Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #176
tcoffin014
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 173734
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Sexy White Princess

Timurs usb rom will add volume, pause, and track up buttons right next to the stock buttons on the bottom
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
tcoffin014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:26 AM   #177
thurfirhawat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 381855
Default Fully Integrate Phone

I love the build. I am thinking of using both the parrot and the Sony MEX-GS600BT. The Sony will be connected via bluetooth to the Nexus and the Nexus will control the Sony radio. The Sony will also be wire connected to the Parrot. The Parrot will handle the hands free phone calls.
thurfirhawat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:18 AM   #178
tcoffin014
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 173734
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Sexy White Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurfirhawat View Post
I love the build. I am thinking of using both the parrot and the Sony MEX-GS600BT. The Sony will be connected via bluetooth to the Nexus and the Nexus will control the Sony radio. The Sony will also be wire connected to the Parrot. The Parrot will handle the hands free phone calls.
Why a parrot and bluetooth radio? Parrot can play bt audio and it has an aux input
tcoffin014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #179
Mitus
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 382610
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza WRX STI
WR Blue

-How do you get the signal for using navigation on the tablet? do you transmit wifi off your cell phone?

-Also, do you retain the functionality of all the buttons on your steering wheel?

Thank you,
Mitus
2014 WRX STI (WR Blue)
Mitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #180
S1000RR
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 377017
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatchback
Ice Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitus View Post
-How do you get the signal for using navigation on the tablet? do you transmit wifi off your cell phone?

-Also, do you retain the functionality of all the buttons on your steering wheel?

Thank you,
Mitus
2014 WRX STI (WR Blue)
Google Joycon. Also, view this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2113259

There is an awful lot to consider when thinking about installing a Nexus 7 in your dash - the least of which is making it fit and look good. You'll need a special kernel that handles power on/off; a custom launcher; programming tasker; hooking up a backup cam if applicable; mandatory use of a power amplifier; selection of DAC or analog output; etc., etc.

Most of this makes considering a Parrot Asteroid or Chinese Android in-dash very appealing. Though, there are complications involved when going down this path too.
S1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #181
awenthol
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 355024
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 DGM STi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitus View Post

Thank you,
Mitus
2014 WRX STI (WR Blue)
In Google Maps, "ok maps" will cache the area on your screen, allowing maps w/out data. Or, there are other apps that will plug in cached data.

But yes, ideally you would either have data on the Nexus or WiFi tether to it, from your phone.

Use the factory radio and retain all steering wheel functionality w/out the need for steering wheel control adapters, etc.
awenthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #182
CorEnFa
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 381468
Vehicle:
2014 WRX
SWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1000RR View Post
Google Joycon. Also, view this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2113259

There is an awful lot to consider when thinking about installing a Nexus 7 in your dash - the least of which is making it fit and look good. You'll need a special kernel that handles power on/off; a custom launcher; programming tasker; hooking up a backup cam if applicable; mandatory use of a power amplifier; selection of DAC or analog output; etc., etc.

Most of this makes considering a Parrot Asteroid or Chinese Android in-dash very appealing. Though, there are complications involved when going down this path too.
Not so much.

The installation I've been doing with a Nexus 7 has been very painless. I'm using a stock (not-rooted) Nexus 7 with Macro Droid as my rules-based controller.

When I get in and turn on the car, the tablet turns on, enables GPS and WiFi, looks for my phone, and links the phone dialing/controlling to my phone. When I turn it off, my tablet disables all functions and can sit that way without a charge for weeks without fully draining (speculating since I've not had to do that).

The fitment wasn't that hard. In fact, using the stock head unit brackets and a couple pieces of aluminum bracket from lowes ($2.49) and a cheap hard-shell case, the tablet easily mounts in place.

In all, I've spent maybe 4 hours on the install including configuring apps and running wires. I got rid of the factory head unit since it pretty much sucks and put in a 5 channel Alpine amp that controls the door speakers and a sub.

The *only* things I'm missing are - steering wheel controls (not important to me - but easily added back if I want them) and back-up camera (numerous solutions available, but again, not that important to me). If I want either of those two functions, there are numerous options available and they can be added anytime I wish.

