Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
Kalvus5
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 332400
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
WRB

Default stage 1/2 problems with MBC?

Hey guys I'm looking to purchase an AP at some point. My car has a TurboXS MBC with a dual setup- 15 psi/17 psi. (I never really use 17 psi unless I'm showing it to my friends) I also have a PDE uppipe. My goal is to get an AP, then at some point down the line get a downpipe and go stage 2 ( catted downpipes are expensive!) When and if I go stage 1 or 2, does having a manual boost controller mess anything up? Will I have to take it off in order to go stage 1 or 2 or will I simply have to download and use another tune other than the stock stage 1/2 that comes with the AP? Also, while I'm asking this question, if I only want to go stage 1/2 should I get the v1 AP or the V2 accessport? I'm planning on getting it used and although on threads people say to get the V2, if I'm only gonna use it a couple times, is it worth the high price tag? thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Kalvus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
Shortpersonbk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319017
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
91 Miata
slow sti 6266 e-85

Default

the mbc will just cap the boost at what ever it is ...so if your stg 2 tune for the cobb ap is suppose to hit 19psi it will only hit 17 but if i remember right stg 2 is around 17 psi anyways
Shortpersonbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
Kalvus5
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 332400
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
WRB

Default

ok thanks and should I look for a V1 or is the V2 that much better in your opinion? I might just wait until one pops up for a good deal..
Kalvus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvus5 View Post
Hey guys I'm looking to purchase an AP at some point. My car has a TurboXS MBC with a dual setup- 15 psi/17 psi. (I never really use 17 psi unless I'm showing it to my friends) I also have a PDE uppipe. My goal is to get an AP, then at some point down the line get a downpipe and go stage 2 ( catted downpipes are expensive!) When and if I go stage 1 or 2, does having a manual boost controller mess anything up? Will I have to take it off in order to go stage 1 or 2 or will I simply have to download and use another tune other than the stock stage 1/2 that comes with the AP? Also, while I'm asking this question, if I only want to go stage 1/2 should I get the v1 AP or the V2 accessport? I'm planning on getting it used and although on threads people say to get the V2, if I'm only gonna use it a couple times, is it worth the high price tag? thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvus5 View Post
Hey guys I'm looking to purchase an AP at some point. My car has a TurboXS MBC with a dual setup- 15 psi/17 psi. (I never really use 17 psi unless I'm showing it to my friends) I also have a PDE uppipe. My goal is to get an AP, then at some point down the line get a downpipe and go stage 2 ( catted downpipes are expensive!) When and if I go stage 1 or 2, does having a manual boost controller mess anything up? Will I have to take it off in order to go stage 1 or 2 or will I simply have to download and use another tune other than the stock stage 1/2 that comes with the AP? Also, while I'm asking this question, if I only want to go stage 1/2 should I get the v1 AP or the V2 accessport? I'm planning on getting it used and although on threads people say to get the V2, if I'm only gonna use it a couple times, is it worth the high price tag? thanks.
Hi there. The MBC is not compatible with our off-the-shelf (OTS) tunes for the Accessport. Our maps require that the engine control unit (ECU) be in full control of boost. With an MBC, that is definitely not the case. Depending on how it is set up, the ECU would have no control and you can end up with high partial throttle boost, overboosting and other potential problems that the ECU would have no control over. An MBC is not a necessary mod - the ECU has no problems controlling boost.

You could get a custom tune for the Accessport that would potentially work in spite of the MBC. But, that is still not recommended. For safety/reliability reasons, you should really allow the ECU to control boost fully.

We would highly recommend the version 2 Accessport. You will gain many benefits, including data logging from the device itself (this is huge - very easy to get logs to make sure everything looks good as far as boost, knock, etc.), live gauge monitoring (for monitoring boost, etc. live on the device),
launch control feature, recent ground-up new maps for 02-05 WRX, free AccessTUNER Race self-tuning software, and more.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
Kalvus5
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 332400
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
Hi there. The MBC is not compatible with our off-the-shelf (OTS) tunes for the Accessport. Our maps require that the engine control unit (ECU) be in full control of boost. With an MBC, that is definitely not the case. Depending on how it is set up, the ECU would have no control and you can end up with high partial throttle boost, overboosting and other potential problems that the ECU would have no control over. An MBC is not a necessary mod - the ECU has no problems controlling boost.

You could get a custom tune for the Accessport that would potentially work in spite of the MBC. But, that is still not recommended. For safety/reliability reasons, you should really allow the ECU to control boost fully.

We would highly recommend the version 2 Accessport. You will gain many benefits, including data logging from the device itself (this is huge - very easy to get logs to make sure everything looks good as far as boost, knock, etc.), live gauge monitoring (for monitoring boost, etc. live on the device),
launch control feature, recent ground-up new maps for 02-05 WRX, free AccessTUNER Race self-tuning software, and more.

Bill
Thanks for the reply! The MBC came on the car so I'm not really sure what the procedure is to put it on or take it off. Does the engine simply go back to factory boost if it is taken off? or is it more tricky then that? Also one more question. If I were to get an accessport for my 02 WRX, then a few years down the line buy an sti, could I still use the same accessport if I unmarry it to the 02 and apply it to the sti? Thanks for the help.
Kalvus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvus5 View Post
Thanks for the reply! The MBC came on the car so I'm not really sure what the procedure is to put it on or take it off. Does the engine simply go back to factory boost if it is taken off? or is it more tricky then that? Also one more question. If I were to get an accessport for my 02 WRX, then a few years down the line buy an sti, could I still use the same accessport if I unmarry it to the 02 and apply it to the sti? Thanks for the help.
Yes, you will need to put it back to the factory set-up. You can get an idea of what that entails here:
http://www.cobbtuning.com/Technical-...es-s/70674.htm

If you have a local Subaru performance tuning shop, they should be able to easily do this for (obviously for a fee), although you may have to purchase a few parts (such as the length of hose with the restricter pill in it from dealer).

The version 2 Accessport for the 02-05 WRX (SUB-001) will only work with those cars. But there is a strong used market for version 2 Accessport, so you shouldn't have any problem selling it.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.