Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 29, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Wlkonh2o
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 275011
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza WRX
Urban Grey

Default Clutch/Transmission Question

This morning on my drive in to work, I made a uturn and when i came out of the turn, shifted into 3rd and applied gas there was nothing. Rev's jumped with no power to the wheels.

The pedal felt as if there was shaking and shimmering somewhere down the line. the gas pedal and brake were smooth as butter. I'm not sure how to describe the clutch pedal besides shakey. There wasnt the normal resistance from the pedal but it came back on its own so the hydraulics seem fine. There was no distinct engagement of any gear when releasing the clutch pedal but when applying gas i could tell i was in the appropriate gear. Applying gas gave me a little bit of power but not enough to accelerate, i could barely maintain 35mph and too much gas caused my rpms to jolt with no improvement in speed.

Obviously something came loose, or broke and now my wrx is stranded at work(atleast its not on the side of the road)

any ideas on what i managed to break?

07 WRX
Exedy organic clutch
Xactly streetlite
Subaru short throw shifter

Last edited by Wlkonh2o; 01-29-2013 at 05:03 PM. Reason: I'm too ADHD to type a complete thought.
Wlkonh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Wlkonh2o
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Impreza WRX
Urban Grey

No dice?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
xluben
Scooby Guru

Member#: 261612
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

You're missing a lot of info. Does the car work in any gear? Can you physically shift into any/all gears? Does the clutch fork move back and forth when you press the clutch? Etc...
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Wlkonh2o
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Impreza WRX
Urban Grey

I can put in gear using clutch pedal for all gears. The car does work in all gears but not well. When i put in 1st for example and release pedal the car begins to move some, I've got to hold my Rpms right around 2k to get it to roll, any higher and it revs up but no increase in acceleration, like the clutch is slipping. At the 2k RPM mark it feels like maybe 10% of the power is actually transferring to forward motion.

I can hear the fork working the TOB because I didn't lube the TOB well enough and its been squeaking since. So I know that's moving.

But it feels like the springs on the pressure plate broke because of the lack of relative resistance when pressing the clutch pedal. Previously pressing the clutch was, as the SOA tech described it, like presing a brick.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
xluben
Scooby Guru

Member#: 261612
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

I'd double check the motion of the slave/fork. If that checks out, then it's probably time to split the tranny and block and take a look at the clutch.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
Aaron'z 2.5RS
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1026
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
'00 RS/WRX Stg5
'98 RS Stock

It doesnt really matter WHAT we say, you're going to be pulling it to look anyway...

I doubt HIGHLY that any advice we give is going to prevent the inevitable, you pulling the clutch for inspection..

My first thought is too much grease on the splines, or grooves in the input snout hanging up the TOB
Aaron'z 2.5RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
Wlkonh2o
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Impreza WRX
Urban Grey

That's true Aaron about pulling it but I wanted to have a better idea of the issue and if I could avoid taking it to the shop. Not much extra cash or time floating around when its only a few weeks from having child #2.

Just so odd that with one clutch press I'm steadily on my way to work and with the next I'm trying to figure out if I'm even going to make it to work.