Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #51
rob1n1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276425
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkerekes View Post
SNOW tires are more dangerous in the winter. They break loose all the way thru 2nd gear and into 3rd in the dry.

BAN snow tires.

Dont drive like a dick head and all your weather related problems are solved.
This is the worst post I've ever read on NASIOC.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
rob1n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #52
skywaffles
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82470
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
. let's take
an ussie

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1n1 View Post
This is the worst post I've ever read on NASIOC.
Clearly you've never met motorpotor.
skywaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #53
teh POD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 90195
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore, MD
Default

**** your tires.

teh POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #54
hkerekes
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 66310
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Removing passenger seat
Vehicle:
2012 Orange

Default

Who thinks its a good idea to run 285 wide snow tires?

I ran a 245 instead, it gave me the ability to drive in snow but now I have less traction in the dry than the 285 in any temp.

Some of you need to detect sarcasm a little better. BAN all snow tires you cant really think i was being serious.
hkerekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #55
Rootus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89821
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: A Series Of Toobs
Vehicle:
2015 STI LE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkerekes View Post
Who thinks its a good idea to run 285 wide snow tires?

I ran a 245 instead, it gave me the ability to drive in snow but now I have less traction in the dry than the 285 in any temp.

Some of you need to detect sarcasm a little better. BAN all snow tires you cant really think i was being serious.
My snow tires are even narrower -- 225. Even then, sliding on dry pavement really does require that I violate the rules of common sense, if not the law. Tires really have gotten quite good, I have to say . I feel bad for my snow tires, though, we haven't had hardly any snow this year so I've been tearing them up for no real gain.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #56
subyski
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202642
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Centennial, Colorado
Vehicle:
'08 2.5i,'65 Stang
'80 Vette L82,'73 914 2.0

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkerekes View Post
Who thinks its a good idea to run 285 wide snow tires?

I ran a 245 instead, it gave me the ability to drive in snow but now I have less traction in the dry than the 285 in any temp.

Some of you need to detect sarcasm a little better. BAN all snow tires you cant really think i was being serious.
No one is saying to run 285 snow tires.

So you are telling me that 285 summer tires offer better traction in dry 0 degree roads than narrower snow tires?.......Logic still does not compute. What do you consider as "any temp"?

Work on expressing sarcasm on the internet better. We cannot see you through your typing. No sarcasm here.
subyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #57
4wdwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 72042
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Sunshine
Vehicle:
2002 WRX impreza
WRB "Blue Mammoth"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid03SVT View Post
Haha - I lived in vermont for 6 years, I had an SVT focus through most of it, every day on I-89 there were a myriad of "flat landers" in the median with their SUV's

but but but 4wheel drive?!?!?
So, you are saying 4 wheel drive was a mistake and has no advantage... And FWD is where its at?

Tell that to Audi and their WRC domination when they introduced 4 wheel drive to rallying. Also Nissan, which their GTR was banned from competition because of its 4 wheel drive advantage.
4wdwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #58
rob1n1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276425
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdwrx View Post

So, you are saying 4 wheel drive was a mistake and has no advantage... And FWD is where its at?

Tell that to Audi and their WRC domination when they introduced 4 wheel drive to rallying. Also Nissan, which their GTR was banned from competition because of its 4 wheel drive advantage.
Yeah because that has to do with getting to the grocery store in a storm. /s

His point is that AWD/4WD isn't worth much if you don't have the correct tires for the conditions. The AWD Subaru rally cars had rally tires...
rob1n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #59
Shortpersonbk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319017
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
12 slow sti 6266 e
595/450

Default

cheap summer tires and awd....

because poverty
Shortpersonbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #60
Rootus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89821
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: A Series Of Toobs
Vehicle:
2015 STI LE

Default

What is the argument, again? For inclement weather...

- winter tires > all season > summer > R comp
- tires > drivetrain
- AWD > FWD > RWD

Aside from rationalizing a purchase decision, there's not a lot to disagree on here.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:55 AM   #61
hkerekes
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 66310
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Removing passenger seat
Vehicle:
2012 Orange

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyski View Post
No one is saying to run 285 snow tires.

So you are telling me that 285 summer tires offer better traction in dry 0 degree roads than narrower snow tires?.......Logic still does not compute. What do you consider as "any temp"?

Work on expressing sarcasm on the internet better. We cannot see you through your typing. No sarcasm here.
I had the 285 summers down to 15 to 20 degrees. They still had more dry grip than my 245 winters. If there is any sort of moisture the winters win. Maybe since its a heavier car it gets more heat in them.
hkerekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #62
SoapBox
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 204578
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Philadelphia
Vehicle:
S54 M3, N54 135i
In another life: REX8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
How about having sex... WHILE boosting cars?
SoapBox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #63
SoapBox
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 204578
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Philadelphia
Vehicle:
S54 M3, N54 135i
In another life: REX8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkerekes View Post
I had the 285 summers down to 15 to 20 degrees. They still had more dry grip than my 245 winters. If there is any sort of moisture the winters win. Maybe since its a heavier car it gets more heat in them.
+1.

Grip is of course down compared to 50 degree+ temps, but they still have a good bit of stick in freezing temps/dry road. Depends somewhat on the tire, but most simply do not go to deadly hockey pucks like the internet would have you believe.
SoapBox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #64
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: in a minefield of caddishness.
Vehicle:
1984 "Skeletor from
"He-Man"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1n1 View Post
This is the worst post I've ever read on NASIOC.
Not a fan of jokes and sarcasm, eh?
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #65
subyski
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202642
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Centennial, Colorado
Vehicle:
'08 2.5i,'65 Stang
'80 Vette L82,'73 914 2.0

Default

No need for me to keep beating this dead horse. Everyone will have their own preferences and opinions. My preferences will be based on design, engineering, chemistry, and personal experiences. This sums it up for me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootus View Post
What is the argument, again? For inclement weather...

- winter tires > all season > summer > R comp
- tires > drivetrain
- AWD > FWD > RWD

Aside from rationalizing a purchase decision, there's not a lot to disagree on here.
subyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #66
4wdwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 72042
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Sunshine
Vehicle:
2002 WRX impreza
WRB "Blue Mammoth"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1n1 View Post
Yeah because that has to do with getting to the grocery store in a storm. /s

His point is that AWD/4WD isn't worth much if you don't have the correct tires for the conditions. The AWD Subaru rally cars had rally tires...
Of course, than why claim AWD with cheap worn down summer tires versus FWD with studded snow tires mean FWD superiority.

It is like saying lets have a race between a overweight person with nice running shoes vs a marathon runner, with a leg chopped off.
4wdwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.