Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
meberhar
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 294782
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
1991 VW Westy STI
Maroon and rust ...

Default VF43 turbo oil and coolant line hookup question ...

Hi all,

I'm installing a STi engine into my VW Syncro Westfalia Campervan. I'm pretty close to getting it all tied up but I'm going to have to deal with this soon and I'm hoping that someone will be able to help.

Got a question I hope someone can help with. I'm hooking up the turbo to the front of the engine and need to make and hook up oil and coolant lines but I'm not exactly sure where they hook up. I believe the oil lines hook up to the back of one head (not sure where) and I believe one coolant line hooks up there as well but not sure where the other hooks up. Does anyone have a diagram or drawing or maybe could take some pictures for me showing where these hook up to both the engine and the turbo? Maybe both?
I have an 07 STI ej257 engine along with a vf43 turbo.

Thanks in advance!!

Cheers,
Mike
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
meberhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick

Member#: 4562
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

Oil feed and coolant feed lines will be coming from the top of the back of the right side (now your left since you installed the engine backwards) cylinder head. Oil feed will be a small threaded pipe, coolant will be a larger (half in diameter give or take) with a rolled edge for a hose to slip over.

Coolant and oil are both returned to the cylinder head. Coolant can be returned to the same port (as long as the turbo is mounted at or near stock height) oil on the other hand is somewhat finicky. In the old days we would weld a return bung onto the oil pan, this may be your best bet.

Will you be running a subaru 5 spd with the subarugears.com reverse ring & pinion, or are you running the stock 4 spd?

PS: Fill out your location, there may be locals willing to help.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
meberhar
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 294782
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
1991 VW Westy STI
Maroon and rust ...

Thanks! but since the engine was modified by the previous owner and then rebuilt by myself, the small threaded pipe and the rolled edge hose is no longer there. Hences the question ... I did end up blowing air in the holes to see which hole is connected the oil system and which is connected to the coolant system ... Also I think I may be missing a coolant pipe that ran over the head ... I think that may be where the coolant return connected but have an extra coolant pipe that ends under the intake manifold which I believe is a return I may be able to use for the turbo.
I will be running a beefed up oem VW 5spd transaxle in there and plan to change it out with a Subaru once the guys at Subaru gears finish up the end piece for the AWD version. Currently there is only a 2wd conversion kit for the 5spd Subaru. The AWD should be out later this year. It flips the output flange from the top of the transaxle to the bottom so it can be linked up with the Syncro drivetrain.
I'm in Calgary Alberta Canada and am a member of the western Canada Subaru forum. I posted there as well but have yet to see a response, unfortunately ... Good idea though, I'll update my profile here too.

Cheers,
Mike
meberhar is offline   Reply With Quote