Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 14, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #26
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotsure View Post
I have never been more confused. OP - if a dealer did this why didn't they do it under warranty. Or, is this a salvage car w/o a warranty, thus the concerns?
So far the story is full with a lot of holes just like the guys who get their blown engine not covered but forget to mention that the dealer saw that all 4 tires were melted from doing scoobnuts. lol The way I took it was that a guy who is a subie tech did the work like maybe on the side....or just a guy who knows how to work on subies. It's a guessing game.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Supraru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #27
Higgincr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330332
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FT Campbell, KY
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STI
AWP

Default

Okay ill explain better. Lol


I bought the car used at subaru and there was no warranty as it was already modded.

Wile getting the oil changed the tec said somthing about there being rubber flakes aound the timing belt cover. After they examined it try said it was in very bad shape and needed to be replaced. They replaced it for free but only replaced the belt as the rest was supposed to be okay at only 20k miles. It then started clicking and they said it was fine.. I brought it back a few days later e cause It was making a weird squeak under load.. So they replaced the timing belt and all the pulleys and everything using the gates timing belt kit apparently. This quieted the squeak and the ticking noise a little but it's still there. They said they don't know what the noise is from but I doubt they looked into it much.

The car runs and drives just fine. The ticking is just very annoying.

I'm trying to get it cleared up because a buddy said it was probably valve damage.

I'm not trying to keep going to this dealership an paying retarted amounts of money if someone on here could give better advice on the situation.
Higgincr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #28
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
0910 Leggy3.0/Impr
BLU Leg/BLK Imp

Default

Did they give you a list of all the mods when you bought it? Can you list them?
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #29
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
0910 Leggy3.0/Impr
BLU Leg/BLK Imp

Default

Also, fwiw - you're in the warranty/SOA probs. thread. This isn't, thus the confusion. You'd probably be better served in one of the technical forums?
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #30
Higgincr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330332
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FT Campbell, KY
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STI
AWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotsure View Post
Did they give you a list of all the mods when you bought it? Can you list them?
No they didn't, it was intake, turbo back exhaust, cobb xle bypass valve and some lowering springs.
Higgincr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #31
Higgincr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330332
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FT Campbell, KY
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STI
AWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotsure View Post
Also, fwiw - you're in the warranty/SOA probs. thread. This isn't, thus the confusion. You'd probably be better served in one of the technical forums?
Okay I'm going to try the things suggested above and if it don't work ill go back to dealership.

Thanks for the information guys
Higgincr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #32
BoostedBuggy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338125
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Carolina
Vehicle:
2004

Default

Sell it.
BoostedBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #33
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
0910 Leggy3.0/Impr
BLU Leg/BLK Imp

Default

Good luck to you..and if this is your first Subaru, that noise may be normal. Just new to you?
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #34
backseatwindowsup
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321212
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Naperville, IL
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgincr View Post
Okay ill explain better. Lol


I bought the car used at subaru and there was no warranty as it was already modded.
Wait this doesn't make sense the car still has warranty even if it was modded, its just the mods that aren't covered. This "ticking" should be investigated by the dealership thoroughly and completely free of charge until they find out what the problem is. You shouldn't be paying any money out of pocket unless its confirmed that the problem was caused by one of the mods. If they find out its completely mod unrelated they should be covering the repair no problem.
backseatwindowsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #35
Higgincr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330332
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FT Campbell, KY
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STI
AWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by backseatwindowsup View Post

Wait this doesn't make sense the car still has warranty even if it was modded, its just the mods that aren't covered. This "ticking" should be investigated by the dealership thoroughly and completely free of charge until they find out what the problem is. You shouldn't be paying any money out of pocket unless its confirmed that the problem was caused by one of the mods. If they find out its completely mod unrelated they should be covering the repair no problem.



If that's the case I'm taking it to a different dealership then. Thanks
Higgincr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #36
Bald_Wrex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236005
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Vehicle:
2008 Foz Sports XT
SGM "C6Z"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by backseatwindowsup View Post
Wait this doesn't make sense the car still has warranty even if it was modded, its just the mods that aren't covered. This "ticking" should be investigated by the dealership thoroughly and completely free of charge until they find out what the problem is. You shouldn't be paying any money out of pocket unless its confirmed that the problem was caused by one of the mods. If they find out its completely mod unrelated they should be covering the repair no problem.
100% correct. Mods DO NOT VOID A WARRANTY. You're warranty cannot be void. It can be denied but not void. It is still under factory warranty. Dealerships do not determine warranty on a vehicle. They can extend it through their own programs but they cannot void a factory warranty.
Bald_Wrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #37
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
0910 Leggy3.0/Impr
BLU Leg/BLK Imp

Default

Maybe they can if Subaru voided the warranty and disclosed it prior to sale? Like they would for a salvage or totaled car? I'd think there would be something in the warranty booklet about what would void the whole kit-and-kaboodle...
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #38
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
0910 Leggy3.0/Impr
BLU Leg/BLK Imp

Default

OP - did they have you sign something about the 'no warranty' from Subaru?
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #39
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald_Wrex View Post
100% correct. Mods DO NOT VOID A WARRANTY. You're warranty cannot be void. It can be denied but not void. It is still under factory warranty. Dealerships do not determine warranty on a vehicle. They can extend it through their own programs but they cannot void a factory warranty.
Please nasiocers stop with this silly bs. Your info is technically correct and technically wrong. But I will state as working in a dealer as a tech I have everything to do with you getting denied of a warranty claim or not. Subaru tells us as techs when a car comes in with mods to fill out a "mod" sheet and report. So when you blow up your engine and put everything back to stock and bring it in not only can we easily tell factory bolts were disturbed but we also have record of your mods. From there subaru will make their decision which is usually a toss up. Sure your radio is still covered but in the end if it's documented or the tell tale signs are there that it was modded you can kiss your drive train warranty goodbye. If you wanna split hairs on definitions of words once your car is black flagged you're screwed and anything that is wrong if there can be a connection to your mods you won't be getting covered.

