Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 73805
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default New Audi S3 Sportback

Quote:
Audi has revealed the new 296bhp S3 Sportback ahead of its unveiling at the Geneva Motor Show

Official pictures and details have been released of the new Audi S3 Sportback, ahead of its world debut at the Geneva Motor Show next month.
Audi has already unveiled the three-door S3, and the five-door Sportback is powered by the same 2.0-litre turbocharged engine, producing 296bhp. A six-speed manual gearbox comes as standard but a six-speed dual-clutch S-Tronic gearbox can also be specified, with all S3s fitted with quattro four-wheel drive.
With the dual-clutch gearbox the S3 Sportback can accelerate from 0-62mph in 5.0 seconds, while with the manual it takes 5.5 seconds. The top speed for both is electronically limited to 155mph.
Audi has improved fuel economy over the old S3 Sportback, claiming a figure of 41mpg for the S-Tronic model and 40.4mpg for the six-speed manual.
The S3 has sport suspension that is 25mm lower than the standard set-up to help improve handling, while bigger brakes are fitted, too.
The S3 Sportback gets LED daytime running lights as standard an aluminium-look S grille and four oval exhausts mounted in a diffuser at the rear. Grey wing mirrors and a large rear spoiler complete the look.
The Audi S3 Sportback goes on sale in September, with prices expected to start from around £34,000.




















* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AVANTI R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
rob1n1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276425
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Default

:drool:

But probably $40k+ at the lowest, considering the Golf R comes in at ~$36k.
rob1n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Stanley
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7374
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North Bay, SFCA
Vehicle:
2007 Grandpamobile
BlingBlingBlue

Default

That's a nice looking WRX!
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
vrusso
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207074
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Sacramento California
Vehicle:
2015 STI
You know your jealous

Default

The 40mpg catch anyone elses eye? Seems too good to be true.
vrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
SoSuMi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 74001
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Akron, OH
Vehicle:
2014 BMW 328 Touring
Mineral White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrusso View Post
The 40mpg catch anyone elses eye? Seems too good to be true.
Don't sweat it. It will never show up in the States. We are unworthy
SoSuMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
4wdwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 72042
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Sunshine
Vehicle:
2002 WRX impreza
WRB "Blue Mammoth"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrusso View Post
The 40mpg catch anyone elses eye? Seems too good to be true.
That's European ratings. Converted to U.S. ratings, probably around 30mpg
4wdwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
vrusso
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207074
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Sacramento California
Vehicle:
2015 STI
You know your jealous

Default

^^ Thanks makes sense was not thinking when I read the article.
vrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
blubaru703
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 71380
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Default

Damn good looking jetta.
blubaru703 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
Spenk
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7164
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Arizona Bay
Vehicle:
2000 Miata LS
Evo Orange Mica (1/644)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru703 View Post
Damn good looking jetta PQ35.
fixord

Last edited by Spenk; 02-13-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Spenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
sir_wagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 71549
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Mid-Atlantic Region
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrusso View Post
^^ Thanks makes sense was not thinking when I read the article.
The imperial gallon (UK) is larger than the US gallon.
sir_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
53x12
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206332
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In a tent
Default

Another nice car we will never see.
53x12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #12
A W
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265433
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
Another nice car we will never see.
;< I never liked how Audi gave more cargo room to make their numbers look better on the website and left our leg room. They'd obviously lose if they listed it on their websites and compared their wagons, hatchbacks, and CUV's to the competition.
A W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #13
delongedoug
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 124113
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: To infinity
Vehicle:
and beyond!

Default

I know it's a $40k Audi and not a boyracer, and no S cars are particularly flashy or distinguished from their A counterparts, but that really looks pretty boring to me. It's still right in the wheelhouse of what I'm looking for in a nicely appointed, sporty, preferably AWD hatchback.
delongedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #14
rob1n1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276425
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by delongedoug View Post
I know it's a $40k Audi and not a boyracer, and no S cars are particularly flashy or distinguished from their A counterparts, but that really looks pretty boring to me. It's still right in the wheelhouse of what I'm looking for in a nicely appointed, sporty, preferably AWD hatchback.
If you showed me only the front end, I would have trouble telling if it's an S3, S4 or S5...
rob1n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
mneste8718
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 51562
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh NC/High Point NC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Sedan PSM
EJ205 VF39@22psi 300whp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_wagon View Post
The imperial gallon (UK) is larger than the US gallon.
If this is based on imperial gallons and they are larger, then it would translate to higher MPG in US gallons because they are smaller......
mneste8718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
delongedoug
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 124113
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: To infinity
Vehicle:
and beyond!

