Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday January 28, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
Jive Turkey
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 219492
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Soviet Russia
Vehicle:
'13 Hachi-Roku
Discontinued.

Default subie waves and lack there of.

so after owning my STi i've come accustomed to honking, waving, flashing lights,
etc. to every modified or not modified subaru on the road.
people have always waved back or responded whether they are young or old,
modded car owners of just run of the mill foresters same goes for nicer
cars, thumbs up and waves are always a sign of respect and just nice
gestures. i'm not talking about revving at lights or doing ricer fly by's either

now i have a brz and its like i'm shunned. granted its not a big deal, i'm just
curious as to why? today alone i saw a handful of modded GD's on the road,
honked, waved and nothing. am i expecting too much from fellow enthusiasts?
other people seem to ask me about the car all the time, more
than people ever have about the sti.

so i guess i'm just venting my frustrations with the community, or lack of
recently, however do you guys generally acknowledge other subaru owners on
the road or any nice car in general?

i like to show respect to all cars, is a general thumbs up or wave too much or
is the subaru/car community as a whole just changing.

-ivan
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Jive Turkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
daseca07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 277630
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Rockville MD
Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
WRB

Default

i wave at brz owners all the time and i never get waves back lol. idk i guess the brz doesnt stand out that much yet to most wrx owners. i spot them easily in traffic and give em a flash or wave but nothing in return. oh well
daseca07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
nhmtns
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 94283
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Mt. Washington Valley, NH
Vehicle:
'05 OBXT Stage 2
Min bil är svart

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
now i have a brz and its like i'm shunned. granted its not a big deal, i'm just curious as to why?
Maybe it's because you're missing 2 of your WD's.
nhmtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Navendra94
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 327495
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Ozone Park, Queens, New York
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX 5DR
Plasma Blue

Default

Its because it looks similar to the Scion lol. When I see one I say in my head, "hang on, lemme see this closer... BRZ or FRS...?"

I wave at brzs
Navendra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
blue sedan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 311622
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Pa.
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
WRB

Default

If I ever see one Ill wave.
blue sedan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Damien
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 25234
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Wandering the World
Vehicle:
2013 Black WRX
287 Igg-Points just `cuz

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
so after owning my STi i've come accustomed to honking, waving, flashing lights,
etc. to every modified or not modified subaru on the road.
people have always waved back or responded whether they are young or old,
modded car owners of just run of the mill foresters same goes for nicer
cars, thumbs up and waves are always a sign of respect and just nice
gestures. i'm not talking about revving at lights or doing ricer fly by's either

now i have a brz and its like i'm shunned. granted its not a big deal, i'm just
curious as to why? today alone i saw a handful of modded GD's on the road,
honked, waved and nothing. am i expecting too much from fellow enthusiasts?
other people seem to ask me about the car all the time, more
than people ever have about the sti.

so i guess i'm just venting my frustrations with the community, or lack of
recently, however do you guys generally acknowledge other subaru owners on
the road or any nice car in general?

i like to show respect to all cars, is a general thumbs up or wave too much or
is the subaru/car community as a whole just changing.

-ivan
Because racecar.. I've yet to see a BRZ out in the wild yet...

-Damien
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
2007 Lotus Elise
(From General)

Default

Lots of Toyota/Scion owners. They hear the vibration from the H4 and are too preoccupied thinking that their engine is about to blow up. Anything louder than a sewing machine to those guys needs massive engineering work to quiet it down.

......and you think I'm kidding? Go to a BRZ/FRS forums site (not nasioc). Half the posts complain about the above.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
GDB FAN
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 105814
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
two V8's..
'murica

Default

Probably downshifting for a mad tyte blow off to make you jelly.
GDB FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

I don't wave to frs, i see too many idiots driving them, I have only seen one brz and waved to the owner and told him nice ride
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Preludicrous
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334356
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tucson AZ
Vehicle:
2006 2.5i Wagon
SRR

Default

All I get are dirty looks from other Subie drivers around here. 90% of the Subarus in Tucson are WRX's and they are all driven by guys who seem to think that a turboless Impreza is embarrasing, the other 10% are clueless students and old people. I only know one n/a guy and I will never get to wave to him because we live on completely opposite ends of town.
Preludicrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #11
Mr Wrex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332887
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Orange County, NY
Vehicle:
2012 WRX stage 2+
DGM (sedan)

Default

I always mistake BRZs for miatas when I pass by... until I see the subie logo that is. They've only been out since 2012, so not many people really know about them. If it wasn't for the subie badge, I'd still mistake them for miatas
Mr Wrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
EVM
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 345776
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Vehicle:
2013 STI Ltd
satin white pearl

Default

Down here it could be taken the wrong way and you get your tires shot out. lol. Houston sucks.

I prob wont wave unless waved at.
EVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
Eyeflyistheeye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 69694
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: My personal hell
Vehicle:
2014 EuroPinto 5MT

Default

If people of the same race, political affiliation or even religion aren't necessarily friends nor greet each other, why should anyone expect that just because another person coincidentally bought a similar car as you?

