Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
ierichuljev
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330442
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Spring, TEXAS
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Midnight Black Pearl

Default Findings of Rotella T6 and engine failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquey View Post
Hey man... you bought the last motor from me, and yes I know it was running great. Very sad to hear it. Have you been driving it hard by chance and what oil was in it (was it low)?!

Yeah thanks it was a great deal i was using the shell rotella and not really it would usually only knock at about 3200 rpm so I drove it softer and it slowly got worse and worse till now it's just a horrible cold crank knock and it just knock knock knock constantly now .

Hondu hunter the first one blew because I was driving too fast and yea basically besides exhaust
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ierichuljev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Fierysun
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ierichuljev View Post
Yeah thanks it was a great deal i was using the shell rotella and not really it would usually only knock at about 3200 rpm so I drove it softer and it slowly got worse and worse till now it's just a horrible cold crank knock and it just knock knock knock constantly now .

Hondu hunter the first one blew because I was driving too fast and yea basically besides exhaust
Not a fan of Rotella because it doesn't hold up well under high load. Use Motul 5w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 (only this weight) with your next motor for better lubrication/protection.
Fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
shamrock 05
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 120057
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: *outskirts of motor city*
Vehicle:
2004 "Bugeye" WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post
Not a fan of Rotella because it doesn't hold up well under high load. Use Motul 5w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 (only this weight) with your next motor for better lubrication/protection.

Can you prove this claim?

Cause u are the FIRST person I have heard of that has talked **** about Rotella
shamrock 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Fierysun
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock 05 View Post
Can you prove this claim?

Cause u are the FIRST person I have heard of that has talked **** about Rotella
Just search this forum and look up engine failure and see how many people were running Rotella. Also, if you have a oil pressure gauge and you run Rotella. See how much pressure has dropped after a hard run at both idle and cruising rpm's.

Use it at your own risk. You have been warned.
Fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:59 AM   #5
scoobasaurusrex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 255114
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2007 wrb wrx wagon
93oct vf43 ewg

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post
Not a fan of Rotella because it doesn't hold up well under high load. Use Motul 5w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 (only this weight) with your next motor for better lubrication/protection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post
Just search this forum and look up engine failure and see how many people were running Rotella. Also, if you have a oil pressure gauge and you run Rotella. See how much pressure has dropped after a hard run at both idle and cruising rpm's.

Use it at your own risk. You have been warned.
You're a retard.

I guarantee that for every one thread I find on Rotella I could find 12 on Mobil1.

The number of people that drive modified Subarus and run Rotella oil is going to be directly proportionate to the number of engine failures they experience. The greater the number of people = the greater the chance of failure, this is elementary statistics but more importantly, common sense.

Keep spewing bull**** out your ass, though. It's exactly what this forum needs
scoobasaurusrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:41 AM   #6
Fierysun
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobasaurusrex View Post
You're a retard.

I guarantee that for every one thread I find on Rotella I could find 12 on Mobil1.

The number of people that drive modified Subarus and run Rotella oil is going to be directly proportionate to the number of engine failures they experience. The greater the number of people = the greater the chance of failure, this is elementary statistics but more importantly, common sense.

Keep spewing bull**** out your ass, though. It's exactly what this forum needs
Do you know the difference between M1 0w30 and 0w40? You're another moron on the internet that doesn't know the difference between good and shiet. Keep using your Rotella, but don't blame the engine when your bearings lets go.

Last edited by Fierysun; 02-26-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #7
scoobasaurusrex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 255114
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2007 wrb wrx wagon
93oct vf43 ewg

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post


Do you know the difference between M1 0w30 and 0w40? You're another moron on the internet that doesn't know the difference between good and shiet. Keep using your Rotella, but don't blame the engine when your bearings lets go.
Oh boy. The difference is in the hot viscosity (thickness/flow). The 40 means that the oil will not thin out as much as the 30 when its hot.

