Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 25, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
Mikesubrs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243627
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York 845
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx Wag
Midnight Black Pearl

Default Newly painted and installed jdm scoop

So I have a 02 wrx wagon, mbp (black) and wanted to get more air to my hyperflow tmic. So I bought a 02-03 jdm sti larger good scoop.

Here it is before painted


It is a full inch bigger opening from oem. Oem is about an 1 1/4" opening and the jdm is 2 1/4" opening.

Here are some pic comparisons
Oem:




Jdm sti scoop:





Overall in very satisfied with the looks! But I think it was overly priced for a hood scoop.

I tried getting all the same angles
Thanks,
Mike
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Mikesubrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
hoffmanEstates
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 122043
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: aurora
Vehicle:
04 wagonier
psm

Default

Glad 04/07 made interchangeable scoops
hoffmanEstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:42 PM   #3
Mikesubrs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243627
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York 845
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx Wag
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmanEstates View Post
Glad 04/07 made interchangeable scoops
I considered getting that style but thought it was too aggressive looking for my application. I wanted a nice subtle nice look.
Mikesubrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:27 AM   #4
hoffmanEstates
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 122043
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: aurora
Vehicle:
04 wagonier
psm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesubrs View Post
I considered getting that style but thought it was too aggressive looking for my application. I wanted a nice subtle nice look.
I don't think 04+ scoops fit bugeye unless it's modified
hoffmanEstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:51 AM   #5
Mikesubrs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243627
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York 845
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx Wag
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Correct, but I have seen aftermarket ones that look like the 04+ that fit the bugeyes. But they were cheap looking
Mikesubrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
Samurai Jack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21145
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Not in my own time
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Default

Very nice. Been thinking about doing the same thing.

What brand scoop did you get? Is it OEM or an aftermarket?
Did you get it painted professionally?

I've seen aftermarket versions for ~ $165 and OEM for ~$230, and neither came w/the JDM splitter
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #7
Mikesubrs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243627
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York 845
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx Wag
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
Very nice. Been thinking about doing the same thing.

What brand scoop did you get? Is it OEM or an aftermarket?
Did you get it painted professionally?

I've seen aftermarket versions for ~ $165 and OEM for ~$230, and neither came w/the JDM splitter

Yes the oem version from rally sport direct. Didn't come with splitter. Yeah had it painted professionally to match my paint code. Although he didn't do a very good job. Had him paint my side mirrors as well which came out 10x worse than the scoop, won't even put them on my car. So will have to either get them redone at a good body shop.
Mikesubrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
Samurai Jack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21145
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Not in my own time
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Default

Thanks. Seen the OEM/Grimmspeed splitter combo for $450, then add paint on top of that so not jumping on it right now.

Tried taking it and the mirrors back to the paint shop and telling them to fix it? If it's that bad, I would make them fix it. Maybe they can polish it out?
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #9
ncapella
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 408976
Join Date: Dec 2014
Default

Looking good, nice job
ncapella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #10
Mikesubrs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243627
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York 845
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx Wag
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
Thanks. Seen the OEM/Grimmspeed splitter combo for $450, then add paint on top of that so not jumping on it right now.

Tried taking it and the mirrors back to the paint shop and telling them to fix it? If it's that bad, I would make them fix it. Maybe they can polish it out?
Well I work at a dealership and they have a guy come to do on-site painting. So he does it outside behind the dealership in a field! Still waiting to see him come back, but I wouldn't want him to touch any of my **** again anyway. Charged me 200 to paint my scoop and both my mirrors. And it's not polish it out kinda deal either, would have to completely redone. Scoop has a few pieces of small grass or dust in it, mirrors have dimples in paint, grass in paints, wasn't prepped properly (didn't sand it or anything) can see what looks to be a finger print. Just overall dissatisfied and don't even want to deal with the guy anymore. Going to have to save up some money before I take it to a real paint place. Dumped a lot into this car lately in the past 2 months oops lol

Yeah the one on rsd is a genuine subaru part. So had no issue with fitment. I decided to splurge, plus it looks great. Now I gotta clean my headlights (all hazy/foggy) really kills the look of the car with ****ty headlights lol. But deff reccomend!
Mikesubrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #11
Mikesubrs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243627
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York 845
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx Wag
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncapella View Post
Looking good, nice job
Thanks appreciate it!
Mikesubrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #12
Samurai Jack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21145
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Not in my own time
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesubrs View Post
Well I work at a dealership and they have a guy come to do on-site painting. So he does it outside behind the dealership in a field! Still waiting to see him come back, but I wouldn't want him to touch any of my **** again anyway. Charged me 200 to paint my scoop and both my mirrors. And it's not polish it out kinda deal either, would have to completely redone. Scoop has a few pieces of small grass or dust in it, mirrors have dimples in paint, grass in paints, wasn't prepped properly (didn't sand it or anything) can see what looks to be a finger print. Just overall dissatisfied and don't even want to deal with the guy anymore.
Couldn't see that in the pictures. That really sucks.
If the Dealer promotes this guy, then maybe you can the Dealer to pony up part of the do-over.

