Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
seanx820
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 325319
Have a Nice Day? Backup Camera Questions

Hey I found plenty of threads on backup cameras on here but there is a huge range of pricing, I just purchased an Pioneer AVIC-940BT and I have seen everything from
this  $28 camerathis $28 camera
to this pioneer
ND -BC4 camera ND -BC4 camera
which is $154. What is the difference, does anyone know why the huge price difference? What should I get?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
seanx820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
1oldman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 325505
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Crystal Black Silica

I have a Pioneer AVH-8400BT with the Pioneer BC-4 camera which works flawlessly. I waisted $80 on an aftermarket "universal" backup camera that did not work worth a ****. Save yourself the aggravation, money and time and get the Pioneer BU camera made to work with your unit.
1oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
P.J.
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 116369
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2012 STi sedan
silver, Stage 2

Hi,

I have a 100% Pioneer setup, except for the camera I am currently running a Kenwood Cmos 300 in my 2012 Sti and this is my second car with the Kenwood camera (2006 Sti but with the 200 version). Difference between the 2 is the 300 has multi angle view and adjustable "guide" lines and or steering input if you wire it up (I did not) and the 200 is only a camera.

The camera works flawlessly and clearly every time also it has a very wide viewing angle. Yes they are bit pricey but compared to others these are much better (Mercedes uses these, but with MB part numbers of course).

Here is my setup:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2300312

300 version:
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...nment/CMOS-300
200 version:
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...nment/CMOS-200

Hope it helps
P.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
tremor
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 319274
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza WRX
White pearl

I decided to go cheap on the camera since I was spending plenty of money elsewhere. For $20 I felt I just couldn't go wrong.

Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-CC06 Universal Car Rear View Bracket Mount Backup Camera (Waterproof IP67 / Color CMOS / 170 Degree Viewing Angle / Distance Scale Line): Car ElectronicsAmazon.com: TaoTronics TT-CC06 Universal Car Rear View Bracket Mount Backup Camera (Waterproof IP67 / Color CMOS / 170 Degree Viewing Angle / Distance Scale Line): Car Electronics

Works well with my Pioneer AppRadio2. This is my first back up camera, so I don't have much to compare to. I could go through 6+ of these before equaling the cost of the higher end cameras.
tremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
mulagain
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 319912

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor View Post
I decided to go cheap on the camera since I was spending plenty of money elsewhere. For $20 I felt I just couldn't go wrong.

Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-CC06 Universal Car Rear View Bracket Mount Backup Camera (Waterproof IP67 / Color CMOS / 170 Degree Viewing Angle / Distance Scale Line): Car Electronics

Works well with my Pioneer AppRadio2. This is my first back up camera, so I don't have much to compare to. I could go through 6+ of these before equaling the cost of the higher end cameras.
I tried this on the first go-round too. My advice is to be REALLY careful during installation by:

1- don't connect any power until your install is 100% complete
2- Get a $3 inline fuse
3- make sure the ground is the last thing you connect

I did these and still shorted mine out by accidentally pinching a wire on the non fused side of the power wire. They are $20 for a reason (delicate!).

A couple of good threads to read when (not if... just a matter of time you start to scout for a dependable camera. This and this.

I went with a
Boyo 425HD Boyo 425HD
after the above budget attempt and while it was $125 it has been through hell and high water and still works like new (520vtl too!)
mulagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
tremor
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 319274
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza WRX
White pearl

Quote:
1- don't connect any power until your install is 100% complete
2- Get a $3 inline fuse
3- make sure the ground is the last thing you connect
I had my battery disconnected at the time as I was removing the rear interior trim to install raammat, so maybe I lucked out.

I'll be sure to update this thread if/when mine craps out.
tremor is offline   Reply With Quote