Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday April 28, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Zyclonnb
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 349176
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
04 wrx
matte army green

Default Wierd turn signal issue..

Hey guys, I just bought an 04 wrx back in december and I love it! Coming home from snowboarding the other night I was at a gas station and as I was leaving I hit my left turn signal. I caught out of the corner of my eye that the right side turn signals came on as well but very dim and were flashing at normal speed. (The front, side, and rear) When I hit my right turn signal they work perfectly fine. I got back to my apartment and was thinking the whole way home what could it be. I got out and all the bulbs work left side and right. I took apart the combination switch and cleaned it out. (I heard that this could help) That did nothing. I would like to check the grounds but do not know where they are all located at. I ordered a new combination switch just to make sure. I do not know if its getting feedback from somewhere or what. I took the bulbs out of the right side and the indicator still said they were on and flashing normally (while hitting the left turn signal). I took the bulbs out of the left side and hit my left turn signal and still flashed normally along with the right side coming on still. Any input or advice would be awesome thank you!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Zyclonnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
Zyclonnb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 wrx
matte army green

I installed a new combination switch and I still have the same problem. Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

The turn signals pass through the emergency hazard switch so see if the hazards are working ok and try cycling the switch a few times to see if that makes a difference. Another possible trouble area is the turn signal hazard module.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Zyclonnb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 wrx
matte army green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar4 View Post
The turn signals pass through the emergency hazard switch so see if the hazards are working ok and try cycling the switch a few times to see if that makes a difference. Another possible trouble area is the turn signal hazard module.
I pushed the hazard light multiple times and I heard a loud click maybe the 5th time and my turn signals worked fine. Then I started my car and it did it again. Would it be the switch then?
Old 03-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Zyclonnb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 wrx
matte army green

Any other input. Still having the issue
Old 03-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

I suggest you replace the turn signal module first. If that doesn't solve the issue then replace the emergency flasher switch.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Zyclonnb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 wrx
matte army green

Is that the black box on the steering column behind the under dash, that makes the clicking sound? Or is it the grey looking one as if I did the FASTWRX LED setup?
Old 03-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

I'm not sure actually. Try disconnecting one at a time and see what happens to the turns signals when you do that. Removing the correct one should disable the turn signals.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
Zyclonnb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 wrx
matte army green

okay cool. I will try that now. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
Zyclonnb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 wrx
matte army green

I removed the turn signal module by unplugging it, they turned off, plugged it back in, and they came back on. Still the left turn signal when on, the right side comes on too, but is dim. I can trace the wires back to make sure there is no resistance such as if a wire was grounded out or shorting. But my question is would the short or grounded wire be on the left or the right side. Or is there a way I can either de-pin the right side from the hazard switch or the turn signal module to make sure its not the module or the hazard switch?

Last edited by Zyclonnb; 03-17-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
Zyclonnb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 wrx
matte army green

For instance de-pin LgB and BG from the hazard switch to rule it out or the combo switch. Something along those lines
Old 03-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

After thinking about this some more I now suspect the problem you are having is in the hazard switching. To see if the wiring to the lights is okay we can do some testing. While the drawing doesn't show the lights it does show they are connected to A(right side) and B(left side) for the wiring to the lights. Disconnect the hazard switch to isolate that part of the circuit. Then one at a time, apply power to pins 3 and 4 of the hazard switch connector. Check the lights as you do each side and see if each side works ok and check the indicator lights in the dash also. If things work ok like that then the trouble is most likely with the hazard switch.

Last edited by Cougar4; 03-18-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
Zyclonnb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 wrx
matte army green

Quote:
After thinking about this some more I now suspect the problem you are having is in the hazard switching. To see if the wiring to the lights is okay we can do some testing. While the drawing doesn't show the lights it does show they are connected to A(right side) and B(left side) for the wiring to the lights. Disconnect the hazard switch to isolate that part of the circuit. Then one at a time, apply power to pins 3 and 4 of the hazard switch connector. Check the lights as you do each side and see if each side works ok and check the indicator lights in the dash also. If things work ok like that then the trouble is most likely with the hazard switch.
Awesome man thank you!! After work tomorrow I will try that. I checked the continuity of the power wires and ground to rule out a short or a ground and got 0.00 on all of them. So I am hoping it is the switch! Thank you Cougar4!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:37 AM   #14
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

I'm a little confused with what you say about your testing. Seeing a reading of 0.00 means there is no resistance between the probes. Like measuring a piece of wire end to end. So if you place one probe on the power side of the circuit and the other on ground and get a reading of 0.00 ohms that means there is a dead short between power and ground. Since no fuses are burning out apparently, I don't think there is a short on the power supply. There does seem to be indication that the two sides are bridging together and that is most likely due to the contacts in the hazard switch.

