Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
Qtipimpreza
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 347330
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport L
White

Default '13 impreza remote start

I was digging around on subaru genuine parts dot com, and I saw the remote start fob for 300ish. I assume this is the cost of the kit and not just the keyfob.

Any idea what the install job involves? (Average cost for an install?)

http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/pr...09e9e85263eee4
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Qtipimpreza; 02-24-2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Added link
Qtipimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Guzzi 1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338666
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Limited
SWP/Blk Leather CVT

That is the complete kit. Once installed, you have two fobs that need programed to your car. It integrates with your car alarm and door locks. When you start the car, the doors will lock if they are not already. The engine will stop as soon as you open a door, although you can unlock and open the trunk without the engine dying. I have found it starts the car from a pretty good distance inside the building where I work in the basement. I'm maybe 60 yards as a crow flies away with a couple of block walls and a cement/steel ceiling above me.

As for the install, I found the install doc online and decided to let the dealer do the install. The steering column gets opened up to plug in the connector at the switch, the control module goes under the dash and connected in, the antenna needs routed up the A pillar and attaches near the rear view mirror. The A pillar trim needs removed as does the knee air bag. It took a dealer about 3 hours to do the install.

I should say I am comfortable running and connecting wiring. When I saw what was involved, I decided not to mess with it.

John
Guzzi 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Resurrected
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 322764
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi 1 View Post
That is the complete kit. Once installed, you have two fobs that need programed to your car. It integrates with your car alarm and door locks. When you start the car, the doors will lock if they are not already. The engine will stop as soon as you open a door, although you can unlock and open the trunk without the engine dying. I have found it starts the car from a pretty good distance inside the building where I work in the basement. I'm maybe 60 yards as a crow flies away with a couple of block walls and a cement/steel ceiling above me.

As for the install, I found the install doc online and decided to let the dealer do the install. The steering column gets opened up to plug in the connector at the switch, the control module goes under the dash and connected in, the antenna needs routed up the A pillar and attaches near the rear view mirror. The A pillar trim needs removed as does the knee air bag. It took a dealer about 3 hours to do the install.

I should say I am comfortable running and connecting wiring. When I saw what was involved, I decided not to mess with it.

John
exactly, i had the dealer install on my gf's 13 impreza. Let the dealer do it. avoid the hassle of screwing up the warranty.
Resurrected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Qtipimpreza
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 347330
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport L
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi 1 View Post

John
Awesome details - thanks for the comprehensive info!

Seems like an odd design to have the car turn off when opening the door - safety issue?
Qtipimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Guzzi 1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338666
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Limited
SWP/Blk Leather CVT

Supposedly, it is a safety thing, although the steering would be locked anyway. I only know what I was told. In any case, I can live with it.

NOTE: If you were to decide to take your car in and have this done, they will need all three keys when they associate the starter fobs with the car. That includes the valet key.

John
Guzzi 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
DSM_97_GSX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 366693
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Edited - wrong thread.
DSM_97_GSX is offline   Reply With Quote