Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
blackpearl2.5
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 116923
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
02 02WRX wagon WRB
04 2.5RS JBP

Default 02 wrx stereo problem

hey all, been awhile since ive been on here, sooo, i just picked up an 02 bugeye wrx wagon, has a kenwood ddx7015 stereo installed and it works untill i hit a bump then it loses all power and shuts off and stays off. i can pull the radio fuse in the cabin and it does nothing, then i pull the clock/cabin fuse under the hood and when i start the car the stereo works again untill i hit a decent bump then it shuts off again... wtf!!! i checked the wiring to the stereo and all looks good. nice and clean install job.. im stumped on this one . i wanna install my subs and amp but wanna figure out why the stereo is doing this before i do. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
blackpearl2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
OW79
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 292792
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza RS

Hi blackpearl, I am not a car stereo expert (although I've installed some) nor am I a Kenwood expert, but I am an electronics professional (technologist) so I know a thing or two about electronics. My guess is, being a two or three year old radio (I assume this because you most certainly did not just install this radio in a used car you just bought), the contacts inside the unit are defective. The (wave) soldering they do in electronics is so skimpy on sodler sometimes, you wonder how it can withstand any kind of shock.
Furthermore, my friend had a Kenwood radio, and only after a couple of years, he had a similar problem to your radio. Sure enough when I opened it up, the power/output connector was loose on every pin. Lucky for him, the sodler pads were not lifted (meaning the copper had not delaminated from the PCB) and I was able to simply resolder all the pads. the radio worked fine afterwards.
It very well could be that you have this problem in your radio.
Just open it up and look at those connections. If you can "jiggle" the connector and see the pins moving in the solder, well, you have your answer... You'll need to be technically competent to solder these back on.
You might want to use Lead-free solder as I am sure that all these consumer electroncis companies have went lead-free since about six years or so.

You can post back here with pictures if you like, I can help you determine exactly what you're looking at.

By the way, I thought the bug-eye Subarus started in 2003?

OW
OW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Guzzi 1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338666
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Premium
Dark Grey Metalic CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OW79 View Post
<snip>

By the way, I thought the bug-eye Subarus started in 2003?

OW
Nope, '02.

John
Guzzi 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
05 GTO/11 Sonata(!)

The wiring may "look" good but there could still be a bad connection. Do a "wiggle test" with the harness to try and duplicate the problem. Tap on the radio and smack the console around it, see if it flakes out. If the problem does turn out to be internal in the radio there isn't much you can do and it will have to be replaced, but before you take that step you want to confirm that it isn't a simple wiring issue.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
blackpearl2.5
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
02 02WRX wagon WRB
04 2.5RS JBP

Thanks for the replies, I pulled the stereo last night, checked all the wires closely and the only thing I could find was the front driver side speaker wire wasn't connected, so I re attached it. Then I attempted to take it apart but couldn't get down past the cd/dvd player.. Damn double dins lol.. So I put it back together and put it back in the car. It works now but only time will tell if it shuts off again.. Might just have to buy a new one, and I haven't even tried the dvd player yet.. Smh..
Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
surchk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 333968
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
MPB

just a thought, ive got a ddx318 (lower end doubledin compared to the excelons) I had it in my 2004 4runner, every once in awhile if I hit a big enough bump it would cut off and I couldnt for the life of me figure out why. After i bought my 02 wrx and installed it i NEVER had the issue again with that unit.

Fuses and everything else was good, i had to reset the cars power by turning the key to the right, which you can do in that generation 4runner (if you turn the key again in the wrx if the cars already running i believe the starter would engage)

The only thing that changed was that I removed the bypass relay (which allows you to have dvds play while the car is in drive, i had that setup so my little cousins can watch their movies if we went on long drive in the lcds i had in the back). I check out the relay turns out it was faulty AND some some of the wires werent connected properly (to the 4runner harness). Maybe if there was a bypass wired up that could be your problem?
surchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
blackpearl2.5
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
02 02WRX wagon WRB
04 2.5RS JBP

could be... so far its been working fine since i pulled it out and messed with it.. ive been hitting all kinds of bumps i can find, smacked the dash around a bit lol, still working. figures as soon as i convinced the wife i needed a new one the damn thing works perfect.. lol. might gete a new one anyway because i want one with bluetooth so i can listen to my phone on it and use the gps for nav.