You need the 0 for cold operation to ensure good oil supply to the lifters and other tight passages when heavier weight oils won't flow as well. You need the 40 to insure good lubrication when the oil is hot. If it thins too much it may not adequately coat surfaces. Engine cooling may also be diminished if oil X does not have sufficient lubrication characteristics when hot.

Yes, I'm aware of the differences between "good and shiet," and still Mobil1 will never touch any Subaru engine o' mine. I'll stick with Rotella along with every other guy that knows what the **** they're doing instead of listening to misinformed retards like yourself ride Mobil1's ****.
scoobasaurusrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 AM   #8
Andrewxxcarlson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316415
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post


Do you know the difference between M1 0w30 and 0w40? You're another moron on the internet that doesn't know the difference between good and shiet. Keep using your Rotella, but don't blame the engine when your bearings lets go.
I'll let you know when my motor takes a ****, team rotella b**ch!!
Andrewxxcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 AM   #9
Fierysun
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobasaurusrex View Post
Oh boy. The difference is in the hot viscosity (thickness/flow). The 40 means that the oil will not thin out as much as the 30 when its hot.

You need the 0 for cold operation to ensure good oil supply to the lifters and other tight passages when heavier weight oils won't flow as well. You need the 40 to insure good lubrication when the oil is hot. If it thins too much it may not adequately coat surfaces. Engine cooling may also be diminished if oil X does not have sufficient lubrication characteristics when hot.

Yes, I'm aware of the differences between "good and shiet," and still Mobil1 will never touch any Subaru engine o' mine. I'll stick with Rotella along with every other guy that knows what the **** they're doing instead of listening to misinformed retards like yourself ride Mobil1's ****.
Actually, you clearly don't know the difference. Both Rotella and M1 0w30 suck because they both have huge pressure drop (thins out) when pushed. However, M1 0w40 is a completely different oil and is considerably better than both of them, but you wouldn't know that would you? Because you talk out of your ass and assumed M1 0w40 is just like 0w30. You're a typical internet idiot, that doesn't know shiet, but talk alot of BS.

The bottom line is, Rotella kills bearings and should never be used in turbocharged Subaru engines. Only an idiot and a fool would claim otherwise.

Last edited by Fierysun; 02-26-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
Spenk
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7164
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Arizona Bay
Vehicle:
2000 Miata LS
Evo Orange Mica (1/644)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post

The bottom line is, Rotella kills bearings and should never be used in turbocharged Subaru engines. Only an idiot and a fool would claim otherwise.
The above is TOTAL NONSENSE and evidence of willful ignorance.
Spenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
wrxlaunch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 181298
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
99 SF

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post

The bottom line is, Rotella kills bearings and should never be used in turbocharged Subaru engines. Only an idiot and a fool would claim otherwise.
Where is there proof of this? I'm apart of the t6 group and would like some proof/literature, plz and thank you
wrxlaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post

Actually, you clearly don't know the difference. Both Rotella and M1 0w30 suck because they both have huge pressure drop (thins out) when pushed. However, M1 0w40 is a completely different oil and is considerably better than both of them, but you wouldn't know that would you? Because you talk out of your ass and assumed M1 0w40 is just like 0w30. You're a typical internet idiot, that doesn't know shiet, but talk alot of BS.

The bottom line is, Rotella kills bearings and should never be used in turbocharged Subaru engines. Only an idiot and a fool would claim otherwise.
You clearly know very little about oil. ALL of the oils that you mentioned CAN have a slight pressure drop with some use and hard driving. M1 0W-40 has a thinner kinematic viscosity that RT6 in all temps as well as having a lower High Temp High Shear viscosity, so RT6 will have higher oil pressure in all temps than M1 0W-40 (especially with M1 0W-40's higher Viscosity Index). M1 0W-40 is an excellent oil meeting lots of manufacturer specs, but it will not have more pressure than RT6 in any temperature. UOA's show both oils perform very well in Subaru turbos.