I will state however we had the same scenario at our dealer. Had a clean 2012 wrx with a turboback exhaust, lowered, and cobb ap. Guy traded it in and we sold it quickly. Kid wanted the mods on there. Since we're in Pa and we're a dealer we can't technically legally sell a car with no cats so we put everything to stock and gave him the parts. He came back a few weeks later with a slipping clutch and we covered it for him.....Damn those stealerships, they are such aholes.
Supraru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #40
Higgincr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330332
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FT Campbell, KY
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STI
AWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post

Please nasiocers stop with this silly bs. Your info is technically correct and technically wrong. But I will state as working in a dealer as a tech I have everything to do with you getting denied of a warranty claim or not. Subaru tells us as techs when a car comes in with mods to fill out a "mod" sheet and report. So when you blow up your engine and put everything back to stock and bring it in not only can we easily tell factory bolts were disturbed but we also have record of your mods. From there subaru will make their decision which is usually a toss up. Sure your radio is still covered but in the end if it's documented or the tell tale signs are there that it was modded you can kiss your drive train warranty goodbye. If you wanna split hairs on definitions of words once your car is black flagged you're screwed and anything that is wrong if there can be a connection to your mods you won't be getting covered.

I will state however we had the same scenario at our dealer. Had a clean 2012 wrx with a turboback exhaust, lowered, and cobb ap. Guy traded it in and we sold it quickly. Kid wanted the mods on there. Since we're in Pa and we're a dealer we can't technically legally sell a car with no cats so we put everything to stock and gave him the parts. He came back a few weeks later with a slipping clutch and we covered it for him.....Damn those stealerships, they are such aholes.
Thanks for the input, I guess the only thing to do is at least try and see how it goes
Higgincr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #41
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgincr View Post
Okay ill explain better. Lol


I bought the car used at subaru and there was no warranty as it was already modded.

Wile getting the oil changed the tec said somthing about there being rubber flakes aound the timing belt cover. After they examined it try said it was in very bad shape and needed to be replaced. They replaced it for free but only replaced the belt as the rest was supposed to be okay at only 20k miles. It then started clicking and they said it was fine.. I brought it back a few days later e cause It was making a weird squeak under load.. So they replaced the timing belt and all the pulleys and everything using the gates timing belt kit apparently. This quieted the squeak and the ticking noise a little but it's still there. They said they don't know what the noise is from but I doubt they looked into it much.

The car runs and drives just fine. The ticking is just very annoying.

I'm trying to get it cleared up because a buddy said it was probably valve damage.

I'm not trying to keep going to this dealership an paying retarted amounts of money if someone on here could give better advice on the situation.
Now was that so difficult? All this confusion could have been avoided if you just posted this in your first post. Also what is the mod list that you bought the car with? That also can shed some light as to why they won't work with you.
Supraru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #42
SlimJim8804
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 241943
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NNJ
Vehicle:
2065 Magic Carpet
Swirl Rally Bleu

Default

I hear injector tick..?
SlimJim8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #43
mexicanmissile
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350225
Join Date: Mar 2013
Vehicle:
2013 impreza sport
ice blue

Default My 2013 Impreza 5 speed makes the same noise with less than 1k miles is this normal

purchased a 2.0 l 5 speed 2013 impreza . it had its first oil change at 1k miles. it was noisy before, but now its ridiculous. its like there is a woodpecker in there. any advise. the dealer used 0w20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgincr View Post
I know this has been discussed about a trillion times.. but ive read and tried most everything everyone suggested to no avail, so here is a video and some info on my situation to see if someone can better help me..

First off this all started after doing a timing belt change, car started ticking (ticking nose is not super loud.)

Ive changed all the pullys and timing belt 2 times and no difference. (all done by a Subaru mechanic.)

It is relitive to RPM speed but seems to die out after a certin RPM ither that or my exhaust is to loud and over powers the sound even with my head under the hood..

I keep the oil changed and use Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic and make sure it is changed before it breaks down in consistency.

any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.





http://youtu.be/qxGrkiyWk9A
mexicanmissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #44
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmissile View Post
purchased a 2.0 l 5 speed 2013 impreza . it had its first oil change at 1k miles. it was noisy before, but now its ridiculous. its like there is a woodpecker in there. any advise. the dealer used 0w20
Go to the dealer. You have a warranty.
Supraru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #45
naimouasta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 47998
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
2008 Legacy QSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naimouasta View Post
just the regular injector tick? exaggerated by the mic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJim8804 View Post
I hear injector tick..?
thats all i hear too?

i think the mic of the camera just exaggerates the sound too.
naimouasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.