SMH.
Eyeflyistheeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
Preludicrous
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334356
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tucson AZ
Vehicle:
2006 2.5i Wagon
SRR

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeflyistheeye View Post
If people of the same race, political affiliation or even religion aren't necessarily friends nor greet each other, why should anyone expect that just because another person coincidentally bought a similar car as you?

SMH.
While I do not disagree with this statement, I do feel that when it comes to cars there is a certain level of comradery (sp?) assumed by enthusiasts. You can't tell me that when you see another car like yours with obvious modifications one of your first thoughts isn't "hey we have something in common..."
Preludicrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
Danthrax
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 299368
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza 2.0i
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeflyistheeye View Post
If people of the same race, political affiliation or even religion aren't necessarily friends nor greet each other, why should anyone expect that just because another person coincidentally bought a similar car as you?

SMH.
Because it's supposed to be a friendly community. Ever watch a subaru commercial? They say LOVE for a reason.
Danthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #16
cal_look_zero
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 294461
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Grass Pants, OR
Vehicle:
1997 Outback Sport
383hp/345tq

Default

Because the majority of BRZ/FRS/WRX/STI/OPP (yeah, you know me) drivers are boy racer wannabes in a car daddy paid for, and I have no desire to associate with them?

Seriously? People get a booboo face over other "Enthusiasts" not waving to them?
cal_look_zero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #17
Eyeflyistheeye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 69694
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: My personal hell
Vehicle:
2014 EuroPinto 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danthrax View Post
Because it's supposed to be a friendly community. Ever watch a subaru commercial? They say LOVE for a reason.
Well, since I drive a Subaru, can I borrow $500, stay at your house and drink your beer? If you say no, then you're not being very "loving."

If Subaru's new slogan was "stick a gerbil up your ass" would you do it?
Eyeflyistheeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #18
griff907
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 308755
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: puyallup WA.
Vehicle:
2011 WRX hatchback
DGM

Default

I think it's because the BRZ/FR-S, for the most part, attracts a different type of crowd than your regular Subaru owner. My opinion is that the majority of BRZ/FR-S owners don't realize the type of community they bought into and the acknowledgement most of us give to fellow owners.
griff907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
Gallo2011
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 268310
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Kali
Vehicle:
2011 SSM STI saloon
Church!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
so after owning my STi i've come accustomed to honking, waving, flashing lights,
etc. to every modified or not modified subaru on the road.
people have always waved back or responded whether they are young or old,
modded car owners of just run of the mill foresters same goes for nicer
cars, thumbs up and waves are always a sign of respect and just nice
gestures. i'm not talking about revving at lights or doing ricer fly by's either

now i have a brz and its like i'm shunned. granted its not a big deal, i'm just
curious as to why? today alone i saw a handful of modded GD's on the road,
honked, waved and nothing. am i expecting too much from fellow enthusiasts?
Who are you and what have you done with Jive Turkey?
Gallo2011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #20
Trustkevin13
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 259184
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Kansas
Vehicle:
2008 Subaru WRX
Silver

Default

I honked at a brz on the hwy before and all i got was the look. plus most of them don't care about what they are riding in, they are usually new buyers to the subaru make only because they get some nicer stuff than the fr-s and its the best cheap real 2-door sports car in a while. here i dont even get waved at by most other wrx owners or at least the ones that are women, which are a lot around my college campus. still have to meet one outside the car to ask them out. i think dealerships should still give new owners the talk about the waving and family stuff. cause only the guys wrx's wave at me whenever i see one. women...
Trustkevin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #21
robinson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318019
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Okinawa
Vehicle:
2001 Legacy B4
White

Default

Hardly any waves in Okinawa, unless maybe you know the guy.

I tried to wave another subi down for a flat tire, but failed. I had to follow them to their parking spot to get their attention. *stalker* :-P
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #22
SW21MR2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60135
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Vehicle:
2005 Kona Stink-E
White

Default

I usually wave at other Subaru regardless of model fixed up or not. I usually don't notice BRZs or FRSs. When I do, they've already passed.
SW21MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #23
Heedlessone
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254130
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bozeman, MT
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Twinscroll Goodness

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeflyistheeye View Post

If Subaru's new slogan was "stick a gerbil up your ass" would you do it?


The man raises a good point.
Heedlessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #24
That guy in Maine
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 256642
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
NoGF thread knows
drama.

Default

I wave to the "nicer" subarus, (2.5XTs, STIs, WRXs, BRZs, or nicely modded one), I rarely get waved back at though since I just drive a Forester around

Oh well.
That guy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #25
Dale2011WRX
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 304299
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Nor'East
Vehicle:
2011 WRX, white
2014 Crosstrek, tangerine

Default

It's pretty simple.

Ever since [insert the year you bought your first Subaru] the community has really gone downhill.

And all the people who own [add 3 years to the year you first got into Subarus] model year cars are just a bunch of stupid kids who's parents bought them a car, and they don't know anything about the community, so they ruined it for everybody.

On a broader scale, pretty much everyone that owns a [insert car make/model you have an irrational hatred of] is a complete idiot.

Given that you own a '13, you're clearly part of the problem. You can't complain until 2016. If you'd have kept your STI you'd only have one more year to wait.

Sorry dude.
Dale2011WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.