Default

I was hoping I would change my tune after a day or so, but I still really don't like the look of that dash/center console area.
delongedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
ionthecrawfack
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 240140
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Quakertown, PA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX DGM
03 VF34'd WRX - sold

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneste8718 View Post
If this is based on imperial gallons and they are larger, then it would translate to higher MPG in US gallons because they are smaller......
Almost. The US gallons being smaller doesn't change the distance that the UK gallon is going on, because the base measurement is different. The UK gallon is 1.20095 of our gallons, so the mpg rating would have to be divided by ~1.2 or mutliplied by ~.83333 for the US. The US gallon is only ~5/6ths of the UK gallon so on the US gallon the car would not go 40 miles. It's approximately 33.64 mpg (US).

Oh, and it's an Audi S3, so it looks like an Audi. If we get one, it will cost what an Audi usually costs. Even if it's "under" the 4 series, it'll cost damn near as much. The interior looks nice, but that cross stitching might be too much.

Last edited by ionthecrawfack; 02-14-2013 at 01:02 PM.
ionthecrawfack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #18
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 73805
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default



Quote:
Kempen - More space, more stylishness and - in its ABT Sportsline version - also more sportiness. The new Audi A3 Sportback is a compact lifestyle vehicle that goes down well with everyone. A real premium car through and through, it forms the ideal basis for the traditional Bavarian company’s tuning skills. “It has been our objective to come up with huge dynamism and a self-confident design”, says Hans-Jürgen Abt, the CEO of ABT Sportsline: “The new ABT AS3 Sportback is a winner.”

And its “intrinsic” values are also quite something. Two upratings have already been conclusively tested for their dependability and roadworthiness: Thanks to ABT POWER “New Generation“, the very economical 1.4 TFSI now shows 160 hp (118 kW), up from its serial 122 hp (90 kW). Torque has been increased from 200 to 250 Nm. The 2 liter turbo diesel now has 170 hp or 125 kW (serial version: 150 hp/110 kW). Its torque is up from 320 to 360 Nm. Two further engines are currently being developed: the “little” 1.6 TDI and the 1.8 TFSI, which will also make the new ABT AS3 Sportback an economically and ecologically equally creditable car for a both pleasurable and sensibility way of driving.

The dynamism of the Audi A3 Sportback from ABT is also reflected in its design: It comes across as assertive, powerful and at the same time elegant without even having been moved an inch. The large front spoiler lip and the ABT grille are fully in line with the fender inserts and side skirts. The rear skirt set with its typical 4-pipe exhaust and the rear spoiler make this compact car appear even more compact. On the road, it presses down on the black top, which is also due to its chassis springs with which ABT lowers the car’s CoG by 35 mm. The ABT brake system with its huge discs (345 mm in diameter) and the matching steel-flex brake lines make for ideal retarding values.
A perfect match for this perfect lifestyle car are the DR alloy wheels, available in 18 and 19 inches. It goes without saying that the tuning company also sells the wheel in combination with premium sport tires. After all, the chic ABT AS3 Sportback is also supposed to be a safe driver.



ABT AS3 Sportback - data and facts
AVANTI R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #19
delongedoug
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 124113
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: To infinity
Vehicle:
and beyond!

Default

God, I hate marketing speak.

Quote:
Kempen - More space, more stylishness and - in its ABT Sportsline version - also more sportiness. The new Audi A3 Sportback is a compact lifestyle vehicle that goes down well with everyone. A real premium car through and through, it forms the ideal basis for the traditional Bavarian company’s tuning skills. “It has been our objective to come up with huge dynamism and a self-confident design”, says Hans-Jürgen Abt, the CEO of ABT Sportsline: “The new ABT AS3 Sportback is a winner.”

