Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday January 26, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #526
30 psi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152599
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: In my STI
Vehicle:
15 STI - SQC#292
JRTuned Dark Grey Metalic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
The 2015 WRX/STI will really have to be stellar to prevent me from plunking down a deposit on a new R next summer
The new Golf R is being released in the states next summer?
2014 summer or did you mean 2015 summer?

I ask this because almost everywhere I read it says that US version will either not be offered (as of yet) or it will be availible in 2015
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
30 psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #527
Ghost Rider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70346
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2013 Focus ST
Performance Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 psi View Post

The new Golf R is being released in the states next summer?
2014 summer or did you mean 2015 summer?

I ask this because almost everywhere I read it says that US version will either not be offered (as of yet) or it will be availible in 2015
I thought I read that it could be here next fall. I assume there will be "pre-order" process if it's limited. But, if it is later than it just makes my down payment capable of increasing...
Ghost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #528
Vectors2Final
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 15553
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Austin, Texas
Vehicle:
'13 Wife's Exploder
No drive in Korea

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesss View Post

Very nice indeed. I think this is a product of switching from the EA113 to the EA888. Simply a better design. The next gen R is shaping up to be something special for sure.
You know the the 2012-13 R isn't a TSI, right?even though it says TSI on the engine cover, it's not. It's an upgraded EA888 2.0T.

Unless you're referring to the 1.8 EA888.
Vectors2Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #529
Vectors2Final
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 15553
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Austin, Texas
Vehicle:
'13 Wife's Exploder
No drive in Korea

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post

I thought I read that it could be here next fall. I assume there will be "pre-order" process if it's limited. But, if it is later than it just makes my down payment capable of increasing...
For the last R, they promised a 2011 delivery. Never happened. People placed orders as soon as May of 2011 for a January Delivery.

I placed my order in early December and was able to have it by the second week of January. I was one of the fist hundred or so people to have taken delivery of the R at the time with a production of 2011.
Vectors2Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #530
endlesss
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 196720
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2Final View Post
You know the the 2012-13 R isn't a TSI, right?even though it says TSI on the engine cover, it's not. It's an upgraded EA888 2.0T.

Unless you're referring to the 1.8 EA888.
Current R is NOT an upgraded EA888, it's an upgraded EA113. That's why I'm saying the the MK7 will be better since it will be based on the latest platform (EA888). And yes, the TSI on the valve cover is misleading but has nothing to do with my point.
endlesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #531
Vectors2Final
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 15553
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Austin, Texas
Vehicle:
'13 Wife's Exploder
No drive in Korea

Default

I'm not high or anything, but the current R isn't TSI.

Same as in the TTS
Vectors2Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #532
Vectors2Final
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 15553
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Austin, Texas
Vehicle:
'13 Wife's Exploder
No drive in Korea

Default

Here is the breakdown for the outgoing R.

The Golf R features these main upgrades over the standard FSI EA888 engine: Lower compression forged pistons Strengthened connecting rods Enlarged wrist pins Stronger piston rings Upgraded bearings Reinforced engine block Upgraded camshafts (longer duration) Upgraded injectors (+13% flow) Larger K04 turbo producing 1.2 bar of boost (+3 PSI over K03 equipped GTI) Larger intercooler (+30%) Relocated bypass valve The Golf R employs a familiar, but revised (4th generation) Haldex 4motion all-wheel drive system.

You're right.

I was thinking of something else.

Vectors2Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #533
endlesss
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 196720
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2Final View Post
Here is the breakdown for the outgoing R.

The Golf R features these main upgrades over the standard FSI EA888 engine: Lower compression forged pistons Strengthened connecting rods Enlarged wrist pins Stronger piston rings Upgraded bearings Reinforced engine block Upgraded camshafts (longer duration) Upgraded injectors (+13% flow) Larger K04 turbo producing 1.2 bar of boost (+3 PSI over K03 equipped GTI) Larger intercooler (+30%) Relocated bypass valve The Golf R employs a familiar, but revised (4th generation) Haldex 4motion all-wheel drive system.

You're right.

I was thinking of something else.

Dude, I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but it's wrong. No one is arguing current R is TSI, because it's not. Current R is EA113 aka FSI. Next gen R will be EA888 aka TSI.

Maybe you're confusing which engine is TSI and which is FSI? MKV GTI was FSI EA113. Current R has an upgraded engine based on that. MKVI GTI has TSI EA888.

endlesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #534
Vectors2Final
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 15553
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Austin, Texas
Vehicle:
'13 Wife's Exploder
No drive in Korea

Default

I was... You didn't read the bottom of my post, did you?

What you just posted is what I mixed up.
Vectors2Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #535
endlesss
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 196720
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2Final View Post
I was... You didn't read the bottom of my post, did you?

