Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 29, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #76
Sinister redlines
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120641
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Vehicle:
05 HTA3586,BB 2.5L
CGM

Default

Well, PIA is who does my tuning and if say KB wanted to compare I would be willing to try it. I know PIA is a dealer for KB so I am sure we can keep it locked up and not just driven around. To be honest Mike at PIA is looking at a low mount twin scroll for his car and he currently makes 620whp on a full race ts. So is there a full comparison in the works?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Sinister redlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #77
Sinister redlines
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120641
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Vehicle:
05 HTA3586,BB 2.5L
CGM

Default

Well Ts housing in hand just need the spool valve now
Sinister redlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #78
manys
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265277
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Vehicle:
1999 Outback
Legacy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister redlines View Post
Well Ts housing in hand just need the spool valve now
Did you put it together?
manys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #79
Razgeiz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 358782
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Vehicle:
2013 STi
DGM

Default

im very interested in this. I am close to build time and if this works ill have a for sure answer on what turbo i will run.
Razgeiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #80
300zxturboftw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 325461
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
WRB Rotated 35r

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgeiz View Post
im very interested in this. I am close to build time and if this works ill have a for sure answer on what turbo i will run.
Lol. I think you need to explore out into the motorsports world further than Nasioc. These have been used for probably around 3 years now. They do work, but I would highly recommend you try your set-up with and without one to see which you prefer as it does change the powerband and how the power comes in (if you are running high horsepower this is a big deal).
300zxturboftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #81
Razgeiz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 358782
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Vehicle:
2013 STi
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxturboftw View Post

Lol. I think you need to explore out into the motorsports world further than Nasioc. These have been used for probably around 3 years now. They do work, but I would highly recommend you try your set-up with and without one to see which you prefer as it does change the powerband and how the power comes in (if you are running high horsepower this is a big deal).
Care to elaborate? It would be useful to the community if you did. Or at least the places your finding this info so we won't have to trudge through forum after forum of supra applications.
Razgeiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #82
dstroy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283711
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Newport
Vehicle:
2012 STI sedan
Black with scratches

Default

dstroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #83
Razgeiz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 358782
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Vehicle:
2013 STi
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstroy View Post
Now that's a nice piece
Razgeiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #84
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 33782
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing LLC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgeiz View Post

Care to elaborate? It would be useful to the community if you did. Or at least the places your finding this info so we won't have to trudge through forum after forum of supra applications.
To go even further, such such a device was originally patented by Nissan in the 80s and then compounded by by a patent by Navistar, IIRC, however the potent were for function if the system but not the device.

Definitely not anything new. Diesel and gas performance world started using them 5+ years ago.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #85
Razgeiz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 358782
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Vehicle:
2013 STi
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post

To go even further, such such a device was originally patented by Nissan in the 80s and then compounded by by a patent by Navistar, IIRC, however the potent were for function if the system but not the device.

Definitely not anything new. Diesel and gas performance world started using them 5+ years ago.
Wow goes back a bit. I know they have been commonplace in the supra world but not here in the subi world (at least on Nasioc) and my whole hang up is deciding on spool time I find acceptable. 30r will net my goals but just barely 35r will leave headroom to play with. With the qsv I will be good to go with the 35r
Razgeiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #86
300zxturboftw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 325461
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
WRB Rotated 35r

Default

I have a 35r. If you plan on autocrossing choose a 30r and be done with it. Otherwise they spool plenty fast on these engines as it is if built correctly with the right CR. Not even a QSV will give you the response you want if you are autocrossing. I have a 5 speed though, so the gearing sucks, so maybe its different for you.

And if you read the thread from the beginning I've thrown in my two cents with plenty of info.

Last edited by 300zxturboftw; 01-09-2014 at 02:40 PM.
300zxturboftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #87
nomoreshanks
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 369799
Join Date: Oct 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Texas
Vehicle:
2010 997 Turbo
Carrera White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgeiz View Post

Wow goes back a bit. I know they have been commonplace in the supra world but not here in the subi world (at least on Nasioc) and my whole hang up is deciding on spool time I find acceptable. 30r will net my goals but just barely 35r will leave headroom to play with. With the qsv I will be good to go with the 35r
Rotated, twin scroll, GT35 setup from fullrace?
nomoreshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #88
Razgeiz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 358782
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Vehicle:
2013 STi
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxturboftw View Post
I have a 35r. If you plan on autocrossing choose a 30r and be done with it. Otherwise they spool plenty fast on these engines as it is if built correctly with the right CR. Not even a QSV will give you the response you want if you are autocrossing. I have a 5 speed though, so the gearing sucks, so maybe its different for you.

And if you read the thread from the beginning I've thrown in my two cents with plenty of info.
I guess I mis spoke. I see the info in theory. I just was looking for some hard data is all. And no I won't be auto crossing just a DD that I want to take to the strip occasionally.

Last edited by Razgeiz; 01-09-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Razgeiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #89
WhatTurboLag?
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 243992
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Morton Grove, Illinois
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
WRB

Default

I will be doing either a BW S362FMW, or a PTE 5862 with a spool valve. Will do back to back runs with it operating normally and locked open to compare the curves. It's a few months away (gathering parts now and finishing fuel system). This will be a lower boost stock motor setup for now until I put that together.
WhatTurboLag? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #90
RexFTW
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 107179
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Bensenville, IL
Vehicle:
2012 S4 Black
03 WRX S400 Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTurboLag? View Post
I will be doing either a BW S362FMW, or a PTE 5862 with a spool valve. Will do back to back runs with it operating normally and locked open to compare the curves. It's a few months away (gathering parts now and finishing fuel system). This will be a lower boost stock motor setup for now until I put that together.
What I personally would like to see is the car running in actual twin scroll, then single scroll exhaust manifold with that valve and compare those two.
RexFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #91
WhatTurboLag?
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 243992
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Morton Grove, Illinois
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
WRB

Default

If you could get someone to donate a kit for testing I would 100% be down to do the test. APM is building me the kit.



Gangster, it would be quite easy and feasible to test it on your car since we could just dump the exhaust out the side. I'll message you on FB
WhatTurboLag? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:55 AM   #92
Murphdog
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 75414
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Rock Springs,Wyoming
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Its the Blue one

Default

So has anyone done any testing yet
Murphdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #93
scubadoober
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 183520
Join Date: Jun 2008
Default

Koenigsegg likes the idea. Skip ahead to 2:00.
scubadoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #94
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 33782
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing LLC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Default

I'd like to read their patent and have a cross section of that housing.
I say that as I had start patent work on something of relation when I was at Volo Power train to find that my work was too close to a Nissan patent of a device in the 80's and close to an International patent in 07 (?)...mine was separate but would have been buried in prior art.

I'm wondering if they're simply patenting process...
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.