And its “intrinsic” values are also quite something. Two upratings have already been conclusively tested for their dependability and roadworthiness: Thanks to ABT POWER “New Generation“, the very economical 1.4 TFSI now shows 160 hp (118 kW), up from its serial 122 hp (90 kW). Torque has been increased from 200 to 250 Nm. The 2 liter turbo diesel now has 170 hp or 125 kW (serial version: 150 hp/110 kW). Its torque is up from 320 to 360 Nm. Two further engines are currently being developed: the “little” 1.6 TDI and the 1.8 TFSI, which will also make the new ABT AS3 Sportback an economically and ecologically equally creditable car for a both pleasurable and sensibility way of driving.
The dynamism of the Audi A3 Sportback from ABT is also reflected in its design: It comes across as assertive, powerful and at the same time elegant without even having been moved an inch. The large front spoiler lip and the ABT grille are fully in line with the fender inserts and side skirts. The rear skirt set with its typical 4-pipe exhaust and the rear spoiler make this compact car appear even more compact. On the road, it presses down on the black top, which is also due to its chassis springs with which ABT lowers the car’s CoG by 35 mm. The ABT brake system with its huge discs (345 mm in diameter) and the matching steel-flex brake lines make for ideal retarding values.
A perfect match for this perfect lifestyle car are the DR alloy wheels, available in 18 and 19 inches. It goes without saying that the tuning company also sells the wheel in combination with premium sport tires. After all, the chic ABT AS3 Sportback is also supposed to be a safe driver.
delongedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
nhat
#Belieber
Moderator
 
Member#: 140163
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing
Vehicle:
03 STi
hellaflunctional

Default

Not feeling either one. The Audi version looks too tame and the ABT version only improves the front end. The rest of it is bleh.
nhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #21
07wrxstage2
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 262366
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2006 OBP STI
2000 BRP IMPREZA 2.5RS

Default

Forget the sportback. Im waiting for the sedan to hit the showrooms! If they price it at $40k or less base price then I think this will be my next car. If it's any more I may consider the new Vette.
07wrxstage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #22
Pre
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
CEO- Wagon Mafia

Default

I would buy one of these with a manual. Won't be coming here
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #23
07wrxstage2
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 262366
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2006 OBP STI
2000 BRP IMPREZA 2.5RS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre View Post
I would buy one of these with a manual. Won't be coming here
The sport back probably won't be the s3 in general will be.
07wrxstage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #24
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by delongedoug View Post
God, I hate marketing speak.
Amen brother.
Anybody who refers to their cars as lifestyle vehicles needs to be drug out into the street and run over by an old clapped out buick skyhawk
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #25
Scooby921
Thanks Sir Alex!
Moderator
 
Member#: 88606
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Clarkston
Vehicle:
2011 GMC Sierra
'13 JCW

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07wrxstage2 View Post
Forget the sportback. Im waiting for the sedan to hit the showrooms! If they price it at $40k or less base price then I think this will be my next car. If it's any more I may consider the new Vette.
I've been planning a next car and was looking at the S4. I then decided to check on the S3. Turns out they are listed with nearly identical leg, head, and shoulder space (tenths of an inch different). So the S4 gets a longer hood to hide a larger engine and it has more trunk space. Just for laughs I compared those sizes to the 2015 WRX/STi. Yup, Subaru has nearly the same leg, head, and shoulder space. I was planning to get a "grown up" car that would be quick, fun, and allow me to have 4 doors and haul people in the back seat. For the price difference Subaru might just win.

Have you priced out options on a new 'vette? With the fancy sport suspension, sport seats, and other gizmos I got one up to $73k . If I want a Corvette I think a C6 Grand Sport will do nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre View Post
I would buy one of these with a manual. Won't be coming here
Yup. Audi has followed everyone else into automatic transmissions and flappy paddles. Can't really argue against the efficiency, but rowing gears is more fun. That's another reason why the S3 is off my shopping list. I think a new S4 would also be off the list as I don't think that comes with a manual trans after 2013 or 2014.
Scooby921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.