines? Maybe the mechanic somehow kinked the line to the front left corner? Can you get fluid out of the bleeder on that corner if you pump the pedal?
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
luciferMotorCade
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 GeNOME
WRB

First. I checked all lines made sure that they looked good. Then I bled all corners and the abs block. I did not see any kinks or anything. The hill hold cable does not have a spring on it and the adjusting nut for it I think has seen better days. fluid does come out or the front left bleeder valve. the valve for the hill holder is under the mc. I moved the hill holder valve and the caliper unlocked. I am going to get a new cable and see if it comes with a return spring possibly the hill holder mech also.. The car drives fine until you stop on a hill then I had to move the valve by hand. I am thinking this is my problem well grandmas problem. thanks for your info I will write back when I fix this. Kyle
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
harringtonj88
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 345177
Default Hill holder issues

I was driving down the road in rush hour a few days ago and my brakes locked up. It was indeed the hill holder. I just turned the hill holder valve open and dissconnected the cable. I can't find the valve for sale so I'd like to find out where I could get one. It sounds like your car just has a locked up caliper though.
harringtonj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
luciferMotorCade
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 GeNOME
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by harringtonj88 View Post
I was driving down the road in rush hour a few days ago and my brakes locked up. It was indeed the hill holder. I just turned the hill holder valve open and dissconnected the cable. I can't find the valve for sale so I'd like to find out where I could get one. It sounds like your car just has a locked up caliper though.
I took the cable out . the cable was the issue. it wasnt returning properly. the valve would not fully open causing the front left caliper to not release. Ill get you the subaru part number from my email later today. the valve is around 190 ish from sgp. and the cable is 16.99. grandma doesnt drive much so the hill assist is not practical to fix for her. problem solved.