What you just posted is what I mixed up.
Wasn't sure if serious... I get it now
endlesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #536
Vectors2Final
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 15553
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Austin, Texas
Vehicle:
'13 Wife's Exploder
No drive in Korea

Default




What you said is what I meant. I Just had it all messed up. No coffee today.
Vectors2Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #537
cannedtuna
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286661
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ/TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
I thought I read that it could be here next fall. I assume there will be "pre-order" process if it's limited. But, if it is later than it just makes my down payment capable of increasing...
I heard that it was a year from the European release, so to me that sounds like pre orders for next December and orders will be received by spring.
cannedtuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #538
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

THe R uses the older configuration engine but with beefed up internals. THat is why you can get it flashed in 10 minutes with the ECU still in the car through the OBDII port. Unlike the current crop of GTI's that need the ecu to be removed.
SCRAPPYDO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #539
Vectors2Final
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 15553
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Austin, Texas
Vehicle:
'13 Wife's Exploder
No drive in Korea

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
THe R uses the older configuration engine but with beefed up internals. THat is why you can get it flashed in 10 minutes with the ECU still in the car through the OBDII port. Unlike the current crop of GTI's that need the ecu to be removed.
Say goodbye to those days.

Hello, TD1
Vectors2Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #540
kukabuka
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 41218
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: North Idaho
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch
2014 Forester XT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
THe R uses the older configuration engine but with beefed up internals. THat is why you can get it flashed in 10 minutes with the ECU still in the car through the OBDII port. Unlike the current crop of GTI's that need the ecu to be removed.
And let me just say, it is a royal pain in the ass removing the ECU. The highlight of that adventure was cutting slots into the ends of a pair of bolts with a dremel so that I could unscrew them with a screwdriver.
kukabuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #541
cannedtuna
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286661
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ/TX
Default

cannedtuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #542
Vectors2Final
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 15553
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Austin, Texas
Vehicle:
'13 Wife's Exploder
No drive in Korea

Default

Here are some pics from the tex.

http://www.vwvortex.com/galleries/?c...t%20IAA%2F2013


You're never going to see that kind of quality out of the WRX in terms of fit and finish.

Same thing with the outgoing version. Mine was just wonderful, and I hope some key features carry over to US Spec. They're saying late 2015 release from the article I read. Didn't watch the vid.
Vectors2Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #543
cannedtuna
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286661
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ/TX
Default

I agree with you, you won't find that level of fit and finish in the WRX at all. Cars like the Golf R will become even more common as the demand for better crafted cars continues to increase. Subaru on the other hand will ignore this demand and do what they have always done. I will wait to see how things shape up but I'm not holding my breath.
cannedtuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #544
endlesss
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 196720
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2Final View Post
Here are some pics from the tex.

http://www.vwvortex.com/galleries/?c...t%20IAA%2F2013


You're never going to see that kind of quality out of the WRX in terms of fit and finish.

Same thing with the outgoing version. Mine was just wonderful, and I hope some key features carry over to US Spec. They're saying late 2015 release from the article I read. Didn't watch the vid.
Very sharp indeed. Bleh, late 2015, I'm not good at waiting..
endlesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #545
fredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317270
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Vehicle:
15 WRX, WRB 6MT
14 CX-5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedtuna View Post
I heard that it was a year from the European release, so to me that sounds like pre orders for next December and orders will be received by spring.
Yes, the most credible sources outside of official PR are saying early to mid 2015 for the R.

I was really surprised to hear that the GTI will be out before the regular Golf. Hopefully they can pull that in to 1Q 2014. If the new WRX is available for months before I can even test drive the new GTI, it will be hard to hold out. Right now I vow not to buy anything until I test both, or my wife accepts getting a GTI w/DSG instead of her CX-5
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #546
Vectors2Final
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 15553
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Austin, Texas
Vehicle:
'13 Wife's Exploder
No drive in Korea

Default

At least by the time it's release, my current lease will be up.... Although, there are a few new cars that may trump the R by then. To include the B9 S4
Vectors2Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #547
Jfrankon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 20254
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2010 VW GTI
2013 Outback 3.6R

Default

Interesting,...no handbrake on that manual R. Parking brake switch instead.
Jfrankon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #548
Ghost Rider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70346
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2013 Focus ST
Performance Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrankon View Post
Interesting,...no handbrake on that manual R. Parking brake switch instead.
I thought I've read that the last R was like this in Europe too but usdm got a handle/lever
Ghost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #549
Rootus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89821
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: A Series Of Toobs
Vehicle:
2015 STI LE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedtuna View Post
I agree with you, you won't find that level of fit and finish in the WRX at all. Cars like the Golf R will become even more common as the demand for better crafted cars continues to increase. Subaru on the other hand will ignore this demand and do what they have always done. I will wait to see how things shape up but I'm not holding my breath.
If "what they have always done" is why Subaru is experiencing record sales, then it's hard to argue with their strategy. VW, on the other hand...
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #550
cannedtuna
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286661
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ/TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootus View Post
If "what they have always done" is why Subaru is experiencing record sales, then it's hard to argue with their strategy. VW, on the other hand...
I'm glad they are doing so well, thanks to people like me and you....so when will they give us some of the love they keep talking about. Maybe some better carpeting, more soft touch plastic, better seats, better oem nav's......
cannedtuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.