I would just stop now and do more research before posting. I'll get you started with these links about HTHS:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...=530501&page=1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1988816

I'll leave it up to you to find the HTHSv of the aforementioned oils as well as researching Viscosity Index.

-Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
Fierysun
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
You clearly know very little about oil. ALL of the oils that you mentioned CAN have a slight pressure drop with some use and hard driving. M1 0W-40 has a thinner kinematic viscosity that RT6 in all temps as well as having a lower High Temp High Shear viscosity, so RT6 will have higher oil pressure in all temps than M1 0W-40 (especially with M1 0W-40's higher Viscosity Index). M1 0W-40 is an excellent oil meeting lots of manufacturer specs, but it will not have more pressure than RT6 in any temperature. UOA's show both oils perform very well in Subaru turbos.

I would just stop now and do more research before posting. I'll get you started with these links about HTHS:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...=530501&page=1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1988816

I'll leave it up to you to find the HTHSv of the aforementioned oils as well as researching Viscosity Index.

-Dennis
The "actual" amount of pressure drop/thinning of Rotella and M1 0w40 is very different from each other in real world conditions. All you need to do is monitor the oil pressure of both oils under hard conditions. Rotella drops considerably more (i had seen it drop by 10+psi) than M1 0w40 (around 5psi). Hence Rotella has a poorer ability in continuing to provide a layer of film between the journals and the bearing under high load situations. Also, it's clear that you and many others have not used M1 0w40, let alone monitor how it behaves over time. I have and the difference is day and night compared to Rotella. Rotella breaks down quickly and is about as good as water. With that being said, I like Motul 5w40 the best. It holds up better than the other oils under high load, however it not readily available everywhere like M1 0w40.

As i said before, use Rotella at your own risk and don't buy into the fanboi BS that's a good oil. You have been warned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ierichuljev View Post
I was running m1 0-w40 when my first engine blew but back to my topic !!!

I need a damn engine or a way to fix ! And nobody is helping.
Are you sure it's 0w40 and not 0w30? They are not the same.
Fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
mechatricity
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 290592
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte, NC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post
The "actual" amount of pressure drop/thinning of Rotella and M1 0w40 is very different from each other in real world conditions. All you need to do is monitor the oil pressure of both oils under hard conditions. Rotella drops considerably more (i had seen it drop by 10+psi) than M1 0w40 (around 5psi). Hence Rotella has a poorer ability in continuing to provide a layer of film between the journals and the bearing under high load situations. Also, it's clear that you and many others have not used M1 0w40, let alone monitor how it behaves over time. I have and the difference is day and night compared to Rotella. Rotella breaks down quickly and is about as good as water. With that being said, I like Motul 5w40 the best. It holds up better than the other oils under high load, however it not readily available everywhere like M1 0w40.

As i said before, use Rotella at your own risk and don't buy into the fanboi BS that's a good oil. You have been warned.



Are you sure it's 0w40 and not 0w30? They are not the same.
I suppose it was only a matter of time before Mobil 1 started paying people to post on NASIOC.

I don't even know where to start here- Empirically there are hundreds if not thousands of UOAs that disagree with your assertions.
mechatricity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
Fierysun
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechatricity View Post
I suppose it was only a matter of time before Mobil 1 started paying people to post on NASIOC.

I don't even know where to start here- Empirically there are hundreds if not thousands of UOAs that disagree with your assertions.
LOL! You wish both your points were true, but just like every other Rotella geek, you can't admit it's a bad oil which thins out badly under high load. Also, i never claimed any other weight other than M1 0w40 was any good.
Fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #16
nhat
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 140163
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing
Vehicle:
03 STi
hellaflunctional

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post
Just search this forum and look up engine failure and see how many people were running Rotella. Also, if you have a oil pressure gauge and you run Rotella. See how much pressure has dropped after a hard run at both idle and cruising rpm's.

