Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
jadawgis732
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 208409
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Sedan
WRB

Default Low End Fill Advice

So I've finished upgrading my headunit and door speakers. Now, I'm looking to fill in the low end and I don't want to break the bank.

Products Installed:
Kenwood DNX571HDKenwood DNX571HD

HDE336 Backup CameraHDE336 Backup Camera

Metra ASWC-1Metra ASWC-1

Pioneer TS-A1675 6.5" 3-WayPioneer TS-A1675 6.5" 3-Way
(Front)
Pioneer TS-G1644 6.5" 2-WayPioneer TS-G1644 6.5" 2-Way
(Rear)

I have had 2 10's in my last Subee, and 2 12's in my Jeep (and a different lifetime), but I'm older now, more...refined I'm thinking a single 10" should be plenty. I don't want to piss people off at red lights, but I do want a little of the wow factor I remember so dearly, while keeping the OEM look. I'd prefer not to cut into my trunk space much either.

I'm considering:
Infinity BasslinkInfinity Basslink

Blaupunkt Blue Magic XLb 250Blaupunkt Blue Magic XLb 250

Rockford Fosgate P300-10Rockford Fosgate P300-10

Sound Ordinance B-8PTDSound Ordinance B-8PTD

Ideally, I'd like to get the custom kick panel for the driver side of the trunk, but they're $350 alone. Add a 10" sub, an amp, and wiring, maybe a professional install (don't like the idea of routing wire through the firewall myself) and that's getting north of $750. I'd prefer to be able to do it all for < $500. Any advice?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by jadawgis732; 04-20-2014 at 03:27 PM.
jadawgis732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
El Wray
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 303030
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2009 STI
DGM

AI box, Type R, lowly sub amp. Done.
El Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
jadawgis732
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Sedan
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Wray View Post
AI box, Type R, lowly sub amp. Done.
The enclosure alone is $330 without shipping.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
El Wray
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 STI
DGM

Closest to OEM you are going to get without going OEM.

Other reasons for the recommendation:
* Will use less space than just about all aside from that 8 that you have listed. (It's molded to the wall, will use less floor space.) ((PSS - You've had 10s/12s, I seriously doubt you'd be happy with an 8.))
* Will give you that "wow" factor.
* Will let you stay conservative or go big. (None of the options will let you do that.)
* Will sound better than all of the above + give the flexibility of cheaply swapping things out if you aren't happy with the setup.

Last edited by El Wray; 04-20-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
El Wray
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 STI
DGM

also, if you have a hatch: www.subthump.com.

Last edited by El Wray; 04-20-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
jadawgis732
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Sedan
WRB

It's a sedan. Still, I think I like the idea of the AI enclosure. I just can't see how I'd retain access to my spare compartment without cutting the matting. Plus, where do I mount the amp?
Old 04-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
El Wray
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 STI
DGM

If you go with a compact class D, it opens up possibilities and can pretty much go anywhere. Under one of the front seats or cutting up one of the foam surrounds around the spare are a few stealth options.

With the AI you should have access to the spare compartment without any problems. Not positive about the sedan, but the hatch false floor is a 3-way fold that lets you access the spare from the passenger side.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
jadawgis732
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Sedan
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Wray View Post
If you go with a compact class D, it opens up possibilities and can pretty much go anywhere. Under one of the front seats or cutting up one of the foam surrounds around the spare are a few stealth options.

With the AI you should have access to the spare compartment without any problems. Not positive about the sedan, but the hatch false floor is a 3-way fold that lets you access the spare from the passenger side.
Okay, so after looking at these reviews for way too long I've decided I'll forgo the idea of a powered loaded subwoofer. They just have too high of a failure rate, from what I've seen. I want to be able to diagnose the issue if something goes wrong. Having both the amp and the sub in the same unit makes that impossible. If I were to go that route I'd probably opt for the MTX ThunderLink or the Infinity Basslink.

I also cannot, in good faith, spend $330 for the enclosure. Pretty as it might be, I'm just not spending that much money before I even get to the audio stuff.

Instead I'll go for the
Pioneer TS-SWX251Pioneer TS-SWX251
and power it a
Boss Audio T11100MBoss Audio T11100M

Last edited by jadawgis732; 04-20-2014 at 10:16 PM.