Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 25, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Jb2.5rstst
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 330553
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2005 subaru 2.5 rs
silver

Default Starting PROBLEM

So over the last few days I changed the headgasket on my 05 2.5rs. Pretty smooth process. Though it was really cold in the shop 😞. Once everything was back together I tried to start the car and nothing. So I took a battery booster and used it and it started. Since it was around 4am in the morning and the car was throwing out a lot of smoke I turned it off and came back the next day.

Next day I started it and it started right away. Left the car running for about 15-20 min till it was finished smoking and ran normal. I then saw I had a CEL. So I turned off the car to check it. It was P0132, my o3 sensor. Since the car was smoking a lot I figured maybe it was a false reading. So I erased the code. I then went to start the car and nothing. Just a click from the starter.

I tried using the booster again and nothing...I tapped the starter ad it would click . I changed the starter thinking it was bad and same result. When I tapped the new starter I got a click again. I checked the voltage of the battery and it said 12.50. As far as I know that good.

Since the battery was out and it's been below freezing could the temp have affected it? Is it the cold cranking amps low?

I checked the terminals on the battery and made sure the starter ground was connected.

Are there any fuses or relays I'm missing ( I checked the fuses already and all looked good)

Any ideas or help is appreciated . I have the battery charging for a few hours now just in case... Will check it again later. What else could it be that's not starting.
Jb2.5rstst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Buck Rogers
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 139234
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
05NA Lifted Baja MT
Brilliant Silver

Have cold is it? We've had some -15 temps up here lately and my 05 2.5 fires up ( cranks over slowly though) this is with a seven year old battery ( I know, I'm pushing it) the fact that it's clicking means the starter is engaging ( if the clicking is coming from the starter) so its either not getting enough current, or something may be binding, could be a dirty connection or relay somewhere
Buck Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
Jb2.5rstst
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 subaru 2.5 rs
silver

At the beginning of the week when I started it was really cold...I think it was -16Celcius...I had a bottle of water on a shelf and it froze right up....

I cleaned the power connection to the starter...i guess I can add a second ground ....

What relay is there that would affect the starter...

It's just pissing me off cuz it was running fine.....
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Buck Rogers
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 139234
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
05NA Lifted Baja MT
Brilliant Silver

Usually if it is a relay, there will be no sound at all . Like trying to start a manual without pushing the clutch. Can you manually turn the engine? I'm at a loss , try posting in the electrical forums. It's most likely going to be something simple that's being overlooked. Good Luck
Buck Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Jb2.5rstst
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 subaru 2.5 rs
silver

Bump.....anyone else ..any ideas