I just had another thought while typing this. If you have a wire harness for a trailer check the pins out for corrosion. Power can get bridged to the other side that way also.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #15
Zyclonnb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 wrx
matte army green

Quote:
I'm a little confused with what you say about your testing. Seeing a reading of 0.00 means there is no resistance between the probes. Like measuring a piece of wire end to end. So if you place one probe on the power side of the circuit and the other on ground and get a reading of 0.00 ohms that means there is a dead short between power and ground. Since no fuses are burning out apparently, I don't think there is a short on the power supply. There does seem to be indication that the two sides are bridging together and that is most likely due to the contacts in the hazard switch.

I just had another thought while typing this. If you have a wire harness for a trailer check the pins out for corrosion. Power can get bridged to the other side that way also.
Yes you are correct, I was testing each power and ground wire from each turn-signal to power source. I was afraid I had a broken wire that was shorting or grounding out so that was the reason for my testing. If a wire was broken etc. I would see a reading of whatever instead of 0.00 ya know. I do not have a trailer hitch. I've read other people had weird issues because of the trailer hitch plug. I am going to try and supply power to those wires in the hazard switch now!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
Zyclonnb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 wrx
matte army green

Okay so I just applied power to the two wires at the hazard switch. When I applied power the the LgB the right came on fine. When I supplied power to the BG they both came on still the right side is dim.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #17
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

I assume you removed the hazard switch when you did the test so it wouldn't influence the testing. If you did remove it then this means the switch is okay and the trouble is further down the line towards the lights and the left side is bridging on to the right side somehow.
See if you have some sort of connector in the left rear of the car going to the lights that a trailer harness could be attached to and if you do have one look for signs of corrosion. Since the left side is bridging on to the left side it seems the trouble has to be at a place where both sides are close to each other. They are close in the dash fuse panel, FB-1 and FB-2 are right next to each other. They are close together in the cluster also.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #18
Zyclonnb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 wrx
matte army green

Yes I removed the Hazard switch. Would the harness be underneath the car I'm guessing? I might pull my cluster out the only place I haven't looked.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #19
Zyclonnb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 wrx
matte army green

My fuse slots 1 and 2 are for the heater blower
Old 03-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #20
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

If there is a connector for a harness it should near one of the rear lights, not under the car. If the trouble is within the cluster then the trouble should go away by disconnecting the connectors to it. The fuse panel numbers I gave earlier aren't fuse numbers. They are designators and those two just pass through the fuse panel using a piece of wire. There might be something bridging the two wires under the fuse panel. Not likely, but possible.

I'm still trying to figure out why the right side isn't back feeding the left side the same way the left side is to the right side.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #21
Zyclonnb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 wrx
matte army green

Yeah I understand because if two wires were touching etc. both sides would do it. I'm taking it to a guy who a couple of buddy's of mine had so wack issue and this guys figured them out relatively quick. I looked inside the trunk on the left side (driver) and there were no open clips.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #22
Zyclonnb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 wrx
matte army green

If I disconnect the cluster completely and hit the switch the blinkers will still blink is what your saying? And by doing so and the turn signals work then it's the cluster obviously.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #23
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

You could do that and it should work but you will have to reconnect the hazard switch to do that. I was thinking of just applying power to the pins again to see what happens. Either way should have results.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #24
Zyclonnb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 wrx
matte army green

Okay I unplugged the cluster and the issue still exist. I am really lost. If there was a ground, short, or a cross between wires the right would do it also and fuses would be blown. Only thing I can think of is the module itself.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #25
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

The problem is, the left side turn signal wiring is bridging some voltage to the right side turn signal after the cluster and the hazard switch. The most likely suspect for that kind of thing is a problem with a trailer hitch harness but it appears you don't have one. The trouble could be due to a problem with the front lights instead of the rear ones. At this point I think the next best thing to do is try to find out if the trouble is with the rear or front wiring. There should be a connector in the rear area that will connect the rear lights to the front wiring. Separating the connector and then testing the voltage again will determine if the problem is with the rear or front lights.