Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Mattygb2128
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344472
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Default Cherrybomb Glasspack, 2 questions?

Alright so, I dont have enough money for a full catback exhaust...and honestly Im not going to save up for on either. If i have that kind of money i will spend it on bills.
Ill need a new muffler soon, and i am just wondering as far as cheap mufflers go <$75...is the best bang for your buck to go for Cherrybomb glasspack?? I dont need extra HP, i just want a nice low rumble. Not a fart can ricer sound. Also was thinking about a Thrush Welded or Thrush Turbo.

Also, second, if I decide on glasspack...they dont make them in any color other than bright red, do they?? I really ould rather just have that stainless steel peeking out from my bumper instead of bright red.

I did search for muffler options and read up on it, and thats why I came to the cherrybomb conclusion, so please dont say "you need to search."...The thrushes were added in from when I was muffler shopping for my Ford Ranger over the summer.

Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Mattygb2128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Psychoreo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 79643
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Cromwell
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Terminal black pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattygb2128 View Post
Alright so, I dont have enough money for a full catback exhaust...and honestly Im not going to save up for on either. If i have that kind of money i will spend it on bills.
Ill need a new muffler soon, and i am just wondering as far as cheap mufflers go <$75...is the best bang for your buck to go for Cherrybomb glasspack?? I dont need extra HP, i just want a nice low rumble. Not a fart can ricer sound. Also was thinking about a Thrush Welded or Thrush Turbo.

Also, second, if I decide on glasspack...they dont make them in any color other than bright red, do they?? I really ould rather just have that stainless steel peeking out from my bumper instead of bright red.

I did search for muffler options and read up on it, and thats why I came to the cherrybomb conclusion, so please dont say "you need to search."...The thrushes were added in from when I was muffler shopping for my Ford Ranger over the summer.

Thanks!
They sound like ass
Psychoreo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
BrysImpreza
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3102
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northern, CT
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Ice Silver

Default

If you're not going to do it right, just don't bother. You're going to piss away $150 for a muffler that is going to rot in 6 months to a year.

If you're going to be cheap, look for something like an OBX, they look decent, sound good and will last a while.
BrysImpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
2007 Lotus Elise
(From General)

Default

You can do a glass pack without going to thrush. They are a cheap way to quiet down the exhaust but as they age, the fiberglass will pack down and they will be louder. You can also buy various lengths to meet your needs. I had sidEpipes on my ffr cobra made from glasspacks and they were fine
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
Mattygb2128
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344472
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrysImpreza View Post
If you're not going to do it right, just don't bother. You're going to piss away $150 for a muffler that is going to rot in 6 months to a year.

If you're going to be cheap, look for something like an OBX, they look decent, sound good and will last a while.
$150?? wtf? the mufflers i listed are about $30...not sure what your talking about.
Mattygb2128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
BrysImpreza
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3102
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northern, CT
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattygb2128 View Post

$150?? wtf? the mufflers i listed are about $30...not sure what your talking about.
Well since you never filled out what vehicle you drove, I assumed a new age Subaru which requires 2 mufflers, you mentioned a figure of sub $75, and unless you're welding it yourself, figure about $40-60 for a shop to weld it. You're at a minimum $100 out of the gate.

Either way, It's a bad idea. If you've never ridden in an uncorked Subaru, It's not pleasant. Coming from a Ford Ranger, your exhaust noise would be well outside the vehicle, just annoying everyone else. In a coupe, sedan or wagon, the trunk reverberates everything, and Subarus aren't exact known for their sound deadening.
BrysImpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
Mattygb2128
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344472
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrysImpreza View Post

Well since you never filled out what vehicle you drove, I assumed a new age Subaru which requires 2 mufflers, you mentioned a figure of sub $75, and unless you're welding it yourself, figure about $40-60 for a shop to weld it. You're at a minimum $100 out of the gate.

Either way, It's a bad idea. If you've never ridden in an uncorked Subaru, It's not pleasant. Coming from a Ford Ranger, your exhaust noise would be well outside the vehicle, just annoying everyone else. In a coupe, sedan or wagon, the trunk reverberates everything, and Subarus aren't exact known for their sound deadening.
Sorry, i thought i did. I usually use the android app so i dont see that stuff. Its a 2002 ts wagon. But one, i wouldnt HAVE to weld, i can get muffler clamps and do it that way, which is what i did on my ranger and worked fine. Also, my buddy welds and welds for me for free, so that cost is not an issue.