However, with the installation I have, I have:
1 - All FM, streaming, satellite, etc. that I could want
2 - A choice of mapping applications (Google Maps for detailed street view and doing my own routing; Waze for nav and general traffic alerts, TomTom for cached mapping)
3 - Engine diagnostics and reporting (OBD2)
4 - A non-restricted UI
5 - Real time widgets for weather, traffic, or anything else
6 - Complete control over my phone's functionality from in the dash (using tablet talk)

And it sounds friggin sweet.

Sure, the Parrot system is an easier direct integration, but you lose all of the customizability and get an underpowered tablet that is by all accounts, buggy.
CorEnFa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #183
S1000RR
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 377017
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatchback
Ice Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorEnFa View Post
Not so much...

Sure, the Parrot system is an easier direct integration, but you lose all of the customizability and get an underpowered tablet that is by all accounts, buggy.
I'm in the same boat trying to decide what to do. The Parrot can be rooted and the Google Play framework can easily be installed. The problem with the Parrot is that it's running a very old version of Android and I fear that a hardware update to the unit is imminent.

There are also a lot of success stories with the generic "AN-21" Chinese in-dash units but the only support for them is user-based (on XDA).

Personally, I think using the stock radio with a Nexus 7 mounted in front of it is a hack. I applaud you for your efforts and hope to have something with similar functionality in my own vehicle soon.
S1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #184
phatjames167
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 385966

Does your car have amp? Im trying to do this on a civic, and ive fot the parrot and the quick connect but haven't been able to get it to work unless the quick connect os in the radio.
phatjames167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #185
rhinis23
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 167544
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
'12 DGM STi sedan
'10 FXT Ltd for the lady

subscribed! I have a massive amount of interest in this. Now to start reading from the beginning
rhinis23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #186
Toadfart
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 256324

I have a Nexus 7 rooted with Timur's rom preloaded. $125 shipped if anyone is interested.
Toadfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #187
rhinis23
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
'12 DGM STi sedan
'10 FXT Ltd for the lady

Nexus 7 procured. And it begins...
Old 04-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #188
G-Sep
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 346983
Vehicle:
2013 13 WRB rolling
on oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinis23 View Post
Nexus 7 procured. And it begins...
I got one too last week. Waiting to pick up a single din headunit and some cables and we are good to go!
G-Sep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #189
rhinis23
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
'12 DGM STi sedan
'10 FXT Ltd for the lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sep View Post
I got one too last week. Waiting to pick up a single din headunit and some cables and we are good to go!
nice! let me know what you end up using. i havent started looking into that stuff really, just got the Nexus thinking it will force me to keep going.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #190
nfisheremti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 69459
Vehicle:
2014 2.0 hatch
pearl white

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorEnFa View Post
Not so much.

The installation I've been doing with a Nexus 7 has been very painless. I'm using a stock (not-rooted) Nexus 7 with Macro Droid as my rules-based controller.

When I get in and turn on the car, the tablet turns on, enables GPS and WiFi, looks for my phone, and links the phone dialing/controlling to my phone. When I turn it off, my tablet disables all functions and can sit that way without a charge for weeks without fully draining (speculating since I've not had to do that).

The fitment wasn't that hard. In fact, using the stock head unit brackets and a couple pieces of aluminum bracket from lowes ($2.49) and a cheap hard-shell case, the tablet easily mounts in place.

In all, I've spent maybe 4 hours on the install including configuring apps and running wires. I got rid of the factory head unit since it pretty much sucks and put in a 5 channel Alpine amp that controls the door speakers and a sub.

The *only* things I'm missing are - steering wheel controls (not important to me - but easily added back if I want them) and back-up camera (numerous solutions available, but again, not that important to me). If I want either of those two functions, there are numerous options available and they can be added anytime I wish.

However, with the installation I have, I have:
1 - All FM, streaming, satellite, etc. that I could want
2 - A choice of mapping applications (Google Maps for detailed street view and doing my own routing; Waze for nav and general traffic alerts, TomTom for cached mapping)
3 - Engine diagnostics and reporting (OBD2)
4 - A non-restricted UI
5 - Real time widgets for weather, traffic, or anything else
6 - Complete control over my phone's functionality from in the dash (using tablet talk)

And it sounds friggin sweet.
that does sound friggin sweet. do you have a build thread? if not can you make one? (and post a link?)
nfisheremti is offline   Reply With Quote