What kind of an idiot paints that way?

I hope they don't paint cars that way
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #13
Mikesubrs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243627
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York 845
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx Wag
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
Couldn't see that in the pictures. That really sucks.
If the Dealer promotes this guy, then maybe you can the Dealer to pony up part of the do-over.

What kind of an idiot paints that way?

I hope they don't paint cars that way


This how he let it dry, out in the open, the mirrors were hanging on strings underneath the scoop.

He hasn't been back in 3 weeks, usually here once a week.

And has a inflatable booth kinda thing, and usually can fit a small car in or the front of rear of a larger veh.

Will try to take close up pics of the mirrors when I get home.
Mikesubrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:31 PM   #14
cwoodford
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 450950
Join Date: Jul 2016
Default JDM hood scoop

I just bought one of these scoops for my bugeye also. My car is PSM and I ended up just rattle canning the scoop black with some duplicolor automotive paint. It didn't turn out perfect and it was a lot of effort sanding and painting, but I LOVE the way the bigger scoop looks on the car.
cwoodford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #15
Mikesubrs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243627
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York 845
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx Wag
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoodford View Post
I just bought one of these scoops for my bugeye also. My car is PSM and I ended up just rattle canning the scoop black with some duplicolor automotive paint. It didn't turn out perfect and it was a lot of effort sanding and painting, but I LOVE the way the bigger scoop looks on the car.
Expensive scoop but worth it! Definitely adds good/sleek style! Not too big to make the car look gaudy either.
Mikesubrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:19 PM   #16
Mikesubrs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243627
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York 845
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx Wag
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
Couldn't see that in the pictures. That really sucks.
If the Dealer promotes this guy, then maybe you can the Dealer to pony up part of the do-over.

What kind of an idiot paints that way?

I hope they don't paint cars that way


If you look by the glare you can see the finger print like smudge. Can also see dimples in the paint. Its like this on the whole mirror



I'm this pic he Didn't even paint the whole underside by the letters.
Mikesubrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #17
Samurai Jack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21145
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Not in my own time
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Default

That's extremely poor work. I'm sure you could probably done a better job w/a spray can.

You said you work at this dealer, yes?
Did you talk to the Service Manager about this, since this is the guy they bring in to do their work?

What did he/she say?
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #18
Mikesubrs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243627
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York 845
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx Wag
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
That's extremely poor work. I'm sure you could probably done a better job w/a spray can.

You said you work at this dealer, yes?
Did you talk to the Service Manager about this, since this is the guy they bring in to do their work?

What did he/she say?
Yes I do, I haven't showed him my mirrors yet. But we (some of the other techs) have said something about his low quality work in the past. But don't seem to care. Also trying to leave that dealership and hopefully go somewhere better. Can't stand the service manager and a few other things there. And the paint guy haha.
Maybe going to either a subaru dealership or a performance shop. Both closer to home then the place I'm at now.
Mikesubrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #19
Stevedawgg1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 425688
Join Date: Jul 2015
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
Word Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmanEstates View Post
Glad 04/07 made interchangeable scoops
^But they didn't. 04 won't fit 07. I tried. And yea, I work at a dealership too(parts guy), had the exact same situation with a customer car and our painter too. Mobile painters aren't worth it imo.
Stevedawgg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:25 PM   #20
Mikesubrs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243627
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York 845
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx Wag
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedawgg1 View Post
^But they didn't. 04 won't fit 07. I tried. And yea, I work at a dealership too(parts guy), had the exact same situation with a customer car and our painter too. Mobile painters aren't worth it imo.

Yeah found out the hard way unfortunately. Hate paying for **** twice.
Mikesubrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:37 PM   #21
Mikesubrs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243627
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York 845
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx Wag
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
That's extremely poor work. I'm sure you could probably done a better job w/a spray can.

You said you work at this dealer, yes?
Did you talk to the Service Manager about this, since this is the guy they bring in to do their work?

What did he/she say?


This is how he works


Not very professional
Mikesubrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:52 AM   #22
Samurai Jack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21145
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Not in my own time
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Default

No Dealer worth their salt would use a painter who works like that
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #23
Mikesubrs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243627
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York 845
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx Wag
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
No Dealer worth their salt would use a painter who works like that
Well it is a Ford dealership so... Lol
Mikesubrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.