Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday October 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
kingflar
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 284698
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Black

Default P1091 and overheating

I recently did a turbo swap on an 03 bugeye wrx installing the stock td04 turbo. I have intake, Perrin inlet, catless 3" downpipe and exhaust.

The car ran great til the seals in the original turbo went so I went with another stock td04. The car sat for about 3 months in a heated garage over winter while I got my finances and turbo in order. Now after the swap it over heats and check engine light comes on. I ran the code and came up with p1091. I know the code is the tgv stuck closed. But which one is it and where is it located on the intake manifold, and how to fix it?

As far as over heating I checked all the lines and there is no leaking that I can see or on the ground while idling. Would the code attribute to this?

Thanks for the help.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kingflar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
booSTin-scoobs
*** Banned ***

Member#: 340148
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2004 wrx - 18g
305whp - 282wtq

Did you refill the coolant and bleed the radiator after swapping turbos? As far as a tgv sticking you gotta pull the manifold off and find out which one it is. There's a few different economic ways of going about that situation depending on how mechanically capable and confident you are...
booSTin-scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
kingflar
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Black

There is no other way to fix it than to take the manifold off? After some more research it is system 1. I have located each one but need to know which one it is. I have unplugged each one and cleaned the connection to no avail.

Oberheating = fixed.

Ps. Will it damage the motor if I drive it with this code? I am moving this weekend and don't want to pay to have it shipped.

Last edited by kingflar; 03-11-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
jaxscuby
Sammo Hung

Member#: 10613
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 USDM WRX
WRB

yes there is a way to check tgv's.
remove the motors and see if you can rotate the shaft.
driver side..
jaxscuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
kingflar
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Black

Is this front or rear facing the motor on the drivers side?