Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 31, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Cocoa Beach Bum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17355
Join Date: Apr 2002
Default Subaru Guys Pan Toyota's Geneva FT-86 Convertible Concept

This is a blog entry from http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...le-falls-short by the Automotive News staffer who writes all its stories about Subaru (at least the ones that don't originate from Japan).
Quote:
DIANA T. KURYLKO
Toyota FT-86 convertible falls short

March 5, 2013 - 5:16 pm ET

GENEVA -- Toyota Motor Corp.'s FT-86 convertible concept had some skeptics pondering if this was the way to go.

They included engineers from Subaru which developed Toyota's production GT86 coupe, as well as Subaru's version -- the BRZ -- and the Scion FR-S.

Only the latter two models are sold in the United States.

All three models developed by the two Japanese partners have rear-wheel drive and are powered by a Subaru Boxer engine.

There have been rumors about an open-top variant since the three cars went on sale last year. Subaru's answer has always been maybe, perhaps and we're considering it.

At the Geneva auto show, Subaru executives got their first look at the FT-86 open concept. The car has a cloth roof, and Toyota says the concept retains "2+2 seating format with minimal impact on luggage capacity."

It left Subaru engineers scratching their heads. They believe the convertible concept eats away precious rear seat room because of the space needed to hide the roof mechanism.

They wondered: Why not just make a two seat roadster?

How would Subaru do it? They'd create a convertible on a stretched wheelbase by adding about 4 inches so rear seat room wouldn't be compromised.

That's "if we were to do it," Subaru executives said at the Geneva show.

Yes, they have their own convertible under study, but it's not ready for display.

If you lift the cloth on the FT-86 convertible you don't see much in the way of working mechanicals.

Toyota says it built the car to gauge consumer reaction ,and initial press reports laud the car.

In this case, it's like the Wizard of Oz: You have to look behind the curtain to get the real story. And this concept only has room for children in the rear.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Cocoa Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI/SE Mass
Vehicle:
13 Crosstrek XV
00 S2000

Default

Didn't realize that Diana was a guy, nor, is this really a 'pan'.

--kC
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
fredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317270
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Vehicle:
15 WRX, WRB 6MT
14 CX-5

Default

I'm surprised that Subaru would think the way to go is to stretch it out and get a real 2+2.

Quote:
They wondered: Why not just make a two seat roadster?
Yeah, why not?
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Cocoa Beach Bum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17355
Join Date: Apr 2002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Didn't realize that Diana was a guy, nor, is this really a 'pan'.
The only part of that article which might be construed as the author's opinion was the last sentence. The author was merely reporting the sentiments of Subaru engineers and execs who saw the FT-86 concept, and I'm very confident they were exclusively male.

Diana, of course, is not a guy. She actually reminds me of Betty White:

Last edited by Cocoa Beach Bum; 03-15-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Cocoa Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: in a minefield of caddishness.
Vehicle:
1984 That's *Sir*
Weinerlicks of Douche 2u.

Default

I'm perfectly fine with Subaru not building a convertible BRZ at all. A convertible FRS is enough for everyone.
Calamity Jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
mneste8718
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 51562
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh NC/High Point NC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Sedan PSM
EJ205 VF39@22psi 300whp

Default

Targa top pretty please... I would be all over it
mneste8718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
laufu
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 29826
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
13 Legacy 3.6R
Deep Indigo Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
I'm surprised that Subaru would think the way to go is to stretch it out and get a real 2+2.



Yeah, why not?
Hmm, stretching the wheelbase...to increase rear legroom? Maybe the Subaru engineers are hinting at something else? A 4 door? A shooting brake?
laufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
Wrgb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 169096
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Langley BC Canada
Vehicle:
2009 DGM STi Hatch
2000 2.5RS *Gone*

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneste8718 View Post
Targa top pretty please... I would be all over it
Yes please!
Wrgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
cdlong
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 147834
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
1995 240sx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufu View Post
Hmm, stretching the wheelbase...to increase rear legroom? Maybe the Subaru engineers are hinting at something else? A 4 door? A shooting brake?
To add space behind the rear seat for the lowered top. But those other ideas are interesting. Could make for better pay off for the chassis adjustments.
cdlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

It's interesting commentary that kind of lends to my thoughts, which were, why the hell haven't we seen the car with the top up?
samagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
cdlong
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 147834
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
1995 240sx

Default

Because it probably doesn't have a functioning top. Why spend the money to put together an ill fitting top (or a lot more money and time on onethat fits well) that no one cares about when what you want to know is if people want a convertible or not?
cdlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
keepclam
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120244
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Everett, WA
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy SE Sedan
2006 Pilot EX-L 4WD

Default

Quote:
It left Subaru engineers scratching their heads. They believe the convertible concept eats away precious rear seat room because of the space needed to hide the roof mechanism.

They wondered: Why not just make a two seat roadster?

