Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 11, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
Jinner
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 343757
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2005 STi
Silver

Recently, I'm pretty sure that i was a victim of ring lands... 2005 STi with 120,xxx miles girlfriend was driving, she gets back to the house and the car was running weak with the signature sound of broken rings. Guess which cylinder it was? You got it #4. So what are my options here? Rebuild with forged pistons or buy a crate from somewhere/body and drop it in? What kind of price tags am i looking at? She has been eating oil and i noticed smoke coming out of the oil fill.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Jinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
the suicidal eggroll
Scooby Guru

Member#: 51961
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinner View Post
car was running weak with the signature sound of broken rings.
What "signature sound"? Broken ringlands are silent, there is no sound outside of the ordinary. How do you know something is wrong with #4?

If you did indeed pop a ringland, you already listed the two options: rebuild or buy a replacement short block. Rebuilding will always be cheaper if you do the work yourself, if you farm the labor out then it depends. What is your question?
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
Jinner
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STi
Silver

Well im a bolt on kind of guy, mechanics arent my thing and im aware of that. Basicly how i know its number 4 is i dc'd the spark for that cylinder and it went away. Basically it sounds kinda like a combo of valve tap and piston slap coming from the driver side head half. My main question is, is it worth rebuilding after labor and everything else, or should i ship somebody my core for trade in or have a shop rebuild it?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
the suicidal eggroll
Scooby Guru

Member#: 51961
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Quote:
Basicly how i know its number 4 is i dc'd the spark for that cylinder and it went away.
You what?

Quote:
Basically it sounds kinda like a combo of valve tap and piston slap coming from the driver side head half.
That doesn't sound like a cracked ringland...

Quote:
My main question is, is it worth rebuilding after labor and everything else, or should i ship somebody my core for trade in or have a shop rebuild it?
It all depends on labor rates. You'll have to get some quotes for your area. In parts alone, you can get a set of pistons for $400, rods for $400, bearings for $100, and bore/hone for $150...or you can get a pre-build shortblock for $2000. Obviously it's cheaper to rebuild, it just depends on how much of it you do yourself versus how much you farm out. You're the only one who knows what you're capable of doing yourself, so start calling some local shops and ask what they'll charge to do the rest.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
Jinner
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STi
Silver

I disconnected the spark plug for #4 so it was no longer firing. Everything cleared up for the most cause except for the slightly rough idle(its running on 3 cylinders). After more thought im thinking it might be the head half if it isnt that then i have no idea... i am just troubleshooting from a logical standpoint(or what i think is a logical standpoint). I am just really confused and looking for answers. I owned this car for about 4 months after buying it off one of my gunny's, starting to look like i got a bum deal. Its making a metallic clacking sound if that helps.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
wrx1392
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 342331
Vehicle:
2003 wrx
blue

my wife just crushed 2 pistons on my 2003 wrx ...if i was to do it all again i would just buy a short block .if you dont have much experience with these motors ,nows not the time to learn. i spent a ton of money ,and had rods fail 400 mile after the new forged pistons were installed . i found what cause it but the fix was a new crank,sti rods cosworth size 0 main bearings and acl rod bearings. new oil pump and oil cooler and a new pan. what a mess .it is hard to get the main bearing clearance set up right on a used block .the +.001 cosworth mains just barley got me in spec. you need costly mics too to measure all this . i've built a lot of engines in my day and i have never had the proplems i've had with this build . i now call this motor "scar" we'll see if i fixed it ,i dont have it running yet . do your self a favor buy a shrot block. what kind of boost were you running ? my wife pulled a hill in 5th with four ladies in the car ...yacking and did not here the pinging untill it was too late ,i had a manual boost controler so that is my fault. the stock boost controler would never have let the car do this to it's self.
wrx1392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
Jinner
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STi
Silver

The car is fully stock other than a intake and exhaust. So stock pressure.