But annoying everyone else? Im not looking to get a loud obnoxious ricer noise. My Ranger had a nice steel rumble to it but it wasnt loud. Just a different sound.
Mattygb2128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

Fill out your profile so we can actually help you.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
Psychoreo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 79643
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Cromwell
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Terminal black pearl

Default

PM Vision.Dynamix

He had one on his car before he sold it
Psychoreo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
Mattygb2128
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344472
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinshawWRX View Post
Fill out your profile so we can actually help you.
OK i will when i get to a computer. But i just said its an 02 TS. Thats a 2.5. Its pretty much all stock.
Mattygb2128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
Mattygb2128
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344472
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoreo View Post
PM Vision.Dynamix

He had one on his car before he sold it
And okay, will do. Thanks!
Mattygb2128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
AutoPrue
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 115459
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: @atomic_bugeye
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattygb2128 View Post
And okay, will do. Thanks!
Best idea all day.
AutoPrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #13
Nate_1990
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 234485
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Massachusetts
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Rally Blue

Default

I agree, don't bother. I did a flow master and within less than a year it rusted up. The packing came loose as well. I really wasn't surprised.
Nate_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
oOIIJoshIIOo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 295983
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Clendenin, WV
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattygb2128 View Post
Alright so, I dont have enough money for a full catback exhaust...and honestly Im not going to save up for on either. If i have that kind of money i will spend it on bills.
Ill need a new muffler soon, and i am just wondering as far as cheap mufflers go <$75...is the best bang for your buck to go for Cherrybomb glasspack?? I dont need extra HP, i just want a nice low rumble. Not a fart can ricer sound.
When I got my first WRX, I just cut the muffler off and ran a straight pipe with a factory looking tip. Sounded real nice.

And you can't really get a fart can sound out of a Subaru unless you have an EL header.
oOIIJoshIIOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
Mattygb2128
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344472
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOIIJoshIIOo View Post

When I got my first WRX, I just cut the muffler off and ran a straight pipe with a factory looking tip. Sounded real nice.

And you can't really get a fart can sound out of a Subaru unless you have an EL header.
...i said i dont want a fart can sound.

but im curious, how do you run an exhaust without a muffler? isnt it a law to have one? or no as long as your not really loud?
Mattygb2128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #16
Psychoreo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 79643
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Cromwell
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Terminal black pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattygb2128 View Post

...i said i dont want a fart can sound.

but im curious, how do you run an exhaust without a muffler? isnt it a law to have one? or no as long as your not really loud?
Depends on the state
Psychoreo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #17
brett192
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 274252
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan PSM
VF39 + 6 speed

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattygb2128 View Post
...i said i dont want a fart can sound.
And he said you can't get a fart can sound out of a subaru unless you have EL headers. Do you have EL headers??
brett192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
a2cpc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10139
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indy/Broad Ripple
Vehicle:
WRX 09 Outback 15
Miata 93

Default

They still make Cherry Bomb Mufflers?
a2cpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #19
Mattygb2128
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344472
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2cpc View Post
They still make Cherry Bomb Mufflers?
Lol yep
Mattygb2128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
Mattygb2128
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344472
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett192 View Post
And he said you can't get a fart can sound out of a subaru unless you have EL headers. Do you have EL headers??
and OK. It was an easy misinterpretation.
Mattygb2128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #21
brett192
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 274252
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan PSM
VF39 + 6 speed

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattygb2128 View Post
It was an easy misinterpretation.
Not really. You should thoroughly read a post before you make a smart comment. It makes you look like an idiot and even less people will show you respect.
brett192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #22
Unabomber
Big Ron
Moderator
 
Member#: 18062
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I can save you a ton of cash
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Default

Take an icepick to your current muffler and attack it like it was raping your mother. You get the catback sound for $0.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #23
Mattygb2128
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344472
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett192 View Post
Not really. You should thoroughly read a post before you make a smart comment. It makes you look like an idiot and even less people will show you respect.
thanks for your input. ******** like you make this board really unpleasant.
It was misinterpreted. quite easily. now that i see what he was saying, i get it. but it was easy to read it another way. you dont need to be a straight up dick about it
Mattygb2128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #24
emazz104
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 281811
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vermont
Vehicle:
04 WRX
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattygb2128 View Post
OK i will when i get to a computer. But i just said its an 02 TS. Thats a 2.5. Its pretty much all stock.
Don't put a glasspack on it.
If it was a WRX, I would still say don't do it, but it's pretty hard to make the turbo versions sound bad since they have UEL manifolds that give it that "Subaru rumble."
Your car has EL manifolds, so unless you get some UEL headers by adding any sort of loud muffler it will just sound like a Honda.
When I had my 2.5i I had a STi catback, and my buddy has a SPT catback on his 2.5RS. Both sounded/sound pretty good in my opinion, but neither are very loud.
I would highly advise you to try and find either an STi or SPT catback, if you don't want either of those or can't find one for the price you're looking for, at least try and stick with a (quiet) magnaflow or something similar.
emazz104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #25
Mattygb2128
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344472
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emazz104 View Post
Don't put a glasspack on it.
If it was a WRX, I would still say don't do it, but it's pretty hard to make the turbo versions sound bad since they have UEL manifolds that give it that "Subaru rumble."
Your car has EL manifolds, so unless you get some UEL headers by adding any sort of loud muffler it will just sound like a Honda.
When I had my 2.5i I had a STi catback, and my buddy has a SPT catback on his 2.5RS. Both sounded/sound pretty good in my opinion, but neither are very loud.
I would highly advise you to try and find either an STi or SPT catback, if you don't want either of those or can't find one for the price you're looking for, at least try and stick with a (quiet) magnaflow or something similar.
Thank you! This is exactly the type of insight i was looking for! A+
Mattygb2128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.