Use it at your own risk. You have been warned.
I have yet to find any evidence to prove your point. Mind posting some threads which back your statements?
nhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #17
mechatricity
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 290592
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte, NC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post
LOL! You wish both your points were true, but just like every other Rotella geek, you can't admit it's a bad oil which thins out badly under high load. Also, i never claimed any other weight other than M1 0w40 was any good.
...still waiting for evidence of shear and engine failures.

Last edited by mechatricity; 02-26-2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: spelling
mechatricity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #18
Sideways the Seven
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320455
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: DFW, Tx
Vehicle:
2005 Outback XT
Garnet Red Pearl

Default

Subscribed. First I've heard of Rotella T6 having anything to do with failures.
Sideways the Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #19
meebs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3251
Join Date: Dec 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Lake Tapps, WA
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatch
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post
The "actual" amount of pressure drop/thinning of Rotella and M1 0w40 is very different from each other in real world conditions. All you need to do is monitor the oil pressure of both oils under hard conditions. Rotella drops considerably more (i had seen it drop by 10+psi) than M1 0w40 (around 5psi). Hence Rotella has a poorer ability in continuing to provide a layer of film between the journals and the bearing under high load situations. Also, it's clear that you and many others have not used M1 0w40, let alone monitor how it behaves over time. I have and the difference is day and night compared to Rotella. Rotella breaks down quickly and is about as good as water. With that being said, I like Motul 5w40 the best. It holds up better than the other oils under high load, however it not readily available everywhere like M1 0w40.

As i said before, use Rotella at your own risk and don't buy into the fanboi BS that's a good oil. You have been warned.



Are you sure it's 0w40 and not 0w30? They are not the same.
You seriously have a fundamental lack of understanding when it comes to the scientific method. You are really stating that *your* observations in an uncontrolled environment, with who knows how many variables, trump actual science?

I'm just... at a loss.
meebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #20
HeroCrank
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 301089
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MAINE
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5 door
TP stage 2

Default

You just wait til your favorite uncle gets here
HeroCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #21
HeroCrank
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 301089
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MAINE
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5 door
TP stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechatricity View Post
...still waiting for evidence of shear and engine failures.
Don't hold your breath
HeroCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #22
Spenk
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7164
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Arizona Bay
Vehicle:
2000 Miata LS
Evo Orange Mica (1/644)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post
*nonsensical blather*

As i said before, use Rotella at your own risk and don't buy into the fanboi BS that's a good oil. You have been warned.
Enough of your unsubstantiated claims, already.

Can't post your sources?

Vote to ban!
Spenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #23
meebs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3251
Join Date: Dec 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Lake Tapps, WA
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatch
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechatricity View Post
...still waiting for evidence of shear and engine failures.
I've actually seen a couple... but the reality is again there are too many variables. And that's just how statistics work. The other fact is there are far more Subarus out on the road running who knows what that you never hear about.

The RT6 failures that I recall were heavily modified, again too many variables. The tune could have been crap, the engine could have already had issues, who knows for sure; I don't remember the details.

There are trends you can see though, and good ideas, and really STUPID ideas. Stressing the engine with a power tune and other parts and not upgrading your oil has to be #1 though.
meebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
gpshumway
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43950
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
07 WRX LTD Wagon
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post
Also, it's clear that you and many others have not used M1 0w40, let alone monitor how it behaves over time.
You know next to nothing about oil, and apparently you know even less about this forum and its contributors.

Dennis' previous UOA with....

M1 0w40:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2444700



Don't let the slamming door hit you in the butt on the way out.
gpshumway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #25
scoobasaurusrex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 255114
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2007 wrb wrx wagon
93oct vf43 ewg

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways the Seven View Post
Subscribed. First I've heard of Rotella T6 having anything to do with failures.
That's because it doesn't. This is clearly normal NASIOC morons that don't know what the **** they're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshumway View Post
You know next to nothing about oil, and apparently you know even less about this forum and its contributors.



Dennis' previous UOA with....



M1 0w40:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2444700







Don't let the slamming door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
Fixed!
scoobasaurusrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.