Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 14, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
abrosk927
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 387507
Default 2014 Factory sub help

Hey guys hopefully im not asking a question that has already been answered but i couldn't seem to find it anywhere.

The question is about a 2014 wrx w/o nav...i want to add a sub setup that i have from my old car. Im really good with car audio so no questions regarding that but i am new to the subie gang and im wondering on the factory headunit how I'd be able to get a signal for my amp for the subs. Is there something in the trunk that the factory unit would plug into

Any help would be appreciated
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
abrosk927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
ramiec
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 393994
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Crystal White Pearl

Don't know the specifics of the 2014 HU, but I'll take a stab at answering based on my general idea.

Turn off the stock HU's "loudness" in the secret menu, and tap into the speaker wires with the following options:

Option 1 - Get an amp with the following characteristics:
a) has high input so you can send your speaker signals to the amp.
b) has a channel with a low-pass crossover (usually a mono amp, or 5 channel amp, or bridgeable 2 or 4/3/2 channel)

Option 2 - Get a line output converter that will accept your speaker signals, and convert them into clean RCA signals (6 channels of RCA, which include a subwoofer out), then plug those into an amp.

I'm pretty sure the OEM head unit does not have a factory sub output since you didn't get the upgraded system, and even if it did, you'd find better sound quality for your money in the aftermarket. My personal preference is to just change out the head unit, but I can see why many people would want to keep the stock HU.
ramiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
RelevantName
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 349654
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2013 PBP WRX 4dr
Mach V Stage 2

The optional kicker sub that goes in the trunk comes with a harness that must be run/installed from the head unit to the sub underneath the trim panels along the drivers side of the car.
RelevantName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
abrosk927
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 387507

What would my option be for keeping the stock headunit, is there a wiring harness i can get?
abrosk927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
lewisd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 115287
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2014 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrosk927 View Post
What would my option be for keeping the stock headunit, is there a wiring harness i can get?
I'm really interested in exactly the same thing. I pick up a nearly stock 2014 WRX wagon on Saturday, and I want to install a bazooka tube (sub with built-in amp) in the trunk. I'd love to tap into the same output of the factory deck that the factory sub uses. Is there an aftermarket wiring harness for that? Or lacking that, information on the pinout so I can build my own harness?
lewisd is offline   Reply With Quote