How would Subaru do it? They'd create a convertible on a stretched wheelbase by adding about 4 inches so rear seat room wouldn't be compromised.
Huh? They would make a two-seat roadster by adding 4 inches so rear seat room wouldn't be compromised?

Subaru's own question applies to itself... why not just make a two seat roadster?
keepclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #13
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepclam View Post
Huh? They would make a two-seat roadster by adding 4 inches so rear seat room wouldn't be compromised?

Subaru's own question applies to itself... why not just make a two seat roadster?
Basic science.


I be trollin'!
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #14
Cocoa Beach Bum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17355
Join Date: Apr 2002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepclam View Post
Huh? They would make a two-seat roadster by adding 4 inches so rear seat room wouldn't be compromised?

Subaru's own question applies to itself... why not just make a two seat roadster?
I think Subaru's guys take their concept cars seriously and were criticizing Toyota's lack of effort and creativity. On the one hand, Toyota simply chopped of the top off the existing car and pretended the result was still suitable for a 2+2 configuration with the ragtop stowed. The Subaru guys felt the rear seat was a joke in that situation and wondered why Toyota didn't expend any effort at utilizing the space behind the front seats more creatively and effectively by ditching the rear seats. On the other hand, the Subaru guys felt that if you did want to preserve the 2+2 configuration for a convertible, then you really need to lengthen the car by about four inches. I don't think these two sentiments are incompatible.
Cocoa Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
Cofusion
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5685
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2011 StiSedanLimited
OBP

Default

Based on Jalopnik's review I don't think Toyota thought this out much for 2+2 see image below

Cofusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #16
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2011 White Corolla
Over 400hp

Default

Makes no sense for a 2+2. People who want a convertible top don't want rear seats...be honest.

Stretch wheelbase. Move engine back. Move firewall back. Move front seats back. Win.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #17
SoDealer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67960
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Makes no sense for a 2+2. People who want a convertible top don't want rear seats...be honest.

Stretch wheelbase. Move engine back. Move firewall back. Move front seats back. Win.
SoDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #18
a2cpc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10139
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indy/Broad Ripple
Vehicle:
WRX 09 Outback 15
Miata 93

Default

The BRZ/FRS/GT86 doesn't make sense with a rear seat(2+2) anyway, so why not eliminate the rear seat, make it folding hardtop, and give it a little more trunk room. Would it look goofy with the top up...probably.
a2cpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #19
SoDealer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67960
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2cpc View Post
The BRZ/FRS/GT86 doesn't make sense with a rear seat(2+2) anyway, so why not eliminate the rear seat, make it folding hardtop, and give it a little more trunk room. Would it look goofy with the top up...probably.
SoDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #20
keepclam
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120244
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Everett, WA
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy SE Sedan
2006 Pilot EX-L 4WD

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Beach Bum View Post
I think Subaru's guys take their concept cars seriously and were criticizing Toyota's lack of effort and creativity. On the one hand, Toyota simply chopped of the top off the existing car and pretended the result was still suitable for a 2+2 configuration with the ragtop stowed. The Subaru guys felt the rear seat was a joke in that situation and wondered why Toyota didn't expend any effort at utilizing the space behind the front seats more creatively and effectively by ditching the rear seats. On the other hand, the Subaru guys felt that if you did want to preserve the 2+2 configuration for a convertible, then you really need to lengthen the car by about four inches. I don't think these two sentiments are incompatible.
OK, I can see that. I took the "Why not just make it a two seat roadster" line to be about the convertible in general, rather than the Toyota-specific version of it. I guess I thought that, if Subaru truly thought retaining 2+2 was the best way to go, they would've instead asked Toyota "Why not just lengthen the wheelbase to compensate for lost rear seat room?".
keepclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #21
Juege
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 37088
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Switzerland
Vehicle:
2004 Outback 2.5 i m
silver

Default

The rear seats are absoutely useless in a car like that! Let them be.
Juege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #22
rallydriverosix
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 145419
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NOR*CAL
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
now with more hatchbackin

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samagon View Post
It's interesting commentary that kind of lends to my thoughts, which were, why the hell haven't we seen the car with the top up?
There have been some posted pics of the car with the top up; Autoblog posted the ones I saw.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/toyot...#photo-5691985
rallydriverosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #23
keepclam
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120244
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Everett, WA
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy SE Sedan
2006 Pilot EX-L 4WD

Default

^Thanks for the link. Top up looks OK to me... not too goofy.

(Some of those pics with the top down really remind me of the S2000!)
keepclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #24
A W
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265433
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juege View Post
The rear seats are absoutely useless in a car like that! Let them be.
Reminds me of the Audi allroad and most of their cars with rear seats.
A W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #25
WRX4US
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 162846
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default

As if there was any real room for rear seat passengers in the BRZ to begin with?
WRX4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.