Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
tmburke
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 342345
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch VF-52
SSM

Question Anyone try the Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Yet? (Not the 8-PT!)

Here's the 8-PT- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT...PT.html?tp=114

And the new (I guess?) 8-PTD- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT...TD.html?tp=114

Looks like the 8-PTD has a 'built-in Class D amplifier (125 watts RMS)' while the 8-PT 'built-in amplifier (120 watts RMS)', I'm guessing it's just a new amp.

No reviews on the 8-PTD yet. Any try it? Looking for a clear sub that'll fit under one of the seats, power isn't my biggest concern
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
tmburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
tmburke
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch VF-52
SSM

Anyone?
Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 AM   #3
gambera
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 305167
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

I have the 8PT and it's as good as it gets. From what I see, save yourself money and don't go for 8PTD. Personally, it dont make sense to buy barely modified powered sub. But i dont know your reasons.
gambera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
ggunsch
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 348814
Vehicle:
2013 Crosstrek XV
Metallic Dark Gray

I just installed the 8-PTD tonight in a Crosstrek. What would you like to know?

It fits perfectly under the passenger seat. It is actually tight, but once you nurse it down and in the recess, it has nice clearance from the seat rails. You don't have to take it out to adjust the controls - they are accessible by kneeling next to the car.

I grabbed power from the "cigarette lighter" connector in the rear of the center console. Just removed the two console mounting bolts and reached up to disconnect the harness. Didn't have to remove the whole console. Since the sub has a 15A fuse and the power outlet is fused at 20A, i decided I didn't need to run a dedicated power line. Simply tapped the power wire, and plugged it back into the outlet. Ground is to the seat rail anchor bolt.

I also ran the cord for the volume control ("remote level") up into the center console and attached the control to the side just above the USB/Aux ports. All wires are under the carpet. The audio input wires are tucked up under the console and are spliced into the HU speaker outputs. I also added crossover capacitors (Crutchfield's "bass blockers") to the front and rear door speaker lines to ease the low bass going to the smaller speakers.

I JUST finished installing the sub, so I have no long-term experiences to share. So far, so good though. Between the HU's equalizer and the sub's boost, I'm getting good sound on everything from classics (Hotel California) to dubstep, and - of course - Radar Love.
ggunsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
tmburke
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch VF-52
SSM

Ideally I was looking for someone who had both the 8-PT and 8-PTD to compare. Hope you're enjoying your new sub!
Old 07-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
wrxhatch13
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 360843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 2013 WRX 5 door
WRB

Are there any downsides to tapping into the cigarette lighter in the console?

I have a 2013 wrx and looking to get this installed, what speaker wires did you tap into the front or rears? I assume you using a OEM head unit?
wrxhatch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
GreyFixer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 332965
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxhatch13 View Post
Are there any downsides to tapping into the cigarette lighter in the console?

I have a 2013 wrx and looking to get this installed, what speaker wires did you tap into the front or rears? I assume you using a OEM head unit?
The downside is that the lighter power wire is too small to allow adequate current flow to the amplifier. A dedicated line from the battery really should be ran.

Instructions here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2436622
GreyFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
wrxhatch13
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 360843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 2013 WRX 5 door
WRB

My question is if I use a amp kit what should I be tapping into form the remote turn on? I didn't buy a harness from svxcd. I'm pretty handy and have installed few systems before. Also do you have any insight on using the front or rear speakers for high level input? I will be turning the eq off and running it in through mode.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated
wrxhatch13 is offline   Reply With Quote